Weighted Softballs for Pitchers? Good, Bad, or Useless

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The expert that I spoke to by telephone was Allen Jagaer. He said if I wasn't a trained physical therapist type person, to leave them alone.

Oct 19, 2009
DD college coach has the pitchers use a weighted ball, it is white the size between a baseball and softball feels like it is a plastic covering and has seems molded into the plastic. Coach is a follower of Cindy Bristow and I attached an article by her on using weighted balls that she sent to the pitchers. I’m not promoting using weighted balls, just telling the situation DD is in with her coach.

IMO if Hillhouse is against using them it’s good enough for me.

Without starting another thread, how do you feel about using underweighted balls?

5 Tips for Using Weighted Balls

By: Cindy Bristow

Anyone using weighted balls with their pitchers and want to make sure you're using them correctly? If so then check out these 5 Tips for Using Weighted Balls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fastpitch Softball Pitching Weighted Softballs

Weighted balls are a fairly common training device, but one that really needs some caution thrown into the mix. As many of your pitchers demonstrate, pitching a regularly weight ball is hard enough so adding more weight can sometimes only compound the problem.

Here are some Tips for Pitching Weighted Balls:

1.Be Careful with Younger Pitchers - With pitchers 12 years old and younger be REALLY careful using any ball heavier than the standard ball. Their shoulder joints are still growing and developing and the extra weight can sometimes cause joint problems so they really shouldn't be used for this age group.

2.Limit Reps and Distance - For pitchers 13 yrs and older that are still developing both physically as well as fundamentally - their limited use can be good. Limit the time you use them to no more than 8 pitches from no farther than ¾ distance.

3.Keep the Fundamentals the Same - If a pitcher has to change her pitching motion even the slightest bit in order to pitch a weighted ball, then it's not doing her any good. Many pitchers will really struggle to pitch a weighted ball and will use more shoulders, head or upper body than in their regular motion - if so then it's only teaching the pitcher how to throw incorrectly. Remember, you never want to work harder to get worse!

4.Go Lighter to Throw Faster - To help increase speed the lighter ball helps a ton! Pitching a lighter ball makes it much easier for a pitcher to speed her hand up at release, thus pitching the ball faster. Try pitching the lighter weighted ball a few times, then the regular ball a few times and continue alternating. Have your pitcher work on keeping her hand speed at release as fast with the regular ball as she does with the lighter ball.

5.Trying to Get Stronger - pitching strength comes from having stronger legs, stomach, back and hands. If you're using weighted balls to try and help your pitcher get stronger then make sure she's also strengthening these other major areas that pitchers use on every single pitching motion. For a GREAT pitching strength drill check out the Basketball Pitch eDrill.

5 Tips for Using Weighted Balls « Softball Excellence

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I love the underweighted balls. They are fun for the girls. I tell them that if there are any flaws in their mechanics, it will show up with the underweighted balls and whiffles.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is a pretty good article on overweSafe and effective or stupid and dangerous

My take-aways from that article:

(1) For high level pitchers, overweight and underweight balls make sense.
(2) Using overweight/underweight balls without a well devised plan is a waste of time.
(3) Using overweight/underweight balls for young pitchers does not make sense.

For pitchers

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
The sole purpose to using them would be to gain speed. The ability to throw hard is based on many elements related to the kinetic chain and timing. A heavier ball does nothing to that process. Flawed logic is at work if people think it will increase speed.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If you do choose to use overweight balls, have your C roll them back or have an adult catch.
DD's 12U pitcher used one extensively in bullpen and warmups, and it contributed to DD's shoulder injury.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff