Why Do Hips Follow Hands?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or

Ueno is an open style pitcher who follows through to a closed position.

If the hand released the ball over the balls of the feet, the pitcher would tend to fall backwards. There are two parallel paths that the feet and hand follow, but they are not on top of each other.

This is a great video, pause at 28 seconds, step through using your arrow keys to 30 seconds and watch her hips, she has them at 45 or maybe even more closed well before release, even well before her elbow slots preparing for release

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Ueno is an open style pitcher who follows through to a closed position.

If the hand released the ball over the balls of the feet, the pitcher would tend to fall backwards. There are two parallel paths that the feet and hand follow, but they are not on top of each other.

During this segment below, Ueno is resisting the rotation of her hips and shoulders ....

16q5bs.gif

May 7, 2008
Tucson
But does the ball have to go around her hips? I think that her hips are non-existant. Also, with her delivery, I would never teach that the front foot should be straight towards the batter. But, with many athletes that have made it to the pro league, they use what they have and it works for them.

We have to be flexible when working with individual girls.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Also, with her delivery, I would never teach that the front foot should be straight towards the batter. But, with many athletes that have made it to the pro league, they use what they have and it works for them

I think Escobedo points her toe more towards home as well.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Most of us - not all, have to move the hips out of the way of the arm circle. My DD is 25. So, she would have been taught the open and close method. In fact, I can never remember telling her to open the hips. Now, I am telling girls repeatedly. Here is a still of my DD.
She has no hips. But she still did a "sway" to move them.
Screen shot 2012-11-09 at 11.37.26 AM.jpg

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
But does the ball have to go around her hips? I think that her hips are non-existant. Also, with her delivery, I would never teach that the front foot should be straight towards the batter. But, with many athletes that have made it to the pro league, they use what they have and it works for them.

We have to be flexible when working with individual girls.

I agree we have to be flexible. I am just trying to identify truths of the high level pitching motion so I don't coach proper motion out.

Monica Abbot has hips. Notice that her hips move to a more closed position prior to the hand coming through and release.

abbot.gif

abbot-36.jpgabbot-40.jpg

Attachments

• abbot.jpg
    abbot.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 14

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish