Can we start a dialog about food options at the fields?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
Walking Taco/Taco in a bag is good. My wife makes a great sweet chili and I'd like to see that as Chili in a bag using a bag of Fritos and cheese. That might be better as a winter thing, though.
Dang, now I'm hungry.
These always sold out when DDs club team hosted tournaments. Big crockpot of taco meat and small bags of Doritos. Add ons were cheese, lettuce, sour cream & diced tomatoes.
We also did pulled pork sandwiches and the usual burgers & dogs.
Early morning games there were fresh muffins & donuts and yogurt.

Jan 25, 2022
Have to admit ... two years in Mississippi and I don't know ...
I grew up knowing it as hot dog chilli, but not as a chilli dog. We didn't do chilli dogs in my home state.

It's not quite the same as the hotdogs chilli I grew up with anyway. The meat is very finely chopped (saucy) then has whatever the cook wants in there. It could be chilli powder and onion, or cook the beef in tomato sauce and use chilli powder, onion, ketchup. Some people add some sugar. You can even throw a chunk of chocolate in there for a nice blend with the chilli powder. For me it's usually whatever I have in the cabinets.

The proper order is bun, weenie, ketchup, mustard, sauce, then onions or Cole slaw if you wish. Cole slaw, in my opinion, should also be very finely chopped.

But to my original statement, its common around here to use the hotdogs sauce as part of loaded nachos. Quality of the sauce can make or break some nachos.

Nov 18, 2022
Oh no, cheaper and easier than that! Use the little 2oz. cups that places use for nacho cheese or condiments. Fill it with a bit of pickle juice, slap a lid on it, and freeze it. We sold them for 25 cents and made more off of those than we did the pickles (which were already a high profit-margin item).

I was calling around to distributors trying to get JUST pickle juice, no pickles. None of them had it. About two months ago I was at GFS and they had 5 gallon buckets of pickle juice. Just 10-15 years too late.

My youngest had these today at a tournament and always get at these fields - .50 cents in the condiment cups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 10, 2019
Walking Taco/Taco in a bag is good. My wife makes a great sweet chili and I'd like to see that as Chili in a bag using a bag of Fritos and cheese. That might be better as a winter thing, though.
Dang, now I'm hungry.
Walking taco very popular here in Florida so not just a winter thing.

Feb 15, 2017
I grew up knowing it as hot dog chilli, but not as a chilli dog. We didn't do chilli dogs in my home state.

It's not quite the same as the hotdogs chilli I grew up with anyway. The meat is very finely chopped (saucy) then has whatever the cook wants in there. It could be chilli powder and onion, or cook the beef in tomato sauce and use chilli powder, onion, ketchup. Some people add some sugar. You can even throw a chunk of chocolate in there for a nice blend with the chilli powder. For me it's usually whatever I have in the cabinets.

The proper order is bun, weenie, ketchup, mustard, sauce, then onions or Cole slaw if you wish. Cole slaw, in my opinion, should also be very finely chopped.

But to my original statement, its common around here to use the hotdogs sauce as part of loaded nachos. Quality of the sauce can make or break some nachos.
Putting ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago can lead to personal injury.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2022
My sister is in the food service industry and some of the local municipalities make operating food trucks/food carts damn near impossible. Each municipality has there own set of fees and requirements. For example, one food truck I know can't go a town over since they only have 3 sinks, not 4. That town requires a seperate hand wash sink from the wash, rinse and sanitize ones. These same towns also make obtaining health certificates so expensive that it becomes pointless to open the concession stand a few weekends a year. Food handlers are also supposed to have a serv-safe course certificate. Concession stands around here, are also not considered "kitchens", therefore limiting what you can serve to basically items that are pre-cooked and need reheating; hot dogs, chicken fingers, fries, pretzels. Even premade sides like potato salad and coleslaw need to be kept in a "temperature - monitored" environment. Not just a fridge, but one designed with an external temperature display and an alarm. There are also tax issues, as technically sales tax is due when selling these pre-prepared food items.
My point being is that operating a concession stand around my area has a ton of red tape that needs to be gone through.
I also think that the no-cooler nonsense at any field is ridiculous and I have always used the "food allergy" excuse with success.
And FYI about hot dogs. Unless you're getting them made by a local butcher, most off brand dogs are made by the big name companies, sometimes not even changing the recipe.

May 13, 2023
My sister is in the food service industry and some of the local municipalities make operating food trucks/food carts damn near impossible. Each municipality has there own set of fees and requirements. For example, one food truck I know can't go a town over since they only have 3 sinks, not 4. That town requires a seperate hand wash sink from the wash, rinse and sanitize ones. These same towns also make obtaining health certificates so expensive that it becomes pointless to open the concession stand a few weekends a year. Food handlers are also supposed to have a serv-safe course certificate. Concession stands around here, are also not considered "kitchens", therefore limiting what you can serve to basically items that are pre-cooked and need reheating; hot dogs, chicken fingers, fries, pretzels. Even premade sides like potato salad and coleslaw need to be kept in a "temperature - monitored" environment. Not just a fridge, but one designed with an external temperature display and an alarm. There are also tax issues, as technically sales tax is due when selling these pre-prepared food items.
My point being is that operating a concession stand around my area has a ton of red tape that needs to be gone through.
I also think that the no-cooler nonsense at any field is ridiculous and I have always used the "food allergy" excuse with success.
And FYI about hot dogs. Unless you're getting them made by a local butcher, most off brand dogs are made by the big name companies, sometimes not even changing the recipe.
Was waiting for somebody to get to this part of the topic! I used to be in food service industry also.
Temperature monitored environment critical!
Food certificate while it may not be an intensive course does explain some basic requirements that are actually very important to not serving contaminated food that creates illness.
For instance that cheepy hot dog may not be the thing that makes you sick as much as it is the cooking surface / method and utensil it was served with.
The person barbecuing burgers that's using the same spatula on raw meat then using it serving your cooked Burger on to the bun.
Cross-contamination from people's hands is a bad culprit.

Ever see that show bar rescue? It's got some disgusting situations exposed.

Oct 4, 2018
I personally think the No coolers allowed thing should be stopped. Would be pretty easy, just don’t play in tournaments that do this. I really never see this where we play, and would absolutely be sneaking it in if they start. Our kids absolutely consume too many bottles of water and Gatorade when it is 100 degrees for that nonsense.

I have some really big Yeti-style water bottles. On the (rare) no cooler fields I'm lugging in several of those filled with water, sports drinks, ice, etc. No coolers when it's 95 degrees out is insane. Borderline criminal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414