Tryouts for anyone this time of year? Coming up January?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Making a decision about the next part of the journey. Sometimes it is tough to step away from a team a player has familiarity with. Then again Can be from an awkward situation. Sometimes people are happy to leave because of that.
Then there are times when players try out for another team hoping to make a better team.

Anyone doing tryouts this time of year January?

Know around here players Shuffle at this time of year, get in a month or so with their new travel team before high school starts and during dark they do team practice on Sundays preparing for Summer Ball.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I don't see or hear of any teams having an official tryout. Damn near every team will hold a private tryout, or invite a player to a team practice for the right player.

Jun 20, 2015
See lots and lots of social media posts for team looking for "last piece to join our already talented core of returning players". And the skeptic in me is always doubtful as to the accuracy of most of that statement. And it really doesn't matter as to org. It's more related to what I have seen from coach and team in question.

Example, Team X loses a player due to any number of coach related issues in the fall, and starts looking for a player. Sure the balance of the team may be awesome, but warning radar is buzzing.

Or

Need the ad "14U team, need Pitcher, catcher and SS, to join solid returning core...." Ah dude, sounds like you need a solid core first. Again, questionable coaching issue (even if it's just wording choice of ad).

Or

12u team needs players... and you look them up and there are 5 coaches with 5 DD's on the team. Warning radar again buzzing.

and sometimes it is just 'grass is greener" syndrome.

Jun 8, 2016
DD’s team has had a few private workouts. They only had 12 in Summer/Fall and HC wants 14. I’ve seen ads for other local teams/orgs having tryouts for various age level.

Feb 24, 2022
Based on the posts I see, EVERY, SINGLE, TEAM, needs “one more player (preferably pitcher, but all positions considered) to round out our awesome, experienced, championship squad”.

So, if you want a tryout, they’re out there..,

Exactly. What's even crazier, is that I've seen at least 2 or 3 brand new teams start up in our area. In general, I think that more teams gives more girls the opportunity to play and grow the game - there is a team for girls at every level. But, we're really testing out that theory with the number of teams that there are. I'd like to give them all the benefit of the doubt, but I'm afraid that a lot of parents are going to be sold a bill of goods from these teams.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
More teams and giving more players opportunity to participate think is a good thing.
However I like to see more teams in a competitive category instead of just more teams giving people the opportunity to play expensive softball without training for it.

That is a difficult part about travel ball is mixture of goals and dedication.

If I were to start a team every player would mandatory have to have their own hitting net and bucket of softballs and hit weekly on their own minimum 3 days a week. With video to share on team website to include other workouts players are putting in even jogging a mile.
That sets a standard to hopefully build a dedicated roster.
Say this because just because folks are willing to pay for something like being on a travel ball team it's not a hobby group, it's a sport and we're going to play to be competitive!

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
Our org just tried something new and had an open workout this past weekend, across all the teams. I was surprised to see kids from 6 different states in attendance, as well as some local kids. Was a good way to get some kids on the radar.

My DD's team is already actively looking for folks for next year's team (2023-2024). Want to bring some kids in to practices, maybe some subbing opportunities this spring and summer, to really see if a good fit and then have the pieces in place well before the end of season and everyone is trying out all over the place. Helps they are just looking for another pitcher (who isnt?!) and an OF.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Our org just tried something new and had an open workout this past weekend, across all the teams. I was surprised to see kids from 6 different states in attendance, as well as some local kids. Was a good way to get some kids on the radar.

My DD's team is already actively looking for folks for next year's team (2023-2024). Want to bring some kids in to practices, maybe some subbing opportunities this spring and summer, to really see if a good fit and then have the pieces in place well before the end of season and everyone is trying out all over the place. Helps they are just looking for another pitcher (who isnt?!) and an OF.
Sometimes that is the most comfortable way for everybody involved. Removes the spotlight on one or two players that are showing up for a tryout with a team that's already grouped together.
However after the organizational workout, if offered a spot, before I would join a team, would want to see the team and the coach holding their own practice with the tryout player involved to see how that Dynamic fits.
Never joining a team site unseen!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles