Weighted Softballs for Pitchers? Good, Bad, or Useless

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello All,

I've gotten into the habit of collecting various types of softballs and I have quite a few weighted softballs laying around. My Pitching DD really never gravitates towards them on her own.

So, the other day I was told by a veteran men's fastpitch pitcher/instructor that she should never PITCH with weighted balls - but use them for exercise (i.e., tossing up in a underhand/pitcher-type form and catching with the glove by herself) but don't pitch with it.

Question(s):
Do weighted softballs really matter for a pitcher?
Do they improve performance?
What's your experience?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Over/Under training has it's benefits. You need to be careful with regards to the "over" weight. It isn't more than an ounce or so if I recall.

Look up the research study on this and don't rely on random forums and blogs.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I never used them, never reecommended them to my student's parents. A few of the parents that DID try them before I met them, said the exact same thing; They saw no increase in speed that could not be explained away by a normal years growth.

I must also add that Ernie Parker once said that he saw no problem with a pitcher using a weighted ball for practice that was no more than a 20% over load. Never more than that.

Feb 22, 2013
I am interested in what people have to say about this thread.

Two years ago, I saw a 14 year old girl use a weighted ball in her pre game pitching warm ups. She would use the weighted ball as she pitched the ball underhand. She threw the ball very fast for a 14 year old girl.

Last weekend we ran into this girl at a tournament and she pitched against my dd's team in an 18U game. She had very good velocity and was one of the top 4 pitchers, speed wise, at the tournament. She didn't have much movement on the ball and my dd's team was able to catch up to her velocity after the 3rd inning.

I stopped in and watched this girl's team play 4 more times during pool play and tournament play. The girl never threw another game during the weekend, even though she was the best pitcher on her team. I went over and asked a parent if this girl got hurt pitching against my dd's team. The parent said that the girl had only pitched one game during the weekend and that she was still recoving from a shoulder surgery that had forced her to sit out her entire 15 year old year.

I didn't pursue the conversation anymore but walked away wondering if throwing the weighted ball underhand during her early teen years could have attributed to her need for a shoulder surgery prior to her 16th birthday.

During the off season, my dd and I throw a weighted ball overhand once a week while playing catch prior to pitching. I believe there is some transference with the weighted softball and throwing a basketball overhand. When teams full court press my dd's basketball team, my dd takes the ball out of bounds after a made basket. My dd can throw a basketball close to the length of a basketball court with enough arch to get over the defender's hands.

When I bought weighted balls for my dd, my original intention was to have her pitch with them. As I made the pitching motion with the weighted ball, I worried that my dd might twist wrong or not have enough strength to do a good arm circle and screw up her shoulder. I have read several posts on softball forums but I don't remember reading or seeing where someone went out and advocated using weighted balls for underhand pitching. I am sure there are some positive posts for the use of weighted balls when pitching on softball forums and pitching websites, but in the last two years I don't remember reading one yet.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
When DD was younger she didn't use a weighted ball, her PC told her she would hurt herself. When she was 16 her PC started working with her with a weighted ball to help increase her velocity. She starts with the weight, 1/2 speed only, then moves to long toss, moving out to the edge of the dirt past 2nd base. It works for her.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I have my DD use TAP balls, but never full motion. It seems to me that the most important area for quickness in the pitch is once the arm is at 3 oclock, palm up, to follow through= this is the only motion that she uses them for. Never full circle. I believe that it helps, but probably not as much as simply having excellent mechanics to begin with, which is why we spend most of the time working on that! and also, having her throw with maximal effort in practice. She says she does, but if I say something that gets her irritated with me when I am catching (she is 15)- the balls definitely come at me harder and faster. I usually try to wait til the next day before I point this out to her :)

Oct 22, 2009
My DD never used them, some of her friends did, never saw any difference in increase of speed with her friends. I don't use them in my class, if I have a parent that wants to I make sure to tell them to keep it to release drills only. I had a parent that was a physical therapist and he said that he was glad I was telling everyone to keep it under their shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad