Uncoil Speed vs. Bat Speed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Of all the parents of kids I know that hit at a really high level, not many can come into a tech hitting forum type conversation and hold their own…. Could the players? Nah…
I mean, I won’t be visiting discussion groups on how to become neurotic..some of us are just naturally gifted…

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
TBH, none of it makes any sense to me. Not taking a shot here, stating a fact about me.

I bet I’m not the only parent coach etc that thinks “what in the hell are these guys trying to say.” And I have read an awful lot of hitting posts, lol

Of all the parents of kids I know that hit at a really high level, not many can come into a tech hitting forum type conversation and hold their own…. Could the players? Nah…
your comments, is exactly how I felt 10 years ago. Even today I continue to work on my eyes seeing things and movement patterns. I study video of swings from different coaches . I put drills together for my players without any instructions except feel it . Here’s what helped me, if your interested.
1. Swing a bat
2. video swings of you or your player.
3. what’s my plan from start to finish. This takes time.
4. join a discussion group, void of bullying. If there are bully’s don’t engage them, they will learn your not allowing them to control your emotions and will stop.
5. understand many have done a lot of the heavy lifting before you, use their experience to help you learn quicker.
6. be stubborn but open minded.
7. ask a lot of questions, comments are fine but questions will teach you more.
8. give lessons for free once you are ready but keep learning.
9. don’t be so serious, your going to mess it up, realize it and get help.
10. Find a mentor to get you over the hump or hole you created.

softball is one of the greatest family sports to share and grow with the family. its been berry, berry, good to me.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
TBH, none of it makes any sense to me. Not taking a shot here, stating a fact about me.

I bet I’m not the only parent coach etc that thinks “what in the hell are these guys trying to say.” And I have read an awful lot of hitting posts, lol

It’s just me saying that the distal parts are later and the front side being involved earlier. It’s the fundamental of hitting which gets overlooked quite often. Always bc folks are infatuated w power and stretch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Westwind, Just like the TM tweet. The stride is being initiated before the hands/scap do anything. He’s getting to his ‘spot’ now? His stretch is through the core? It’s getting that front foot/side to initiate things. Stretch things. Time things. Balance out things. It’s where the ‘launch’ stretch originates from.

The first hitter in this thread is doing the same. Hard to judge things w a controlled machine swing though. Things are to predictable usually. But it’s what I see.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It’s just me saying that the distal parts are later and the front side being involved earlier. It’s the fundamental of hitting which gets overlooked quite often. Always bc folks are infatuated w power and stretch.
The reason people want power (or speed for pitching) is because that's what sells. A 3rd baseman that hits .325 with no home runs will be quickly looked over for a 3rd baseman that hits .280 but has 15 home runs. Whether it is fair or right or smart doesn't matter. It is, what it is. Chicks dig the long ball!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Imo. This is the cause of all the confusion. Hitting is a timed event. That’s the variable. Before the internet, hitting instruction was fine. After the internet folks think you need to stay back or get forward to far or sit to hit or just TTB really fast. The reality is that vision and positioning w pitch recall is how we hit. Covering one or two zones w 2 strikes and anticipating a pitch here and there is what it is. You foul off tough pitches in hopes for something you can handle.

I believe you back the ball up and work from there. Don’t give up the leverage. Unless you are ahead in the count. Learn how to be short and quick. Learn that ADJUSTMENTS CAN ONLY BE MADE W THE FRONT FOOT DOWN. If that’s the case, Why in the world would we want to over stride? Or not be able to shorten the stride? Understand that HRs are usually bc of anticipation or poor pitch calling or poor pitch command. Or steroids. When a pitcher is ‘on’, nobody hits right? It’s all relative.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The reason people want power (or speed for pitching) is because that's what sells. A 3rd baseman that hits .325 with no home runs will be quickly looked over for a 3rd baseman that hits .280 but has 15 home runs. Whether it is fair or right or smart doesn't matter. It is, what it is. Chicks dig the long ball!

Yeah I get why. Most of those kids are done by 16u

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad