What the WCWS Can Teach Us about the Changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Whenever I see one of my students after a tournament weekend, the first question I usually ask them is “How did it go?” Knowing how they performed in game situation is very helpful in determining what we’re going to work on in that lesson. Hopefully I get more than “good” or “fine” or “terrible” as […]

More...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You almost must have a change up to be compete at a high level. Even better if a pitcher has two off spreed pitches. Say her FB, SB, Rise are around 63 and her change up is around 52. To have a third pitch, usually a slower version of her DP, around 57 will make her that much unpredictable and tougher to hit.

Jun 29, 2023
My daughter is back with more local team for the rest of the summer where she or I call all the pitches. Our plan is she will throw change ups 1/4-1/3 of the time. That has never happened when someone else is calling pitches.

Jul 22, 2015
I can't tell you how many times we faced a pitcher who had a great change and only threw it once every 3 or 4 hitters. If your pitcher has a good one, throw it and throw it often. If it isn't that good, throw it a little less, but throw it anyway.

Jun 29, 2023
I can't tell you how many times we faced a pitcher who had a great change and only threw it once every 3 or 4 hitters. If your pitcher has a good one, throw it and throw it often. If it isn't that good, throw it a little less, but throw it anyway.
My thing is with my kid if you wait until the 2nd time through the lineup and she hasn't thrown one in the last 30- 40 minutes it's not going to be good. I can promise you that.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I noticed Canady tipped her change poorly. She would stop her arm at release, unlike her other pitches, which she always followed through on. Oddly enough, either they didn't pick up on it, or they couldn't adjust to her speed on the other pitches, but it didn't seem to impact her.

What did amaze me was how many change-ups were thrown for called strikes. I've always felt that was a recipe for disaster.

Jul 22, 2015
What did amaze me was how many change-ups were thrown for called strikes. I've always felt that was a recipe for disaster.
For the straight flip change or one without movement it can be. But if it has some drop or curve I loved calling them for strikes early in the count.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach