What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Only if they are pitching the way you have described. Which most are not.

Which while technically illegal, most umpires, opposing coaches, and tournament directors do not care. So why is that? Because it's not the advantage that you are describing. Again see post #4.

Post #4 is one person's observation. No offense, but that doesn't mean much. I didn't see any science or logic.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Never seen it give her any great advantage.
Have you ever seen her pitch without it? I think that would be the only way to tell if she gains an advantage by crow hopping.

If Rad were here, she'd tell everyone to be better hitters and not sweat the leaping.

May 27, 2022
Post #4 if one person's observation. No offense, but that doesn't mean much. I didn't see any science or logic.

Yeah, I am not winning that argument with logical arguments.

Of course if I ignored all logic in my arguments, I would never be wrong either...

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Have you ever seen her pitch without it? I think that would be the only way to tell if she gains an advantage by crow hopping.

If Rad were here, she'd tell everyone to be better hitters and not sweat the leaping.
No, I haven't because she's always done it. I made the comment because she is not a dominant pitcher and gets hit plenty even with the crow hop.

My comments were in part an homage to Rad, whereever she is. I hope she is well.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
No, I haven't because she's always done it. I made the comment because she is not a dominant pitcher and gets hit plenty even with the crow hop.

My comments were in part an homage to Rad, whereever she is. I hope she is well.
The last time I heard from her, she was doing fine. She said she's just tired of the BS.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, I am not winning that argument with logical arguments.

Of course if I ignored all logic in my arguments, I would never be wrong either...

Didn't mean to call you out, more calling out taking your observations and extrapolating them across all players.

Jan 6, 2018
On topic: Crow hopping allows the pitcher to completely open their hips and replant to close forcefully, where as a “legal” pitcher has to either stay relatively more closed, or close without replanting, presumably with out as much force. Another advantage could possibly be the ability to pause or slow the arm at the top of the circle resulting in better timing in accelerating the elbow down the back of the circle while landing.

Personally I don’t care. Make the rule “throw underhand, from the circle, in the lane.”