Uncoil Speed vs. Bat Speed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
You’re traveling all over the place James Harden. Fast pitch has less over swingers. But they’re out there. But mostly baseball for sure. There’s more time.. but the ball moves more. Base hits are harder to earn. Field size is correct. I think brute strength plays more in fastpitch than baseball though. But time doesn’t permit it mostly.
lol..It was an educated guess but I didn’t have the stats in front of me.

So basically we are in agreement..nice chat 😂

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
@Work=wins I think your premise regarding power and HR is more relevant to baseball, in particular MLB. With the fences, balls and bats in fastpitch any normal sized female who hits the ball hard consistently above maybe 14u is going to hit HR. There are not many girls hitting .250 but have a bunch of HR, at any level. At least from what I have seen..
Looking over some top team stats and it appears you are right. Home run leaders are also batting average leaders on a lot of teams.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
lol..It was an educated guess but I didn’t have the stats in front of me.

So basically we are in agreement..nice chat 😂

I know what you’re saying. I watch some of those kids at the college level w those type stats. I can relate. I will see seeing eye singles bloops and bobbles all weekend and then one boom shot. Kid hit .400 for the weekend w power. Lol. All goes in the book the same way. But if the field is a bit bigger maybe not so much? I think so. This is just part of the problem. Kids are too strong for the field they play on.

Go to the gym.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Go back to 40ft mound and the white mush softballs, so you can kill the excitement of the game with 1-0 score in 15innings.

Fans dig the long ball.....
Go watch soccer if you want low scores.

It’s not about scores Mike. It’s about cheap hits and HRs that are hit poorly. It’s hard to play defense on a small field. You could deaden the bats also. I like the field and bases to be longer/larger. Gives a chance for more action and plays where defense actually matters.

The other sports are following suit. The NBA is unwatchable now. Can’t touch. NFL is all about one guy. If you ask me, I don’t care about the fans. I care about quality of game being played. I’m sure I’m in the minority.. lol. Everyone wants their little Sally to be a star. So keep the fields small and more hot bats!

It’s about the $$. Offense sells.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
It’s not about scores Mike. It’s about cheap hits and HRs that are hit poorly. It’s hard to play defense on a small field. You could deaden the bats also. I like the field and bases to be longer/larger. Gives a chance for more action and plays where defense actually matters.

The other sports are following suit. The NBA is unwatchable now. Can’t touch. NFL is all about one guy. If you ask me, I don’t care about the fans. I care about quality of game being played. I’m sure I’m in the minority.. lol. Everyone wants their little Sally to be a star. So keep the fields small and more hot bats!

It’s about the $$. Offense sells.
You definitely have a valid point , some adjustments could be made to improve the game as well as other sports.

Dec 11, 2010
your comments, is exactly how I felt 10 years ago. Even today I continue to work on my eyes seeing things and movement patterns. I study video of swings from different coaches . I put drills together for my players without any instructions except feel it . Here’s what helped me, if your interested.
1. Swing a bat
2. video swings of you or your player.
3. what’s my plan from start to finish. This takes time.
4. join a discussion group, void of bullying. If there are bully’s don’t engage them, they will learn your not allowing them to control your emotions and will stop.
5. understand many have done a lot of the heavy lifting before you, use their experience to help you learn quicker.
6. be stubborn but open minded.
7. ask a lot of questions, comments are fine but questions will teach you more.
8. give lessons for free once you are ready but keep learning.
9. don’t be so serious, your going to mess it up, realize it and get help.
10. Find a mentor to get you over the hump or hole you created.

softball is one of the greatest family sports to share and grow with the family. its been berry, berry, good to me.
This is a really good post- it’s also great advice for new parents trying to help their players!

Sof ball been beddy, beddy goo to me too, lol! (Great reference!)

I think I’m at the end of my journey. My second dd will be a junior in college this year. I still have a cage/screens/machines taking up half of my shed but I will probably take it all down when she heads back to school in January of ‘24. Whether I store it or sell it remains to be seen, lol.

What I often hope for when new parents read these forums is that they realize that if the technical language doesn’t click for them it’s ok. Don’t let that keep you from trying to help your kid. Emulate the best, and understand that training and practice are two different things. Even if you aren’t capable of “training” an athlete, you can “practice” them. Make it as realistic as possible and encourage them to hit balls as hard as they can and a lot of good things will happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812