Umps calling strikes above batter's head

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
IMO, most players would be better off being more aggressive in the box. Vlad had more first pitch HRs than Barry Bonds. Rickey Henderson rarely took pitches even as a leadoff hitter. I see too many players allowing the pitcher to get ahead. I rarely see a softball player that is too aggressive. Most hitters are "shopping" for a good pitch and they rarely get one.
So swing at pitch you have 2.5/10 chance of hitting well with no strikes? You can still swing at that pitch with 2 strikes and have the same chance of hitting it well...Nobody is saying to take good pitches to hit..just pitches that you have a low probability of hitting well (every hitter has holes..)

May 13, 2023
IMO, most players would be better off being more aggressive in the box. Vlad had more first pitch HRs than Barry Bonds. Rickey Henderson rarely took pitches even as a leadoff hitter. I
see too many players allowing the pitcher to get ahead. I rarely see a softball player that is too aggressive. Most hitters are "shopping" for a good pitch and they rarely get one.
💥Hooray like this post ⬆️

⬇️ this is a good comment too ⚠️
There are plenty of examples of guys hitting crappy pitches for HR

May 13, 2023
as is this:

Stop selectively editing my posts. You want to debate or pontificate? Oh right you are just making comments..not debating (interesting that you never want to debate..wonder why)
Pardon but I haven't been reading all of your posts. So selective has happened.
Which you also selectively pick out what you want to pick on.
Sooo🤪 theres that 🥳

That's right imo there is no debate
(for argumentative purpose)

There's just ongoing conversations of different strategies people can use. Hooray for that!

Feb 15, 2017

Their methods are sound, And, from my experience, the best way to judge accuracy of something like this is how reliable professional gamblers (not your average idiot friend who wastes time on DraftKings) find the data. Gamblers trust these numbers.
That's great that gambler's rely on it but that isn't what umpires are graded on. And I'd argue what they are graded on is more accurate and because of this MLB doesn't want it released. There was a leak and MLB was not happy about it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So swing at pitch you have 2.5/10 chance of hitting well with no strikes? You can still swing at that pitch with 2 strikes and have the same chance of hitting it well...Nobody is saying to take good pitches to hit..just pitches that you have a low probability of hitting well (every hitter has holes..)
I am just making an observation. Players tend to error on the side of caution. When a player takes strike one their batting average goes down. Some players simply cant or wont buy in to the yes, yes, yes approach. They will say they understand it, but get called strike one looking way too often. The better the pitching the more aggressive the hitter needs to be. If the ump is giving the pitcher the river on the outside corner and she has start the first 4 batters off spotting a FB there, you better figure out how to hit that pitch. The bat is 33 inches long and the plate is 17. Cant just have every hitter start 0-1.
Another couple phrases that annoy me. Count is 3-1 and somebody will say, "a walk is as good as a hit" or "be careful, you don't want to swing at ball 4."
A walk is never ever ever as good as a hit and there is never a time to be careful in the box. Get hacking!

Jun 8, 2016
When a player takes strike one their batting average goes down.
Chicken and an egg scenario. Hitters who swing at the first strike are likely getting a good one to hit...

Again, you have the same chance of hitting that pitch on the river well with 2 strikes as you do with zero...what part of that are you not understanding? There is nothing magic about swinging at a marginal pitch with no strikes..If instead you take that pitch with no strikes there is a nonzero chance that the pitcher will throw a pitch on the next one which you are hitting .500 on...

The real problem is when hitters start taking good pitches to hit for whatever reason..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Chicken and an egg scenario. Hitters who swing at the first strike are likely getting a good one to hit...Know your "hot zone"..You have the same chance of hitting that pitch on the river well with 2 strikes as you do with zero...what part of that are you not understanding? You take that pitch with no strikes and there is a nonzero chance that the pitcher will throw a pitch on the next one which you are hitting .500 on...
Most players hot zone is middle-in belt high. Good pitchers know that and do not intentionally throw there. If your team and the ump allows my pitcher to throw strike one looking in the river without a challenge then guess where 90 percent of my pitches are going? Cant just allow the pitcher to live out there. I want hitters to disrupt the pitchers game plan. Make an adjustment. Get on top of the plate and hit line drives to RC field.

Jun 8, 2016
Good pitchers know that and do not intentionally throw there.

Of course. Good pitchers also make mistakes and batters should allow them to make them..

If your team and the ump allows my pitcher to throw strike one looking in the river without a challenge then guess where 90 percent of my pitches are going? Cant just allow the pitcher to live out there. I want hitters to disrupt the pitchers game plan. Make an adjustment. Get on top of the plate and hit line drives to RC field.
I agree sit away in that scenario.......with 2 strikes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles