Why Do Hips Follow Hands?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I am just trying to identify truths of the high level pitching motion so I don't coach proper motion out.

Monica Abbot has hips. Notice that her hips move to a more closed position prior to the hand coming through and release.

I think this video of Abbott challenges the absolute that the hips must be moved out of the way of the ball.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks for your reply. I guess as an ex baseball player I am trying to understand why you wouldn't want to utilize your hips (as baseball pitchers do). I understand the unique differences of overhand and underhand pitching however I would say at this age she has small hips (no hips, very small) and it would seem to me you would get more power if you closed the the hips or closed them slightly (45 degrees as others have mentioned)

Seems like the hips play a huge role in baseball pitching.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
I think this video of Abbott challenges the absolute that the hips must be moved out of the way of the ball.

I agree, that's why I think this is such a good discussion to have. I find more high level pitchers, when watched in slow motion, actually have their hips partially closed than have them fully open at release. Add to that the study that states that not only is this position common in the pitchers with greater velocity but it is also safer on the shoulder it makes one think. Should there be updated studies done? That would be great. Is this a point to teach specifically or let happen naturally I am not sure. But it feels incorrect to say as an absolute that hips MUST stay FULLY open until after release.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think the terms "open" and "closed" have mixed meanings. Open style generally means the torso squarely faces third mid way through the stride. However, at foot plant, the torso rotates (or closes) to about 45 degrees. I don't believe this rotation by itself contributes to the power, accuracy or any thing other than setting up the optimal body position to deliver the ball. Most of the time it is a non-teach and happens naturally. I believe closing hard or "slamming the door" is inefficient and unnecessary.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
I think the terms "open" and "closed" have mixed meanings. Open style generally means the torso squarely faces third mid way through the stride. However, at foot plant, the torso rotates (or closes) to about 45 degrees. I don't believe this rotation by itself contributes to the power, accuracy or any thing other than setting up the optimal body position to deliver the ball. Most of the time it is a non-teach and happens naturally. I believe closing hard or "slamming the door" is inefficient and unnecessary.

Thank you for the clarification. With that definition I agree that Ueno, Abbot, and most all successful high level pitchers use an open style. I can also agree that the rotation itself provides nothing to the pitch other than positioning the body, maybe providing some stretch across the core which is used in delivery.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Abbott appears to be throwing a curve ball, so you're going to see more rotation of the hips to finish the pitch than you would on any other pitch. Look at her follow-through with her hand and arm. The hand is palm up and finishing near her right hip. That says curve ball to me.

As far as the difference between hitting and pitching a softball, the biggest difference is the plane the primary action takes place on. For hitting it's horizontal. The bat goes across the plate. For pitching it's vertical - the arm goes to the sky then down next to the leg. So the hips become a much more more important factor for hitting, because they help drive the horizontal plane. They do considerably less for anything on a vertical plane.

As far as one video goes, you can find one video to confirm just about anything. You want to look for overwhelming evidence that most pitchers do the same thing. If that's not the case, the action is specific to a couple of players and the exception, not the rule. I tend to like to teach to the rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy