What do we practice from now until the Fall?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for all your responses,I'm playing catch with her everyday and trying to keep our work out time to around an hour.I've been reading about core strength but her being only 10 I dont want her do the same type of training a 15 year old would do.So I have gone to some basic training ideas like T-pushups and resistant arm training for her arm strength.Working on some footwork drills to help her feilding speed.I havent started her hitting yet because I've got a new bat coming for her.

Core strength is the most important IMO, although a good strength balance is necessary.

Lots of planks--very important! Agility ladder for foot speed and quickness. Jump rope.

Get her to learn self-toss. Let her hit balls to you, in other words. Lots of them. Most boys can do this; most girls aren't exposed to it.

Great suggestions in the other posts also! Especially the fielding and throwing suggestions!

Wish I was your age again!

Aug 2, 2008
I have to get my DD into her firearms safety class, as she wants to go hunting hunting with me.

If your like me and havent been to one since you were 10 then bring some needles and keep poking yourself to stay awake. Its sure worth it though. My 10 yo killed her first deer last year, we got home and took care of it then an hour later she was at a pitching lesson.

May 5, 2008
My first thought was: let her have fun doing other things. :D

My second thought was core work - there's a lot a 10 year old can do (without equipment) that's fun and also help improve her core and stability muscles to help her reduce change of injury as well as increase power, quickness, and overall athleticism. One way to make it more fun rather than like a training session is to do it yourself. I actually do workouts for myself and my kids like to jump and and copy me mostly because they think it's fun, not because I'm making them to core work (that includes my 5-year-old and my 2-year-old). The simplest core exercise I do and encourage players to do - brush their teeth and brush their hair while standing on one foot. Use one foot in the morning (for teeth) and the other in the evening.

At the same time, the comments about reps is also true. Sometimes at that age, it's just a matter of practicing it over and over and over again when it comes to catching the ball or making contact with the ball. But you don't need to over do it. You can do lots of close drills that can get lots of reps in in just 10-20 minutes a day - then after that do more fun stuff or do "fun stuff" to practice different skills (i.e. use different types of balls, not only softballs; make a game of it, etc).

May 31, 2009
The Ultimate Hitting Machine is a good hitting aid your daughter can use to get a lot of swing reps in everyday. Set a net up and hit into it....indoors and outdoors. For young girls and boys.
Picture, info, and video are on web site. Beebe Sports Inc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283