Umps calling strikes above batter's head

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I agree, I wish the umps did.

So the next time you hire them, make you sure to emphasize that you expect them to fully adhere to MLB rules and interpretations with 100% accuracy. Except when that doesn’t work in your favor, then you expect them to do nothing and to fully cater to your every whim. The International 3rd Grade Softball Olympic World Cup of the Galaxy Ultimate Elite trophy and several full ride D1 scholarships hinge on this. It is imperative that the umpire does not damage the psyche of little Suzy (or any of your players) because we all remember that one call from when we were 7-years old and are now traumatized by it.
I’m going to walk away now, as it seems you are one of those coaches who needs to have the last word on this inanity … have at it.

Jun 18, 2023
me? you're the one that keeps chiming in with essentially "just tell her to have fun!" This isn't about winning, thought certainly it's a game that's competitive that you're meant to try to win, and part of that intensity and frustration comes from trying to win. That's something the kids should do. That's baked into the concept of the game.

I'm simply looking for the best way to adjust to an imperfect and often bad environment. The consensus seems to be that you pretty much can't. That's fine, but that's my job as a coach, to try to find the softball thing to tell her to do to address something. She's not kicking and screaming and shouting "I quit!" and storming off. I'm not yelling at the ump about it, even if I make a comment to another coach when it happens. But "what can we do here?" is a valid question, even if the answer ultimately turns out to be nothing.

May 13, 2023
But "what can we do here?" is a valid question,

Soooooo after the feedback in this thread,
What are you going to do with the Batters in the Box?
Are you going to let your players strike out because the Umpire is calling a strike zone you disagree with?
Or
Are you going to tell them to just stand there and hopefully get a walk?
Or
Are you going to suggest to them to try and work on hitting?

Jun 8, 2016
Are you going to suggest to them to try and work on hitting
(from his description) pitches over their head..I get that you like free swingers but there is a limit..

IMO the guy has to figure out a way of explaining to the kid that you don't swing at those type of pitches without throwing the umpire under the bus.

May 13, 2023
pitches over their head..I get that you like free swingers but there is a limit..

Obviously there is a level of softball going on there. ➡️➡️I see your previous post where you chose not to play at that level.

➡️➡️At least you had an answer.

Can definitely say I saw players in a level that seemed the same that were hitting pitches that were head height and above. Not like it can't be done.

You can go on with whatever discussion you think is good for that situation even though you chose not to do it. But somewhere in there is a decision to be made for the person who posted this topic.

Choices choices choices

Jun 8, 2016
You can go on with whatever discussion you think is good for that situation even though you chose not to do it. But somewhere in there is a decision to be made for the person who posted this topic.
You posted before I edited and gave a suggestion (albeit vague). Also yes, it is not impossible to swing at (and hit) pitches over your head. The question is whether it is good for a kid's development to do so..

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
The feedback pretty much jibes with what we already told her. We've kept her from flailing at pitches above her head, and try to reinforce the idea that you can only focus on what you can control/hit. Due to small town numbers/roster needs, she's probably getting pulled up to "real" 10u next year. Probably same umpire pool, but probably less girls that have been pitching for ~2 months and a chance to grow a little too. I'll probably still be with this same team level, which will include next year's class of girls, and this is one of the things I'll be thinking about with them.

May 29, 2015
OK, I lied. I'm going to take one more stab at being productive instead of being offended.

Is there anything we can do? Or is it just a matter of staying positive and hoping you get a pitch, and hope next year both the pitching and umpiring are a little better (plus some growth?)

figured. Just frustrating. had a girl in rec half-convinced the ump was out to get her.

trying to figure out if there's a robot ump plug-in for gamechanger.

In the most recent example last night that prompted me to post this, there was not a hittable pitch, she reached for and fouled one that probably wasn't hittable, and took two called strikes that weren't hittable. I'm actually proud of her for NOT swinging at those, because she was jumping at some of them sometimes, but it was a big moment and she knew it.

it's a fast pitch game. It's supposed to be basically the same strike zone as NJ high school.

my kid is 4' 6" finishing third so probably won't be our issue (aggression and actually swinging? we'll see). Apparently the girl is taking lessons (pitching) with the HS coach in town, so at least she'll have someone fighting for her if it comes to that.

yeah, they pretty much call anything that manages to clear the plate a strike, even if it like hits the dirt to the side of the point.
Mostly we can hit those though. We literally had a 2 RBI "double" on a golf swing off a bounce in front of the plate yesterday.

I agree, I wish the umps did.

me? you're the one that keeps chiming in with essentially "just tell her to have fun!" This isn't about winning, thought certainly it's a game that's competitive that you're meant to try to win, and part of that intensity and frustration comes from trying to win. That's something the kids should do. That's baked into the concept of the game.

I'm simply looking for the best way to adjust to an imperfect and often bad environment. The consensus seems to be that you pretty much can't. That's fine, but that's my job as a coach, to try to find the softball thing to tell her to do to address something. She's not kicking and screaming and shouting "I quit!" and storming off. I'm not yelling at the ump about it, even if I make a comment to another coach when it happens. But "what can we do here?" is a valid question, even if the answer ultimately turns out to be nothing.

The feedback pretty much jibes with what we already told her. We've kept her from flailing at pitches above her head, and try to reinforce the idea that you can only focus on what you can control/hit. Due to small town numbers/roster needs, she's probably getting pulled up to "real" 10u next year. Probably same umpire pool, but probably less girls that have been pitching for ~2 months and a chance to grow a little too. I'll probably still be with this same team level, which will include next year's class of girls, and this is one of the things I'll be thinking about with them.

In black ... You are "yelling at the ump about it." Just because you aren't doing it in-game, doesn't mean you are not. Every single one of your posts takes a jab at the umpires. Every single one. My honest advice may have been laughed off as sarcasm or a joke, but it was serious: YOU DON'T NEED UMPIRES AT THAT LEVEL. Play without them. Then you don't have to take your focus off the game to worry about it.

I have told this story before, but it bears repeating here. Back when I ran the local rec program, I did away with umpires at our lowest levels (which was about this same age group at the time) because of things like this. At the meeting where we decided this, one coach stated she could not "watch the plays to make a call and coach at the same time." I replied our youngest teams have a minimum of 3 assistant coaches (whether they show up or not is another story), so they have plenty of staff to take care of it. Then she asks, "Well, who do I argue with if I don't like the call?" My reply was thus: "First, why are you arguing over anything with kids this age? Second, if you can't watch the play because you are coaching, why are you arguing over something you didn't see?"

Which brings me to the red ... Coaches need to learn what their job really is. It is not your job to "fight for your players" in youth sports. It certainly is not your job to "fight for your players" in recreational leagues. It is your job to teach them to love and enjoy the game. Teach them that, and then you will be able to teach them how to play the game. When you are coaching at any level under 10u, it is your job to give them the tools that will still have them playing in the future. Those "tools" are how to make it an enjoyable experience and how to learn some basic skills that will be the building blocks for the future. If you cannot do that without worrying about winning and are getting frustrated, then you are the wrong person for the job.

Epilogue: After we did away with umpires, it was one of the most peaceful and enjoyable seasons of my tenure. It was interesting to see coaches evolve to the point they would shrug at the girl and say, "I guess you're out, get 'em next time" instead of yelling and screaming to blame the failure on another person who is not playing the game.

Yes, that coach and a few others left the next year to go play competitive. That tells me they were the wrong people for the job. Yes, they took girls with them who had no business going to play competitive (including some of their daughters). Yes, some of those players quit the game after that year and never came back to it. That is a sign of true failure, not striking out or losing a game.

May 13, 2023
Also yes, it is not impossible to swing at (and hit) pitches over your head.
✔️
The question is whether it is good for a kid's development to do so...
( at the level of this post , in basic, would say not swinging and doing nothing is the least helpful event)

imo it is good for players to recognize that sometimes the strike zone is going to be different.
Then having to apply making an adjustment to the situation.
Because there will be times that what coaches/players think is not a strike is going to be called a strike.

From that
I would never want a player to strike out looking because they 'themself'
didn't think it was a strike.... especially when already recognizing the Umpire has a Bizarre Strike Zone Area.

Jun 8, 2016
✔️

imo it is good for players to recognize that sometimes the strike zone is going to be different.
Then having to apply making an adjustment to the situation.
Because there will be times that what coaches/players think is not a strike is going to be called a strike.

From that
I would never want a player to strike out looking because they 'themself'
didn't think it was a strike.... especially when already recognizing the Umpire has a Bizarre Strike Zone Area.
Yes, I know your opinion on this. I just thought you would have some limits.. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01