USSSA Nationals Canton, Mi

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2022
This is our second time attending a nationals tournament.

The tournament overall seemed to go smoothly. Bad weather screwed up day 1 of skills contests and the parade for the girls. Due to this, 1 field was dedicated to the HR derby and Skills portion the next day which forced them to cancel 1 pool game for everyone, which didn’t make sense to me.

I will say the younger girls really enjoy the parade part and it could have been done much better. I know they made an adjustment due to the fields being very wet, but in our previous nationals-the parade portion was amazing for the girls.

The umps were kinda all over the place. I’m a nerd about the rules so I read through everything again the night before.

Day 1 of play many of the little things weren’t enforced-no mirrored sunglasses-never enforced on us or others. Uniform matching exactly-never enforced at all-some teams with players that no numbers on their jersey.

Day 2 the umps were sticklers about staff being inside the dugout and no objects being anywhere on the field-but the umps were after jug was on the ground at the base of the backstop which could have a affected play. The umps also forced the on-deck circle to remain on each teams side only for that team. No on deck only behind the batter as a safety precaution. A few close plays where the coach’s appealed the ump just said “he didn’t see it” which is a poor response.

Day 3 we heard frustrations from others about calls but also witnessed an interesting one. Not our team, but home team was on offense (bottom of the inning) had a close play at the plate for out number 3 and the timer went off right as the play happened. Rules are no new inning after timer. Umps got together and decided that he didn’t hear the timer before the 3rd out was called so they started a new inning. The away team almost tied the game!

Our team was on the receiving end of some tough calls-a few i looked at after the fact and agreed soooo close and a few that were clearly bad calls.

In terms of the umpiring, it is what it is.

Our Girls had a few tough games, but had a few good games, too.

The areas around the Canton complex are quite nice. Plenty of places to eat and things to do in down time. We stayed about 20 minutes away so we had to travel a little. There was plenty of parking and there’s a restaurant on site at the
Main complex. Shame the fields took on so much water and didn’t have a better drainage.

There wasn’t a lot of space for the little kids to run and play, but that’s not key for everyone.

I think if he did a tourney up here again, I’d stay even closer to the field and I’d have brought more gear to make a longer day at the park more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831