I am an unqualified pitching instructor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Anyone with a lick of sense knows that having pitched in college is not a sufficient condition for being a good pitching coach. Likewise, anyone with a lick of sense knows that it is not impossible for someone who never pitched to be a good pitching coach.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug, even I qualify because I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.
4056080091avatar

LOL! I've stayed as well, so I guess I qualify.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
some players were great pitchers,but not great teachers ... and you need to be a great TEACHER to be a good pitching coach

Jun 13, 2009
Well, I could be wrong but I think you're in pretty good company for being unqualified by those standards. I'm pretty sure neither Hillhouse or Boardmember pitched in High School or college. I guess they don't know what they're doing either. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ I didn't either. But, I am have my teaching degree K-12 in physical education. Also, I coached at 2 small colleges and I have spent many years going to the best instruction that I can get AND reading.

Plus, "my DD was a pitcher." Isn't that qualifications enough?

Jun 13, 2009

It is for many. Look at a lot of the top pitchers, then look to see how many of their DAD's are now instructing: it's the good majority. I'm not casting doubt on whether they know their stuff, just saying that a lot of dad's who have daughter's with success then become coaches themselves. Some even build training "tools" that they get their daughter's to market for them to sell.

Did you ever notice this only the dad's doing this? ha ha. It's true!! Do you see Jennie Finch's mom doing lessons? I bet she was at an equal number of games as dad, probably took her to the majority of her lessons as a kid, yet she isn't a "PC".

cg

Oct 22, 2009
^ I didn't either. But, I am have my teaching degree K-12 in physical education. Also, I coached at 2 small colleges and I have spent many years going to the best instruction that I can get AND reading.

When my DD was about 15, she had gone through so many bad habits that I had once joked about how good of a pitching instructor I could be because I've seen every bad habit known to man + some others that only my DD could do.

Then add up all her injuries and what it took to get her back, not just physically but mentally.

Which brings up a conversation I had with her yesterday as we were discussing a pitcher of mine that is suffering from the mental part of the game.
She said, some people never learn how to deal with stress, fortunately for me that was something I didn't have to work very hard on because my mom/coach taught me that well. (---love her!:eek:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves