When did your DD first throw 60 mph?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Some random thoughts...

I have a 2002 that I work with that hit 60 mph 3 weeks ago...She went 53mph to 60 mph in 7 weeks...no joke...the college girls who work out where I teach stop and watch her...

At the regional ASA 12U Regional Nationals last year, fastest pitchers I clocked hit 61, 58 and 2@56

At the all-sanctioned World Series in Columbus this year @ 12U in the fastest pitch competition (208 pitchers entered)...winner threw 58...my fastest pitcher threw 55-55-55 and finished 7th overall...DD2 and my other pitcher threw 53-52-52 and were still in top 20...

Speed isn't the be all-end all...compare stats sometime between Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson...or compare Ricketts vs Gascoigne...you don't have to be overpowering to be effective...

The thing I find funniest about the claims in these threads is that there are catchers and hitters that can handle 50+ at 30 feet at 10U...turn on your pitching machine sometime to 52MPH from 30 feet and see if YOU - the parent - can hit or catch at these speeds...it's eye opening!

In line with the thread, Chelsea Wilkinson from Georgia - the 14th overall pick in the NPF Draft, was throwing 58-62 this past year in the Regionals...

There is a local 14U team that fits some of the claims here...REALLY talented bunch...they are the exception NOT the rule...fastest pitcher is @ 56mph...CP

Jun 12, 2015
I am trying to get my DD to starting "thinking" more in the circle. If she does not agree with a pitch call, shake it off or call the catcher out. Being a mind numbed robot that just throws whatever is called is a recipe for disaster, especially when the coaching is less than stellar. At the end of the day, if my DD gives up a HR everyone looks at her, not the coach who called a fastball down the middle 0-2 to a batter whose nickname is "Killer"...

We hope to encourage the thinking this year. DH is AC and he will finally be calling pitches for her. I think she's a LOT more likely to shake off a pitch she knows her dad called than one her Coach called. She's willing to sass her parents but with other adults she's very respectful of authority. We've told her it's OK to shake off a pitch as long as she has a reason she can explain if the coach asks but so far she's never done it. She's really good at watching a batter and figuring out how to get to them. Like, that one can't turn on an inside pitch, that one can't lay off high and outside. I think she catches things even coaches miss occasionally, and hopefully with it being her dad out there she'll have the confidence to take charge of things when appropriate. We shall see...

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
When I heard Sue Enquist speak earlier this year, she made it a point to note that the average speed in the previous WCWS was low 60's. her point was that at the highest levels of the game, you don't need to be the fastest pitcher to excel.
in my case, DD needs to vary speeds more and I'm thinking that when you can throw 60 or better, it gives you more room to vary the speed. TB coach figured out her only problem is that her movement pitches all come in at about the same speed, so smart batters can sync with the speed and adjust for the pitch. she hits her spots and has good movement but another pitcher who (doesn't practice and) throws in the 40s with minimal movement had a much better year.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In line with the thread, Chelsea Wilkinson from Georgia - the 14th overall pick in the NPF Draft, was throwing 58-62 this past year in the Regionals...

I would like to point out that Chelsea Wilkinson throws 30+ RPMs on a RevFire, so her pitches move a lot more than most...

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We hope to encourage the thinking this year. DH is AC and he will finally be calling pitches for her. I think she's a LOT more likely to shake off a pitch she knows her dad called than one her Coach called. She's willing to sass her parents but with other adults she's very respectful of authority. We've told her it's OK to shake off a pitch as long as she has a reason she can explain if the coach asks but so far she's never done it. She's really good at watching a batter and figuring out how to get to them. Like, that one can't turn on an inside pitch, that one can't lay off high and outside. I think she catches things even coaches miss occasionally, and hopefully with it being her dad out there she'll have the confidence to take charge of things when appropriate. We shall see...

I called pitches for my DD for years, and the best part was knowing what was working and what was not, which helped me tailor our bucket sessions during the week. I was also able to work on new pitches in games. A good example - we have been working hard this year on developing DD's change up (kudos to [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION]), but the coaches (TB and HS) have been reluctant to call it because DD has been effective with other pitches. I would work in at least one change up per batter just to give her the practice at "selling it" in game situations...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When I heard Sue Enquist speak earlier this year, she made it a point to note that the average speed in the previous WCWS was low 60's. her point was that at the highest levels of the game, you don't need to be the fastest pitcher to excel.
in my case, DD needs to vary speeds more and I'm thinking that when you can throw 60 or better, it gives you more room to vary the speed. TB coach figured out her only problem is that her movement pitches all come in at about the same speed, so smart batters can sync with the speed and adjust for the pitch. she hits her spots and has good movement but another pitcher who (doesn't practice and) throws in the 40s with minimal movement had a much better year.

I wonder if her reference was to the field of 64 or the final 8. I would imagine the average pitch speed increases as the field narrows, mostly because the teams that are perennially in the final 8 usually have a couple of flame throwers, although Auburn did very well for themselves and I do not think they had a pitcher throwing much faster than 62.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
although Auburn did very well for themselves and I do not think they have a pitcher throwing much faster than 62.

Kaylee Carlson's change-up is one of the best I've seen.
She probably threw it 25%-33% of the time.
Really effective at keeping hitters off-balance.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Kaylee Carlson's change-up is one of the best I've seen.
She probably threw it 25%-33% of the time.
Really effective at keeping hitters off-balance.

Auburn's secret to success was playing great defense and having enough offensive firepower to compensate for their pitching. A top D1 flame thrower had better have a good off speed pitch, even if she throws 70 MPH....just ask Kelly Barnhill!

When DD plays HS ball (right now) I am reminded how important good defense can be. We have a freshman playing CF this season and I cannot count how many fly balls that would have been routine catches in TB became singles, doubles and triples in HS ball...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Auburn's secret to success was playing great defense and having enough offensive firepower to compensate for their pitching. A top D1 flame thrower had better have a good off speed pitch, even if she throws 70 MPH....just ask Kelly Barnhill!

When DD plays HS ball (right now) I am reminded how important good defense can be. We have a freshman playing CF this season and I cannot count how many fly balls that would have been routine catches in TB became singles, doubles and triples in HS ball...

To your point Jake is working on an off speed pitch for the upcoming season. Not sure what it will be, but she needs to have that additional tool.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
To your point Jake is working on an off speed pitch for the upcoming season. Not sure what it will be, but she needs to have that additional tool.

Looking forward to watching Jake this Spring, love the SEC Network!

DD's change up is actually coming along pretty well. She still hangs a few high or buries them in the dirt, but she is getting better about not slowing down her arm. When she throws it correctly (@ 20% of the time) it is a thing of beauty and makes her other pitches look that much faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl