What are you looking forward to this year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
looking fwd to younger DD's first crack at 10U up from coach pitch, as well as anticipating older DD first time in tournaments!

Happy Spring!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Won our pool and then our two losses were against teams that both finished in the top 6, including a heart breaking 5-4 loss to the Texas Sudden Impact (up 4-2 with ONE out to go) and then a 6-1 thumping at the hands of our "big sisters" (what are the odds that you would face a team in your own org at ASA nationals?).

Texas Sudden Impact ('97) had a great year last year. DD played for the organization at the 2nd year 10U level about 3.5 years ago. They are struggling now though with competition with other organizations being pretty fierce these days (i.e. Houston Power, Texas Firecrackers). A lot of the SI girls on all age levels left for Firecrackers.

On the opposite side of the coin, I am a home school dad who counts rec softball as my daughters physical activity credit, she is 13 and this is only her third year playing (her interest was always basketball and soccer before). She is by far not one of the best players on our team but she always manages to surprise me and do really well. We are moving after the season and she has pretty much decided this will be her last year playing, I also won't be working from home anymore so this is the last of extending bonding time. I am looking forward to spending this last year on the ball field with her (fun thing is my son is helping me coach until he goes off to basic training, he played ball through High School and it is great spending time with both of them together).

On the competitive side, our rec league last year pulled a fast one on their new coach (yes that would be me), they had more girls than expected and needed someone to step up and coach a newly formed third team. At the draft a funny thing happened seems a team had 5 assistant coaches that all got their kids and a cousin and friend when all was said and done come All Stars time that team had 8 All Stars and I had 2, mind you we still beat all our out of league competition but lost to both in league teams. So instead of complain (well I did a little), Dave put on his big boy pants, got on the board, helped rewrite the by laws, implemented a fair draft, now with equal talent across four teams it will be interesting to see what happens. Most of the girls in this age group were on the team that won both PONY sectionals and regionals, although they kind of lost focus at nationals losing to a team they had previously beat at regionals.

@ Coach n Dad....we always go to several UTSA roadrunner games every year, I'll keep an eye out for Jolene, did a quick look at her stat sheet...she is starting, batting .338, used sparingly as a third pitcher 2-3 with a 3.21 ERA . She was tearing it up at Odessa College (one of the better JUCO programs around) but this is DIV I for a reason, although she is probably pleased to get some mound time.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
I'm looking forward to following and watching DD playing on an A team for the first time.
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy myself a good dose of rec ball now and again, I actually
got to watch a beginning 10U team practice last night for about 20 minutes and it was
a blast.

Just watching DD's new 14U team practice is a night and day difference for our whole family.
Seems like a lot more pressure at this level to win, but it seems like a great group of kids and
parent's so far. We are Happy Happy Happy!!

I am also looking forward to the parent's trying to talk HC into going to Normal, IL instead of
Iowa the first week in August, when they qualify.....

I look forward to finishing MS ball and starting back with our TB team. Two more weekends till State tourny and we are done (AMEN)

I look forward to driving one state over 2 times a week for practice. (1 hour each way)
I look forward to seeing my daughters face when she hugs all her friends from her team.
I look forward to sweating to death in 110 degree heat.
I look forward to watching all the talent that is all around us!
I look forward to the Nachos in the concession stand.
I look forward to watching my DD compete to her best ability.

And most of all I look forward to spending quality time with my husband and daughters!

Is there any other way to spend your Summer? I wouldn't know:)

P.S. This was a good thread, it made me smile reading everyone's post!

Apr 25, 2010
DD is 1st year 14u. There has been a noticeable "maturing" over the last 8 months, so I'm looking forward to seeing what changes that brings. There have already been glimpses over winter ball. She's running with a bit more speed and confidence, she is pitching with a ton more control and ridiculous amounts of confidence. (I think that has something to do with the fact that her coach has complete confidence in her.) She started with a new hitting instructor and has come light years from where she was 2 months ago. She just seems to be maturing into her game and I can't wait to see her blossom.

Jun 21, 2010
I'm always wondering where the next great softball players will come from in our area. I'll go watch some rec games to see what the talent is like for the comings years.

DD is doing track in MS instead of softball so I'm excited to see how see does. She will do 100, 200, 4x100 relay, long jump, discus, and the shotput. At least, that's what she wants to do.

Looking forward to see how are TB team will do this year. First year 14U. We start first week of April and will play deep into July.

And of course, I'm always at the HS games. I known alot of the girls for a long time and it's always great to see them play and get better every year.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
DD had very tough fall season for number of reasons, TNTC. Changed teams.
I think DD will thrive with this new team- looking forward to seeing her play with confidence that had been missing and pitching at (or exceeding:eek:) her potential. Of course, there is nothing like early AM Dunkin Donuts, large with cream and sugar.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Looking forward to DD's first year on high school JV team.
Looking forward to DD's first hit.
Looking forward to DD hopefully getting a chance to play a V game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl