Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This is an interesting point. How can Stanford not pull in great hitters? Where I'm from, they are considered an absolute premier place to land.

Stanford is very much "premier"...academically. However, even if you can get that "top hitter" in, can the player meet the academic standard? I know of a very good freshman pitcher at a high-academic private D1 who struggled mightily with several classes. She's moving on to someplace not quite so difficult. Assuming Canady leaves, you won't see Stanford anywhere near the WCWS next year. Top players head for the SEC, where EVERY school in that conference received a playoff bid, and the two schools joining it next year played for the national championship. They have tons of NIL money.

Apr 20, 2017
Say it again.

Stanford has a great reputation, but lots of schools produce good lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, etc. Arguing that just any degree from Stanford (or similar) is going to set anyone up is nonsense. For a top athlete, perhaps not quite strong enough academically to major in something that employers will really pay for, not leveraging their primary skill set while they can is foolish.

Wonder how they stay in business and charge so much to attend if it’s not worth any more than another school? It’s also about the connections and opportunities made while there. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my eyes that Stanford degree will equal more then a nil deal over time.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Wonder how they stay in business and charge so much to attend if it’s not worth any more than another school? It’s also about the connections and opportunities made while there. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my eyes that Stanford degree will equal more then a nil deal over time.

Mentioned this earlier. If your family income is less than $150K, Stanford is tuition free. If less than $100K, tuition, room and board are free...to ANY student. With athletic, academic, and NIL money at other schools, FAR more is going into top player's pockets while they're in school.

Lots of schools have high retail price tags. That often isn't what individuals pay. Stanford's endowment is ~$37 BILLION. They're not going out of business.

Lastly, if you don't get a degree that's worth something to an employer, what's at the top of the diploma doesn't mean nearly as much. The sticker price means even less.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
This is an interesting point. How can Stanford not pull in great hitters? Where I'm from, they are considered an absolute premier place to land.
Great hitters with 4.0+ GPAs who can get through stanford admissions and choose it over any other school are harder to find especially with an ACC travel schedule.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
If a family's income is less than 100K, they would be hard pressed to pay for private HS, tutors and God forbid travel ball. Tough needle to thread. I am sure it happens but it's probably rare.
Yet, when you look at MLB and see so many players from poor Latin American countries, you wonder if all the lessons and travel really make that much of a difference. Heck, Mariano Rivera used a milk carton as a glove when he was a kid. I don't think even @ANNASDAD would confuse that with Horween, despite the carton's contents originally designed to hold something from a cow.

Who is the team outside the SEC most likely to be able to compete for a title now? Is it Duke? Another premier private academic school? Is it UCLA? FSU?

Jul 5, 2016
There's NIL and then there is NIL. Canady's NIL prospects amount to real money. For the average softball player, I have to believe that NIL prospects range from nil to less than $10,000. So, no, Canady is not leaving money on the table if she goes from Stanford to OU or Texas.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For a normal degree-seeking student, I would agree with you 100%. If she truly wants to be a pitching coach for her future career, then an SEC school will beat it any day of the week.

Imagine her Stanford essay stating her goal is to become a pitching coach. I suspect the admissions committee would get a groan out of that.

Jul 5, 2016
For a normal degree-seeking student, I would agree with you 100%. If she truly wants to be a pitching coach for her future career, then an SEC school will beat it any day of the week.

Imagine her Stanford essay stating her goal is to become a pitching coach. I suspect the admissions committee would get a groan out of that.
If Canady was in the range academically, a word from the softball coach would get her accepted. I know of a couple of athletes accepted at highly selective colleges where their athletic abilities made the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805