Umps not knowing rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Ump made my 10-year-old DD present the ball - totally threw her motion off. I told him between the inning (not a coach) that that isn’t a rule; he said said he’s umped 30 years and she need to learn that now..

After game he breaks out rules, looks at them, and is like, oops I’m wrong, sorry. I’m like it’s common sense to look ups rule if it’s I question

Meanwhile, DD hurt her elbow trying to switch her motion mid-game. Plus this was her 1st time guesting with this team.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Unfortunately, we are in a perfect storm. Multiple rules codes, rules that have changed over time, and a dire shortage of officials in all sports, means that there will be some (too many, but then even one is too many) umpires who are not up-to-date on the current rules for the organization they might be umpiring for that particular day.

This is not an attempt to excuse them. True professionals, and they are professionals in the sense that they are getting paid for what they do, will do their utmost to make sure they know and are confident of the rules they need to apply in the given situation.

As an example, see this document: https://www.nfhs.org/media/1019874/2020-usa-softball-ncaa-nfhs-rule-differences-final.pdf

And this is just the difference in the CURRENT rules books. Add in the rules changes in the various organizations and you, hopefully, can understand why there are issues. I have said this frequently lately and will make the appeal (live-ball in this case :cool: ) to all of you; if you are able, or if you know a current or past player, think about umpiring yourself. It is a great way to stay involved in the game and a wonderful opportunity to give back to a sport that has given each of us so much.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ump made my 10-year-old DD present the ball - totally threw her motion off. I told him between the inning (not a coach) that that isn’t a rule; he said said he’s umped 30 years and she need to learn that now..

After game he breaks out rules, looks at them, and is like, oops I’m wrong, sorry. I’m like it’s common sense to look ups rule if it’s I question

Meanwhile, DD hurt her elbow trying to switch her motion mid-game. Plus this was her 1st time guesting with this team.
Ok I get the ump was wrong. But how did that cause your dd to hurt her elbow? So she gets on the rubber with ball in hand and then she can do what ever she normally does I understand that it was wrong and it could throw her off. But the injury part I don’t understand

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Ok I get the ump was wrong. But how did that cause your dd to hurt her elbow? So she gets on the rubber with ball in hand and then she can do what ever she normally does I understand that it was wrong and it could throw her off. But the injury part I don’t understand

It didn’t. Presenting the ball is not going to change the way she has to throw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2014
Meanwhile, DD hurt her elbow trying to switch her motion mid-game.

1jPx.gif

Nov 22, 2019

She’s 10 and starts with the ball behind her back. It threw off her timing and she hit her hip several time with her elbow.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
She’s 10 and starts with the ball behind her back. It threw off her timing and she hit her hip several time with her elbow.

She starts with the ball behind her back, I presume hands separated. What does she do from there? She needs to bring her hands together. Once they are together (hands may be motionless or moving) the pitch actually begins when she again separates them. Once the hands are separated, she cannot stop again. So, either she is not bringing her hands together, or she is stopping (if her hands were together after she took her place on the pitcher's plate) after she separates them. Whichever of those it is, it is an IP.

EDIT: The umpire, it seems, had the correct ruling, just didn't use rule book language. A pitcher needs to take her position on the plate with her hands separated, take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher, bring her hands together (moving or motionless) then separate her hands to signal the start of her delivery from which point she cannot stop again before delivery of the ball.

Nov 22, 2019
She starts with the ball behind her back, I presume hands separated. What does she do from there? She needs to bring her hands together. Once they are together (hands may be motionless or moving) the pitch actually begins when she again separates them. Once the hands are separated, she cannot stop again. So, either she is not bringing her hands together, or she is stopping (if her hands were together after she took her place on the pitcher's plate) after she separates them. Whichever of those it is, it is an IP.

EDIT: The umpire, it seems, had the correct ruling, just didn't use rule book language. A pitcher needs to take her position on the plate with her hands separated, take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher, bring her hands together (moving or motionless) then separate her hands to signal the start of her delivery from which point she cannot stop again before delivery of the ball.

She does all that.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
That looks legal. My question is, what was it that threw off her timing? If she just stepped on the plate with her pitching hand at her side, that would have been "presenting the ball" (still not rule book language, but I presume would satisfy the umpire) then put her hand behind her back to take the signal she is right where she was.

EDIT: The only thing I can see that might have been an issue is I would question if a pitcher can take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher if the catcher is standing. That isn't a pitcher issue but a catcher one and not something I would address unless asked about it by the opposing HC. In the video posted, your DD IS pausing and looking in (simulating taking a signal) but no signal is given. Since she isn't wearing an arm band, I presume pitches aren't coming in that way.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

This happened to me during a HS game a couple years ago. It completely messed up two different pitchers, and he did such a poor job explaining the issue that I didn't even know what he was saying to tell him that's not a rule.

Same umpire who completely missed a play where the 1B came off the bag for a throw and tagged the runner (she ran through the glove, almost knocked it off the 1B's hand). Ump was in C position, clearly had his view blocked by our 1B (she was a big girl). I calmly went out there, talked to him about what we all clearly saw, and he said he didn't need to get help (I would bet the life of every person I love that the tag was made. Like I said, she went through her arm like a turnstile). Terrible umpire in every respect. I bet he's been doing it for 30 years, too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06