High school discipline / travel ball repercussion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
For discussion. What are the responses on this situation.

A softball player plays both high school ball and travel ball. Player ends up getting suspended from school 3 days and cannot play with softball team for 30 days.
( example for conversation, player got in trouble for fighting in school)

Question~ Should the travel ball coach also apply a discipline repercussion?
Suspended from games?
Maybe kicked off team?

Maybe it's two separate teams, two separate situations don't connect in any way? No travel team repercussion?

💥Chat it up dfp 🎉

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I am not opposed to a TB team having academic/school stipulations attached to it.

That said, if a team is going to do that, it needs to be known up front and part of the contract. The expectations and repercussions need to be spelled out very clearly. How would the coach find out? (The school cannot share the information.) Is self reporting required? Is there a steeper penalty for not reporting?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I think a decision like this should be left up to the parents of the player in most situations.

In a situation like your example. I may have no problem with my daughter getting into a fight if the circumstances are warranted. Choosing to fight on school property can be avoided in most situations.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I still have no idea why in the USA we link sports and school so closely. It is so stupid. No other country does it to the level we do.

For many kids, sports is their only outlet. Many of my junior teams when I was growing up had a lot of kids that were not school smart and from families that were really rough. Sports was their escape - when they didn't have sports, they found way worse things to do.

Unless there is some over-riding thing that makes it a bad idea or there is some relation from the school incident to the sports team or there was some specific team policy that people knew going in,, then that is separate and let them play.

That is not to say the parents can't enforce something - it was well understood that if I didn't get my homework done or sports interfered into my school, what the priority was.

Feb 7, 2014
RAD if the tables were flipped and the player got in trouble on the travel team would you expect the school's coach to participate in discipline?

Jun 18, 2023
I still have no idea why in the USA we link sports and school so closely. It is so stupid. No other country does it to the level we do.

For many kids, sports is their only outlet. Many of my junior teams when I was growing up had a lot of kids that were not school smart and from families that were really rough. Sports was their escape - when they didn't have sports, they found way worse things to do.

Unless there is some over-riding thing that makes it a bad idea or there is some relation from the school incident to the sports team or there was some specific team policy that people knew going in,, then that is separate and let them play.

That is not to say the parents can't enforce something - it was well understood that if I didn't get my homework done or sports interfered into my school, what the priority was.

Education is still more important than sports. Much more really.

May 13, 2023
RAD if the tables were flipped and the player got in trouble on the travel team would you expect the school's coach to participate in discipline?
Might as well be a question for everybody.
Have heard of that happening.

Schools have their own disciplinary action in place regardless of school coach. Then the coach can also have what they can implement.
But Travel teams are pretty much self-regulated,
So some tb coaches have implemented a repercussion. While some travel ball coaches wont.
Makes for discussion.

There are the repercussions of how it may affect the image of a team. Know of a travel ball coach who kicked a player off their team because the player flipped off another team on Instagram.
To some people that may seem Petty but the player was trying to represent her team while doing that at another team coach wanted nothing more to do with that player. Internet reaches far.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Education is still more important than sports. Much more really.
Don't disagree. That doesn't mean they should be linked together. In fact, it is a good reason for them not to be linked. Linking elite sports or any sports to academics is just so dumb which is one reason the system gets abused all the time.

One of the best basketball players I ever knew when I was young is frankly dumb as a rock. (Note: I did not grow up in the USA)

If he had grown up in the USA there was ZERO chance of him getting into college unless the school absolutely cheated (which they absolutely do for many sports as I found out when I came to play college basketball). No way would he even be able to be academically eligible in HS - and not because he wouldn't try - it just wasn't in him. Why does the system take away the thing someone like that is good at because they are not good at school?

That makes zero sense.

Edit: This player ended up playing professional and semi-pro basketball in my my home country for 20+ years, played in one Olympics, then retired and ended up working in his brothers construction company. It worked out well for him.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles