Where did the multi sport athletes go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If we get away from sports in the schools (which a lot of school leaders would like to eliminate), our kids are going to be a lot worse off than they even are, now.

I will ask a kid at lessons, about balance - have you ever walked across a balance beam? No. Played dodgeball? No. Walked across the teeter totter? I am lucky if they know what one is.

They have never played hopscotch. So, if I talk about balancing on one leg, they are lost.

I had a student tell me recently that she had dropped piano lessons, because it fell on the same night as her softball practice. All I said was "Oh, no."

A few years ago, our local high school dropped the idea of playing "sports" in gym class. It's all about "fitness for life," which was largely driven by a young fitness fanatic teacher who was also quite friendly with the superintendent at the time (allegedly).

I personally think that's unfortunate. Yes, it's good to be in shape. But there are lots of ways to do it. I think you lose some of the benefits actual sports bring when all you do is run and lift weights.

Feb 21, 2010
Lexington, KY
I am somewhat surprised by the responses I've seen so far.

I don't believe in today's athletic environment that there are very many, if any, "true" multi-sport athletes. By "true" I mean athletes that can excel in multiple sports. Yes, your daughter can play multiple sports, but can she excel in multiple sports? That's the issue for me.

Some will argue about "well-roundedness" and more opportunities, but to me, the question is, do you want to be "good", i.e., start, in multiple sports, or do you want to excel in one sport and reach the highest level you can reach?

Pitchers in particular come to mind. The really successful pitchers that I have seen work hard on the offseason on perfecting their technique, pitches, etc. If this time is taken up with volleyball or basketball, then the time can't be spent on pitching. The same is true for hitting, catching, etc.

So, if you want to be an all-around athlete, playing multiple sports makes sense. If you want to try and reach the highest level of performance in any given sport, then you've got to spend time working at that sport.

Why is it that you don't see hardly any multi-sport pro athletes? There have been a few, and arguably, Deion Sanders was the best multi-sport pro athlete. Michael Jordan tried professional baseball, but didn't make it out of the minor leagues. Both Sanders and Jordan excelled in their "primary" sports, i.e., football and basketball, but neither excelled in their secondary sports. Why? Both are great athletes, no question. But, in my opinion, they weren't able to spend the time needed to excel in their secondary sports to reach the top level.

I feel the same is true at the youth and High School level, but that it is even more pronounced, as the athletes haven't "mastered" their primary sports yet. Am I one of those "Play softball and no others" coaches? No. But I don't believe that athletes that play multiple sports will likely excel in either.

Last edited:
May 8, 2008
Florida
I am a High school varsity coach. I am faced with the very problem spelled out in these posts. I have an overlap in sports, soccer into Softball. I find that although our non soccer girls condition during softball off season, the multisport soccer girls who come into my program are ahead of the one sport softball players. I encourage my girls to play multiple sports, with the only stipulation that in season softball comes first. One of the problems I have is the soccer coaches not allowing his players to attend tryouts for softball so we hold the roster open for soccer players who have potiential to make team( in our estimation) . It must be realized the main reason for sports in High School is to develope well rounded young "student athletes" not to add to the glory of wins and losses for the coach. PS. I have been coaching for over 25 yrs. and when my former players come back and visit thier first comments are about how much fun it was to play, the relationships they enjoyed and how much they missed the game. Thier win and loss records are far down thier list of priorities.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I believe a one-sport agenda may be right for some, but not all.

Of those for whom it wouldn't be right, Jim Thorpe comes to mind...Danny Ainge and Bo Jackson too.

I think when you get to the pro level (or a DI school) you have to limit yourself to the one sport. the intensity level is cranked way up. Also it is no longer a game, it is a business. A job. I can work at more than one job, but my employer and I would rather I stick with the day job.
The younger the athlete, the less need for specialization. I'm a big believer in cross-pollination. That's why my practices include teaching players how to drive a golf ball and how to throw and catch a football. Cross pollination also keeps their minds open to new possibilities.

The Soviet Union used to find kids who had physical aptitudes in Kindergarten and take them away from their families to train. we Americans used to think that was a terrible thing, an example of the cold war, thuggish, secret-police society that we would never allow! now most of those Americans are gone and the ones that are left can't wait to throw our kids into the fray. (Eyes on the prize, Violet, eyes on the prize!)

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
My fealings exactly, Obbay. Although Ive never taught anybody a golf swing, but I'm sure that wouldn't help them to be a more rounded athelete anyway! ;->

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree with John in that in high school we have more issues with soccer than softball. The dd started on the varsity as a Freshman in both sports. She plays softball 12 months a year and the soccer coach is not happy that she won't play travel soccer during the summer. Even now she has softball 6 days a week and soccer open gym on Sundays. Finding time for both along with school is tough. Track and cross country coach wanted her to do both , which our school allows. Dad said no. She is the fastest girl in our high school, which is why everyone wants her to play that sport.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It must be realized the main reason for sports in High School is to develope well rounded young "student athletes" not to add to the glory of wins and losses for the coach.

John, you are absolutely right...when it comes to HS sports (as opposed to travel sports), different rules should apply. But, you and I know that there are lots of HS coaches who simply want wins.

Aug 10, 2010
Yes there are multi sport athletes!!!

My Daughter is very much like the guy from Michigan. 8th grader, 4.0 avg. 1st seat with the band playing saxaphone. Played JV volleyball (1st time playing volleyball) and the varsity coach admitted halfway through the season she could have played varsity very easily. PLayed JV basketball in 7th grade and varsity this year (8th). Played JV softball in 7th grade, shortstop , batted 4th led the team in RBI, AVG, and homeruns (only 2k's during the whole season). She was told she will be on the varsity this year by the varsity coach. She plays some travel softball, and AAU basketball. She will also be attending basketball camp for 1 week at Princeton and 2 weeks volleyball camp over the summer. With all that she still gets the academic achievement award annually for her grade. She is a 5'7" 145 lb overachiever. And I thank God everyday she is so happy. I do not care if she plays college (softball, basketball or volleyball) as long as she is happy

Mar 13, 2010
Jack of all trades, master of none.

I played three or four sports as a kid but by the time I was 14/15 I was playing softball year round (remembering of course I CAN do this, living in Australia with the climate. No snow here!)

If your daughter wants to be the best, then she will need to pick one sport and put all her energy into that. If she wants to play because she loves the game and wants to have fun (and I think that's awesome) then play as many sports as you can.

I've said this many, many times, but I don't understand why fastpitch appears to be a young girl's game in America and not something the women play. The thought of anyone stopping here when they go to university or into the workforce is unthinkable. There are women in my association who are in their 50s and 60s. Now it's clearly not top notch fastpitch (and sling shot is common) but they're still playing and having fun. My own grade (B2) is a mixture of teenagers right up to women in their 50s (and the top pitchers in the 2nd and 3rd team are both nearing 60s and fast windmill pitchers) I personally work six days a week most weeks and I still have time to train and play. I love it! And I don't understand why these girls who spend all this time on their chosen sport appear to be happy for it to stop once they reach a certain age.

Jul 17, 2009
When developing athletes you need to "cook 'em slow". Check out Josef Drabek's book on sports training for children. He cites several studies out of Europe that found that early sport specialization results in children who attain their peak of sport mastery earlier than their multi sport counterparts. However, the multisport athletes who specialize later in their sporting careers may not reach their level of mastery until a later age but their level of mastery tended to be higher than the early specialization athletes were able to reach.
Of course the athletes who are able to attain the highest level of play in multiple sports concurrently are few and far between. The question should be how many professional athletes played multiple sports in high school?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy