Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I don't think the NCAA was ever designed to handle the sums of money on the table. I don't see a way out of the talent imbalance at this point unless you have a draft and I don't see how you could do that without making everything fully professional.

May 17, 2023
I was really surprised the settlement didn't include some kind of cap on NIL money per student. I'm glad they are getting paid vs having to report the $5/hr part-time job to the NCAA like we did. As if we were getting preferential treatment or something:rolleyes:

But I think a cap of say $100k/yr plus tuition, room, and board would have still been great for the athletes, but kept it affordable for most all schools vying for that player.

Nov 9, 2021
I was really surprised the settlement didn't include some kind of cap on NIL money per student. I'm glad they are getting paid vs having to report the $5/hr part-time job to the NCAA like we did. As if we were getting preferential treatment or something:rolleyes:

But I think a cap of say $100k/yr plus tuition, room, and board would have still been great for the athletes, but kept it affordable for most all schools vying for that player.

The courts have basically told the NCAA they don’t have the authority to restrict the earnings of athletes. If they tried to create that rule they would just end up with another settlement. There would have to be some sort of law passed to change anything at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 9, 2021
While it is tough to see star players switching teams from a fan perspective I get it completely. As a dad of girls I love to see the girls capitalizing on their success. NIL allows these girls to make money during the prime of their career. There really isn’t a strong pro option at this point for most of these players. If they can leave college with a degree and several hundred thousand dollars in the bank they are off to a better start than most people their age. They need to get the money when they can for their softball abilities.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
While it is tough to see star players switching teams from a fan perspective I get it completely. As a dad of girls I love to see the girls capitalizing on their success. NIL allows these girls to make money during the prime of their career. There really isn’t a strong pro option at this point for most of these players. If they can leave college with a degree and several hundred thousand dollars in the bank they are off to a better start than most people their age. They need to get the money when they can for their softball abilities.

Don't they need a $125000 car when they're at school. How about exit money. Here's the deal. Play here for 4 years and receive $75,000 a year for the next 4 years. Gotta help them understand tax codes?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Stanford is Ranked 5th in pay. The first salary is early career. the second salary is mid career. Obviously the type of degree that you major in will have a significant factor in your salary. These are just average salaries.

Stanford%20University_50px.png
Stanford University
Engineering, Private School, Research University, For Sports Fans$98,900$177,500
University%20of%20Oklahoma_50px.gif
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus
Research University, For Sports Fans, State School$66,400$116,700

Apr 20, 2017
Something I’ve not seen mentioned but a thought I had with this situation. And not saying this is the case. But what if someone used the portal to become a free agent so the market can set a players value. Then their school matches the offer and they withdrawal their name. This is all uncharted territory especially a female sport. They say a starting qb is 1 million plus. But what is the national player of the year that’s a pitcher actually worth? What could Cagle have gotten last season being player of the year?

May 29, 2015
It just seems crazy to me that a college softball athlete can potentially make more money than the professional players in their sport.

That’s because the long held “secret” was that college sports are professional sports. It’s just formal now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805