What do we practice from now until the Fall?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2010
Hello all
First of all I am the father of a 10 year old that has played a couple of years only in rec and she played because it was something to do.However this year she started really enjoying the game to my delight.But she missed on the All-Star team which has struck her competetive spirit,which also has me excited because she has done well at everything she gets this way about.Now my main problem is I dont know what drills to work on between now and fall ball and then thru the winter preparing her for next spring.Also how much training is too much?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hi! Bama.

I would set up a tarp or net that she can hit into. The garage works good, sometimes. You can get or make a tee and throw her soft toss.

Also, make sure that her overhand throw is correct and play catch with her a lot.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
During this off season, go back to refreshing her on her basics and as for strengthening, Increasing core strength would help and exercises on balance and injury prevention.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Since no one has mentioned it and it's the only thing left. Fielding practice.

One of the coaches I've worked with has a saying. "If you hit 10,000 balls at a monkey it will become a pretty good infielder." I've noticed this works well for kids too. At 10u, it's the kids who have fielded the most balls, caught the most pop flies, taken the most swings and thrown the most pitches in back yard that are the stand outs. If you can accomplish those things with correct technique that won't have to be corrected later as she progesses in skill and level of play so much the better. I'd suggest picking up some training DVD's that have technique instruction and drills that reinforce correct techinque and work as many reps on each of her playing skills as...SHE WANTS. Watch out for soreness, gimpiness and all the stuff that would indicate she's over doing it, but give her as much as she asks for as long as she stays healthy. Sounds like you might have a monster like mine that wants to practice 'something' every day. On the upside you get a decent workout too. Enjoy it.

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks for all your responses,I'm playing catch with her everyday and trying to keep our work out time to around an hour.I've been reading about core strength but her being only 10 I dont want her do the same type of training a 15 year old would do.So I have gone to some basic training ideas like T-pushups and resistant arm training for her arm strength.Working on some footwork drills to help her feilding speed.I havent started her hitting yet because I've got a new bat coming for her.

Apr 24, 2010
Speed can be taught!
Running is another huge thing to look at through out the year and it can be applied to other sports.
Pumping her arms eye to thigh.
Knees pumping high
Running on the balls/toes and not landing heal to toe.

All of this helps in lateral and forward/backword movement to field balls defensively and to help her be a threat on the bases offensively.
Running sprints with light ankle weights and running backwards can develop the runner and shave off time running to 1st.

This also improves quickness in other sports like basketball, volleyball, tennis and soccer.

If you look at some of the larger softball players, they are pretty quick because they have worked on their running.

May 25, 2010
Gotta agree with the above.

There's no substitute for speed or quickness and although kids might hate those drills, try to get what you can out of them.

Ground balls, pop flies, and throwing at a target...can't underestimate the value of getting as many reps as possible in the off-season.

My little rec player doesn't really like fielding practice because, in rec play, the game is too slow for her, so she assumes practice isn't necessary. All she wants to do is pitch! Bought her a new fielder's mask, though, so she's been more eager to do field work in order to use her mask. :)

Aug 2, 2008
As soon as our season is over my 12-U daughters and I will be working hard an many things. Fishing, shooting (killing an elk with a .243 requires a precise shot), going to the zoo, the beach, hanging out. You know, the essentials. Basically we forget about softball for a couple months, if this is what keeps them from going D-1 then so be it.

Fall ball on Sunday afternoons for the month of Sept. Then we start in the cages and pitching in November. 9 months of softball is crazy even if you love it. That 3 months off is important to us.

Mike

Jul 28, 2008
As soon as our season is over my 12-U daughters and I will be working hard an many things. Fishing, shooting (killing an elk with a .243 requires a precise shot), going to the zoo, the beach, hanging out. You know, the essentials. Basically we forget about softball for a couple months, if this is what keeps them from going D-1 then so be it.

Fall ball on Sunday afternoons for the month of Sept. Then we start in the cages and pitching in November. 9 months of softball is crazy even if you love it. That 3 months off is important to us.

Mike

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have to get my DD into her firearms safety class, as she wants to go hunting hunting with me. She's also looking forward to some swimming in the river as well as some time out in the Puget Sound fishing for salmon. Idaho's Silverwood is also in our off-season regimen. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283