Anyone can call themselves a pitching instructor.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Who decides if someone is a decent pitching instructor?
Is teaching IR a critical component?
What do I look for in finding a good pitching instructor?

I'm lost too. I cannot find anyone in my area who doesn't teach getting behind the ball early and finishing with a straight follow through.

Like the title said, anyone can decide they are a pitching instructor, and then it's up to customers to decide if they are good or not. I don't know much but I have yet to see someone posting a video of a real pitcher doing the stuff that is taught virtually everywhere.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Had a friendly conversation with my DD new tourney team pitching coach.She said she played college ball pitched.Asked her a couple of questions about what she will be teaching or have my DD do while pitching.She believes in wrist snaps, finish with the elbow pointed at catcher.Asked her does she pitch like that she said no,because she throws alot of different pitches that need spin.Asked her did she ever hear of IR ,nope.She asked me did I ever pitch in softball and I said no but I read alot about it.She then goes on to explain how baseball pitching is totally different ect...Then she walks away.Parents let your DD finish her arm naturally.My DD will smile and nod aloT and keep pitching the way we been practicing and the coach can take credit.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Ever play that party game where a bunch of people sit in chairs in a big curcle? The first person whispers a story to the second. The 2nd whispers that same story to the third, and down the line? The last person tells the story out loud and it is not even close to the original version????

The same thiing happens in pitching instruction. Somebody teaches someone to pitch. Some years later, that person teaches someone to pitch and they try and use the same method/s the first one used on them. A few years later,,,,,,,, and so on and so on.

I have heard many instructors say they were trained by Ernie Parker, as an example. I contact Enie and he says "Yes, I remember him He was an assustant at a clinic I put on on xxx date back in xxx location. I didnt train him on anything".

Yet, that instructors literature and website says he was trained by Ernie and he teaches the 'Ernie Parker style' of pitching!

Parents need to do their homework on the instructors they choose and the claims they make.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
My dd's new pc is a former NPF player, though she was a catcher. She hasn't tried to teach dd to get behind the ball, but I have noticrd when she demonstrates most of the time she does roll her hand up but doesn't pull elbow tight. She hasn't tried to teach this to dd. We don't do drills. She let's dd pitch and coaches her while she is doing it.
We don't really do drills at home either. We warm up by throwing overhanded for a lil while, then move to her throwing underhanded. we do this like long toss with me moving farther away from her. But I tell her not too worry about trying to throw strikes and kinda arch the ball but to get as much distance as possible. Then as I work my way back she starts flattening her pitches out until I reach my bucket and then she starts trying to throw strikes. I got the idea for this from a Link Amy posted a while back for Jaeger Sports. It has really helped her speed and spin on the ball. That's our warm ups. no real drills.
At the end of practice I will do speed drill some times that I got from the pitcher's edge.
I don't know if we should do drills or not but pc said it's ok. Said dd might not be a drill kinda person(whatever that means). Dd really enjoys it better. Her last pc would spend first 30 min of a hr lesson doing drills. This one let's her pitch the whole time.
Glad I found her. Most of the girls in our are go to the same woman and none of them look very good. Most of them lean forward real bad. I don't think they do leap and drag. It looks more like a step. After they plant their stride foot then they kick their other forr out never dragging it forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves