Uncoil Speed vs. Bat Speed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
@Westwind, Just like the TM tweet. The stride is being initiated before the hands/scap do anything. He’s getting to his ‘spot’ now? His stretch is through the core? It’s getting that front foot/side to initiate things. Stretch things. Time things. Balance out things. It’s where the ‘launch’ stretch originates from.

The first hitter in this thread is doing the same. Hard to judge things w a controlled machine swing though. Things are to predictable usually. But it’s what I see.
I tune out TM- I didn’t watch it. The guy is brilliant, and I used to follow him.

His antics turn me off so badly that I decided long ago that even though I benefit from his material I didn’t want to have anything to do with it. My loss I know. Yet I feel like I’m better off without him trying to convince me he is the only true path. It’s weird and I don’t like it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I tune out TM- I didn’t watch it. The guy is brilliant, and I used to follow him.

His antics turn me off so badly that I decided long ago that even though I benefit from his material I didn’t want to have anything to do with it. My loss I know. Yet I feel like I’m better off without him trying to convince me he is the only true path. It’s weird and I don’t like it.

I hear you. He doesn’t say anything in those tweets I posted. Just showing the stretch that preludes the ‘uncoil for speed’.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
TBH, none of it makes any sense to me. Not taking a shot here, stating a fact about me.

I bet I’m not the only parent coach etc that thinks “what in the hell are these guys trying to say.” And I have read an awful lot of hitting posts, lol

Well now that you've come out and admitted it, same for me. The only thing I'm convinced of is that everyone is probably making the mechanics of hitting too complicated. Lots of beautiful swings from people who can't time a pitch, adjust to off-speed, or just don't have the hand-eye coordination necessary to be elite.

I'm also not a "hitting guy," and if I had my way, I'd let someone else work with hitters 100% of the time so I could focus on the stuff I'm good at (defense/base running/yelling at umpires). So I'd really like it if we could simplify all this stuff so I was better at getting girls to understand they have legs and they should F^#!@ trying to use them when swinging a bat.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Well @CoachJD its not that complicated. Like I was telling another member. Get the hands and belly button connected during the negative move. Or better said make that the initial move. As the forward move starts, anchor the hands and belly button where they are(back). This stretches things.

Once the front foot lands w timing of the pitch(that’s the hard part), contract or fire the core w the hands remaining up near the back shoulder free to get on plane deep. What folks miss is the front foot timing piece. Or the connecting core/hands early.

Connection isn’t scap load or whatever the definition is/was imo. That’s the scap retraction needed but can only be found after the stride leg has committed. It’s not so much a pullback but more of a pull forward w the frontside/hip/foot/leg (AJ swing looks to have changed in that respect).you will see the back scap retract when the frontside has begun its initial destination down/forward towards the ground. The stretch will only be completed thereafter.

Here’s what it looks like.

Here’s my kid working on that very feel here. She had gotten a bit to handsy, so shes doing the drill I mentioned above.

This Aimee video helps you feel things as well. If you’re moving w the right intent. Through the core w connection. The legs are for stability which is very important. They’re just reactive not active.

1657557774494.gif

Edit: this is the easiest way I have found to get the uncoil speed right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802