USE PLAYER VIDEO FOR TRAVEL BALL TRYOUTS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
Yup.

It surprises me that coaches and parents don't do more homework/due diligence.

1. Look up girl on USSSA.com and see what teams she's played for, how those teams did, etc.
2. Look up parents on Facebook
3. Look up girl's teams on game changer and view box scores and play-by-play of some games

You can learn a ton.
Next they'll be checking out the parents' Linkedin. Maybe just send some video to the coaches, but after that, it's just getting too far out there, for what?

Oct 3, 2019
Just wondering why the usual way of evaluating players is no longer good enough, such that facebook profiles, checking team stats on GC, looking them up on USSSA.com, trying to figure out how their teams did to the extent of looking at the play by play? My god! This sounds like a full time job just to put a travel team together. Did none of the old ways work? What kind of team are we trying to put together here, filled with D1 recruits? I imagine it is known what teams a girl has played for as it's stated in the team interest form. Also, a simple phone call to a previous coach might fill in some blanks.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sending a skills video to a coach in travel ball is good to open up conversation about if the coach likes the skills and mechanics they are seeing and what role the coach might have for them on the team. It is also good Preparatory work for those players that are going to want to get recruited to go to college because they will be sending videos to the college coaches to.

Having the opportunity to use video simply means we get to have more resources.

Oct 3, 2019
I responded that sending video was a good idea. My concern was for all of the other investigations into the girl and her family and prior teams.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I responded that sending video was a good idea. My concern was for all of the other investigations into the girl and her family and prior teams.
Ahh yes social media digging happens because people are drama bombs and expose themselves on it.
Probably a good time to remind everyone that what people do on a public forums as teenagers can reflect on them when it comes time to get into colleges.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
What kind of team are we trying to put together here, filled with D1 recruits?.

Yes, coaches are trying to put a team together full of D1 recruits

Not sure which age group we are talking about, but at 16/18U absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Not sure which age group we are talking about, but at 16/18U absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any age group!

Simply supporting the use of video is a great tool for players to see themselves and have their own analyzation. But it's also a great tool to be able to connect with coaches when seeking new teams and also to show your own coach what development you're working on.

Oct 4, 2018
Next they'll be checking out the parents' Linkedin. Maybe just send some video to the coaches, but after that, it's just getting too far out there, for what?

For team chemistry. For a year of drama-free ball. For the best situation for your kid.

Take 20 minutes and do the research.

Or don't, and complain about your team and wonder how this could have been prevented.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My guess is that the more talented players would be in favor of sending a video. Show off! Get early attention. The less talented would like to go to tryout and hope coach sees something they like or can work with. Videos may not tell the whole story, but a lot of info gathered.

Yesterday DD attended a winter camp. Thirty-five or so 12U-16U mostly 14u players. I could predict with a fair degree of accuracy (80%) how well the player was going hit just by watching her get in the box and take her stance. Way too many girls tilted back (shoulders uphill) with all their weight on their back foot. (ABAF approach) And to think most of these girls are taking private hitting lessons. Out of the 35 players maybe 8 or 9 had decent swings. Kinda sad.

Nov 5, 2021
Yup.

It surprises me that coaches and parents don't do more homework/due diligence.

1. Look up girl on USSSA.com and see what teams she's played for, how those teams did, etc.
2. Look up parents on Facebook
3. Look up girl's teams on game changer and view box scores and play-by-play of some games

You can learn a ton.

i've been anti social media my whole life.. No facebook, twitter, etc..
At first, it was because i wasn't impressed with it, then it was because i saw people turn into lemons using it, and now because its all the violation of trust.

We're extending that policy to our kids.

Do we stand any chance in recruiting these days? Or do i need to get my kids on onlyfans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13