A running thread of local umpire frustration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
You must be upstate NY, I'm on Long Island. I also have to pay $200 a year for travel ball, $130 for School ball.

That I am - Section II (so Capital Region, but I'm in the northern end). Our dues aren't that bad. I don't recall the $$ exactly, but it's around $50-60/year which covers NYSSO (so HS, and any travel/rec ball during the year - basically anything not USA softball).

Jan 22, 2011
Wonder if there will be any posts about me by Sunday. UIC of local rec league called me and asked if I'd be willing to do a few rec games. I only did two games last spring. Doing an 8u game on Thursday and at least one 10u game on Saturday.

I blew an infield fly call the last game I umped :).

I can't turn the guy down. He is one of my three coach mentors and took someone who knew very little about softball back in 2005 under his wing.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Today the umpire for our varsity game ended it in the third inning when we went up 15 runs. I'm giving him a pass on this one though because A) nobody wanted the game to go on much longer anyway and B) while IHSA rules state 15 runs after 4 innings, NFHS says 15 after 3, so I get where he was coming from.

This guy is also good and someone I specifically look to get for our games. Happy to have him work more of our games.

This post is actually a defense of umpires: Consider that quite often, the rules they're going by are correct in one place or another, and maybe they just got 'em mixed up. In this case, he was going by NFHS rules, which he should, and just forgot the our state does its own thing.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Oh, I forgot about this call from yesterday. Would love to get umpire input on it.

One of our runners was called out for leaving early. Technically, true! Pitcher had ball in circle. She was on the base. The next batter hadn't gotten into the box yet, so there was nothing at all happening/about to happen. Then my runner took the foot that was on the base off the base to, stretch her Achilles or something. She should've asked for time or put the other foot on the base, of course. She was off the base, but by about 4 inches and she was not doing anything to suggest she was trying to go anywhere.

The game wasn't yet a blowout, but it was clearly headed that way, and I'm guessing the umpire saw an opportunity to move things along by following the letter of the law, but I probably wouldn't even argue this one in a tie game. Still think it goes against the spirit of the rule though.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Oh, I forgot about this call from yesterday. Would love to get umpire input on it.

One of our runners was called out for leaving early. Technically, true! Pitcher had ball in circle. She was on the base. The next batter hadn't gotten into the box yet, so there was nothing at all happening/about to happen. Then my runner took the foot that was on the base off the base to, stretch her Achilles or something. She should've asked for time or put the other foot on the base, of course. She was off the base, but by about 4 inches and she was not doing anything to suggest she was trying to go anywhere.

The game wasn't yet a blowout, but it was clearly headed that way, and I'm guessing the umpire saw an opportunity to move things along by following the letter of the law, but I probably wouldn't even argue this one in a tie game. Still think it goes against the spirit of the rule though.

Yeah, it's strictly out by rule, but agreed, it's not good for the game.

Though I vaguely remember a case play where a runner slips off the base by accident, and the ruling was/is nothing, but I can't find it.

Edited to add, from USSSA clarification: "The look-back rule is not designed to generate cheap outs. Umpires should not call a runner out who loses contact with the base, but had no intention of leaving the base"

Oct 24, 2010
you're right, we do use USA rules, but I believe our run rule is rule.Is added by the state softball org.

NFHS 4-2 Ending a Game does not specify any run-ahead rule, except for one after seven. Therefore, all run ahead and tie-breaking rules are by state adoption. If the state has not adopted game ending procedures, any remaining play may be shortened or the game may be terminated by mutual agreement between the opposing coaches and the plate umpire.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Quick ump story….did a MS game today. 2 out, 0 on, 0-2 count. Pitcher through her windup ball just about at release…first base coach screams “Time!!! Aaaahhh!!! Time”…pitch comes, call strike 3, look up to see a huge groundhog rounding 1b and the base coach and F3 headed towards right field. My call stood. Every one had a good laugh. Just glad she didn’t put it in play…

Just when you think you’ve seen it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812