USE PLAYER VIDEO FOR TRAVEL BALL TRYOUTS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Helpful tid bit
👉 use player video for travel ball tryouts.
It can be a fantastic tool to help connect with travel ball coaches!
Also helps to develop video skills which can be used if going to connect with colleges in the future.

This is something will do of softball students who are seeking travel teams and when coaches call me about players for their teams.
Find this wonderfully useful to use as an icebreaker to speak about. Show video to coach before attending tryouts and see if they communicate about it. There are times when coaches will get very specific about what they see in a video and other times some coaches say nothing. *Generally I look for coaches who communicate.

Has anyone else use this as a resource in travel ball.
How does it work for you?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019
Yes, 15yo DD sent her sports recruits page to coaches before going to tryouts. It was very well received. Multiple comments were made and I think the coaches appreciated hearing from her directly. She went to a couple fairly large tryouts and the coach recognized DD immediately.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I setup a private YouTube page that's strictly clips of DD. Originally I did it just to have a central location that I could share with friends/family. But, I found it was also helpful for when we were looking for fill-in opportunities this last year. If a team wasn't familiar with her I just sent them the link and they could watch the clips. So, from a tryouts perspective it also makes a lot of sense.

The playlist included everything from individual highlight clips to full game videos with time stamps of when she hit and pitched. So they could see the good, bad, and whatever else. It worked pretty good overall.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup. I have plenty of great hits ready to send with any introductory email to a potential coach.

For pitching, I have game videos and videos with Smart Coach radar. All are very short clips, but enough to let the coach know the level of talent we're discussing. No need to waste everyone's time if we're not on the same page.

Oct 4, 2018
I always look at people's FB when they say they are coming to try out for videos

Yup.

It surprises me that coaches and parents don't do more homework/due diligence.

1. Look up girl on USSSA.com and see what teams she's played for, how those teams did, etc.
2. Look up parents on Facebook
3. Look up girl's teams on game changer and view box scores and play-by-play of some games

You can learn a ton.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think this is an excellent idea. Coaches/Orgs. might want to advertise. EX: Bandits Organizational Tryouts 1/7/2022. Now excepting skill videos (no more than 1 minute in length).

Sep 3, 2015
If the team retains its players, that’s a really good sign. Always talk to the coach before tryouts to make sure everyone is on the same page.

DD has a YouTube channel that we used for recruiting, but would work for TB coaches wanting to see game footage as well.

If you’ve been around, it’s pretty easy to know who you would and wouldn’t play for. In terms of both talent level and coaching. Also, if you are a good player the coaches already know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad