What college sports require the most natural ability? How does softball rank?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
Softball, and the other stick and ball sport baseball, is most fundamental by how well you can hit a ball with a bat. It is learned, and takes many, many years.

It also allows different body types for different positions. It also tend to support the slightly taller player, but closer to average than other sports. Extra height is not an advantage, especially hitting. Taller means larger strike zone, possibly longer swing.

Great sport for the above average athlete, who works very hard.

Personally, I think much in the softball sport is learned. Can succeed at a higher level with average gene set than most sports (basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, soccer, track).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
I say gymnastics. You have to be naturally gifted, internally driven, and train for hours a day to compete at a collegiate level. Dd's old gymnastics team had a 15 year old level 10 gymnast (they're ranked 1-10) and the girl spent more hours at the gym than a lot of people do at work. Also, you really only see those tiny slim ones at Olympic events. Watch a college level meet on ESPN sometime, they're really built.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I say gymnastics. You have to be naturally gifted, internally driven, and train for hours a day to compete at a collegiate level. Dd's old gymnastics team had a 15 year old level 10 gymnast (they're ranked 1-10) and the girl spent more hours at the gym than a lot of people do at work. Also, you really only see those tiny slim ones at Olympic events. Watch a college level meet on ESPN sometime, they're really built.

I don't disagree that gymnastics is high on this list, although you're combining two things - natural physical ability (size, agility) and then the time/dedication part. If you limited it to natural physical abilities, would it still be so high? Any time that you bring size as a prerequisite, I suppose the answer is going to be yes.

Feb 14, 2014
I don't disagree that gymnastics is high on this list, although you're combining two things - natural physical ability (size, agility) and then the time/dedication part. If you limited it to natural physical abilities, would it still be so high? Any time that you bring size as a prerequisite, I suppose the answer is going to be yes.

I think natural ability matters the most with gymnastics. Dd started tumbling and dance at three y.o. She was a flexible rubber band pretzel child (almost scary, lol) and I didn't realize that she wasn't the norm for girls. All of the higher level gymnasts I've seen have a high level of flexibility, strength, grace, and balance. You can improve those to an extent with training, but you can't create something out of nothing.

In other sports, there is room to hide. For example, if you are an ace pitcher, does it matter so much if your batting average is less than .200? If you are an excellent post in bb, does it matter if you look like a giraffe when you run? But to rank nationally in gymnastics, you have to excel all across the board.

On a side note, the four years of gymnastics and dance have only benefitted dd to the point that she can practically do the splits catching a ball at 1B (her dad does not see that as a great return on his investment).

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
On a side note, the four years of gymnastics and dance have only benefitted dd to the point that she can practically do the splits catching a ball at 1B (her dad does not see that as a great return on his investment).

I remember pulling this move on a close play at 1B 11 years ago playing on a woman's slow pitch team while 4 months pregnant. After the game, my husband suggested I play outfield if I was going to continue to play the remainder of the summer. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44