When did your DD first throw 60 mph?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
I am trying to get my DD to starting "thinking" more in the circle. If she does not agree with a pitch call, shake it off or call the catcher out. Being a mind numbed robot that just throws whatever is called is a recipe for disaster, especially when the coaching is less than stellar. At the end of the day, if my DD gives up a HR everyone looks at her, not the coach who called a fastball down the middle 0-2 to a batter whose nickname is "Killer"...

And let's not forget being able to field the position defensively. Pitchers that can can help out defensively are a huge asset to the team imo - have seen some great power pitchers in my dd's league that just can't get to the balls quick enough to help out the defense, especially in the short game.

Feb 7, 2013
For those with DD's throwing 60+, what is the speed of their change-up? The reason I ask is DD throws low to mid 50's and her change-up is around 40mph which might be a little too slow against the better hitters. She is working on a knuckle drop and knuckle curve (approx 5 mph slower than fastest pitch) as an off-speed pitch to compliment her other pitches.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
FWIW, I know of at least 2 crazy parents who bragged and provided radar gun proof that their DD threw 60 mph using a unit set to display in kph. Honest mistake in one case, not so much in the other.

60KPH is 37MPH. Honest mistake? That's a huge, huge difference in speed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
For those with DD's throwing 60+, what is the speed of their change-up? The reason I ask is DD throws low to mid 50's and her change-up is around 40mph which might be a little too slow against the better hitters. She is working on a knuckle drop and knuckle curve (approx 5 mph slower than fastest pitch) as an off-speed pitch to compliment her other pitches.

I think the sweet spot for a change up should be 10-15 MPH slower than her fastball. Anything slower and there is a 98.2% chance your DD is slowing down her arm. At high level TB and college a change up needs to be more deceptive than slow, so keeping the arm and body motion the same as her other pitches is critical.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think the sweet spot for a change up should be 10-15 MPH slower than her fastball. Anything slower and there is a 98.2% chance your DD is slowing down her arm.

I agree. DDs change is often 20 mph slower, which works great until you see good hitters who can sit back and drive it! we'll be looking to speed that one up a little bit!

I have overheard batters marvel over how slow the ball goes and they can't detect any change in her movement. unfortunately being so slow allows them the opportunity to "double-clutch" and still hit it.

Jun 14, 2016
Witnessed a 13 y/o at my daughter's travel ballpractice last night that can throw 63. 1st time I have seen a kid that age throw that hard. She is also 6 ft! She seemed to lack control, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Witnessed a 13 y/o at my daughter's travel ballpractice last night that can throw 63. 1st time I have seen a kid that age throw that hard. She is also 6 ft! She seemed to lack control, though.

If she is left handed there is a good chance one of the Weekly's from Tennessee will show up to watch her pitch...

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

Awesome... your team should all stand in for batting practice for her... to help her get control. Sounds like she needs to be be playing 16U :cool:

Jun 14, 2016
This is 16u A ball, she is picking up with us this weekend. I'm not sure what team she normally plays for! She definitely had the wow factor! This is in Baton Rouge, so I'm sure Beth Torina has her eye on her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom