What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
the fact that proper crop hopping will actually increase pitcher's velo.....
If you can keep the arm circle speed the same, there certainly will be an increase in velocity since they now will have
additional velocity due to increased translational velocity (kind of like how walk-through radar readings are usually a few mph higher).

Apr 12, 2015
I didn’t read anything in that post which suggested a reduction in velocity because of the crow hopping. That said I have heard people say this happens so the question is whether the reduction is such that it outweighs the decrease in reaction time due to closer release point.
On the same hand, what is the distance gained from the crow hop? As was mentioned above, the crow hops aren't significant, not at all like in the men's game.

Jun 8, 2016
On the same hand, what is the distance gained from the crow hop? As was mentioned above, the crow hops aren't significant, not at all like in the men's game.
Yeah, it isn't huge. A foot or less probably.

Jun 20, 2015
bottom-line, if the rules says it's illegal, then it's illegal and rule to be enforced. PERIOD... Not if I think it helps... Not i don't like the rule... etc. etc.

Jun 8, 2016
bottom-line, if the rules says it's illegal, then it's illegal and rule to be enforced. PERIOD... Not if I think it helps... Not i don't like the rule... etc. etc.
The OP asked what the advantage was..nobody is arguing whether it should be done or not. There have been plenty of those threads the last few years..

May 17, 2012

So there is the way it should be and the way it is. Been having this same discussion for decades. Is it really a rule if it isn't enforced?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
There was a thread posted in February 2022 about Skippy 2.0, AKA Jordy Bahl. That thread went 286 pages. This one could rival it.

Mar 28, 2020
besides the fact that it's illegal, therefore shouldn't be done in games. And the fact that pitcher is releasing the ball closer to the plate and the fact that proper crop hopping will actually increase pitcher's velo.....
all rules should be questioned.....just saying its illegal without a valid justification doesn't make sense......now the increase volicity.....closer distances all make sense to why it is illegal.....if its a possiblity of increased injury that would make sense also.......

For me I am trying to understand the advantage.....my daugther pitches are off extremely when she crow hops.....and that prompted me to wondering.....what advantage does it have as my daughter doesn't get any advantage......for her the to hop or not hop doesn't gain her any additional distance....its the same.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
all rules should be questioned.....just saying its illegal without a valid justification doesn't make sense......now the increase volicity.....closer distances all make sense to why it is illegal.....if its a possiblity of increased injury that would make sense also.......

So, what about this: IF you make crow hopping legal, then what? IMO, pitchers start intentionally jumping forward to be closer to the batter and maybe increased velocity. They would get to the point of exceeding the front of the pitching circle and the distance would be greatly shortened.

IMO, keeping the crow hop (and leap for that matter) illegal keeps the appropriate level of competition in the sport.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06