Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
Trophies do not buy houses, cars, or nice vacations. They don't help much with the rent either. Degrees from Stanford pay dividends. Now in football the NIL money can create life time financial security. Softball not quite there yet.
Oh, BTW, AC at most D1 schools don't make very much money and need another job to make ends meet. I don't think JT has another job though?
I would say that at Canady's level, she will better through softball than through her Stanford degree.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would say that at Canady's level, she will better through softball than through her Stanford degree.
It's probably a math problem and maybe she will make enough to compensate for not getting a Stanford degree but in the whole country, how many college softball players will make enough money to achieve financial security? How many college softball players are there? It's a long shot. I hope it gets better but at the same time the portal is hurting the game. Why not allow programs to lock up players for 4 years contractually with a compensation package they would agree to when they commit. Free agent in 5th year?

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
The rest of the D1 teams (other than the typical top contenders) should just give up then. They will never be able to recruit and keep athletes if some schools can afford to offer this type of money. Why even have a WCWS? The school that can pay the most will most likely win each time. That’s really disappointing.
⬆️It is really disappointing.

Coaches at the colleges that do not have the Big Shiny effect and money to back it up,... they know they have a lower ceiling. ( have been in conversations with college coaches commenting about this.)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
It's probably a math problem and maybe she will make enough to compensate for not getting a Stanford degree but in the whole country, how many college softball players will make enough money to achieve financial security? How many college softball players are there? It's a long shot. I hope it gets better but at the same time the portal is hurting the game. Why not allow programs to lock up players for 4 years contractually with a compensation package they would agree to when they commit. Free agent in 5th year?
A student athlete being able to manage through the rigors of scheduling both at the same time will finish college with at least some developed skills to manage life a lot better regardless of their degree or if they use it.

These questions/comparisons you're asking about what will happen with the athletes. I think these athletes are already stepping off a platform that's much better than the greater percentage of those that don't go to college and those that drop out. There are also statistics that show College athletes graduate at a higher rate.

Would even venture to say that a student athlete with both on their resume is more impressive than someone who was just a student.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Degrees from top universities are not some sort of magical ATM. The degree needs to be in a sought after major and the student needs to have good grades.
Those degrees create openings for students that other schools do not. If you are pursuing a law or business degree, your salary upon graduation will be much higher than a lower-level school. For example, a client of mine graduated from Wharton three years ago and got a job with JP Morgan. Her starting salary was $185K. She is not getting that kind of money from XYZ University. The same goes for law schools. After four years of working, the average salary for a Stanford law grad is close to $250K per year.

Jun 29, 2023
Those degrees create openings for students that other schools do not. If you are pursuing a law or business degree, your salary upon graduation will be much higher than a lower-level school. For example, a client of mine graduated from Wharton three years ago and got a job with JP Morgan. Her starting salary was $185K. She is not getting that kind of money from XYZ University. The same goes for law schools. After four years of working, the average salary for a Stanford law grad is close to $250K per year.

Kennedy wasn't majoring in law or finance. She has said she wants to be a pitching coach when she finishes playing.

May 18, 2019
I don’t think anyone on here was blaming Canady for leaving - I believe most of us were saying good for her to be able to take advantage of NIL if that is the case.

I just think ethically, if what you’re saying is true about the amount of money the top athletes can command, it seems icky to me for institutions to be able to do that. I don’t know why, it just does. College is/was supposed to be about academics and obtaining a degree - but obviously sports holds a higher value to many.

I absolutely cannot blame an athlete though for leaving for another school if they can command that kind of money. Good for them. I just feel the system is messed up.
I was referring to the twitterverse more than any attitude of people on this board. I don't think it's icky though. I think it's great that athletes can get paid for their skill rather than the institution being the sole beneficiary. The problem is that the ncaa in an attempt to use its monopoly powers to protect the schools has been so short sighted that the legal system has created this cluster#%^* because they have been too arrogant and shortsighted to implement a system that is sustainable and benefits students and institutions. It will get better but this intermediate step is a mess.

May 18, 2019

And there is no reason why a student athlete shouldn't have the opportunity to go earn that salary after graduation and get paid while obtaining their free education?. Let's remember the institutions are raking in 20-50m per year in broadcast rights along with merchandise and ticket sales while obtaining large marketing benefits from athletics.

May 18, 2019
The rest of the D1 teams (other than the typical top contenders) should just give up then. They will never be able to recruit and keep athletes if some schools can afford to offer this type of money. Why even have a WCWS? The school that can pay the most will most likely win each time. That’s really disappointing.
The way that gets fixed is it becomes like pro sports leagues with salary caps, players unions, and contractual obligations. That's where it's headed but we'll see how long it takes. It's always been the case that money mattered in the form of scholarships, facilities, and under the table payments. It's just out in the open and a little more egregious now while regulations haven't caught up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805