Umpire Beaten up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I saw on Heybucket that someone was asking about Bob Raphael, an umpire that got beat in the parking lot up by a Riverside parent. What the Hell people! Since Heybucket does not get the same traffic that DFP does, I thought I would ask here too to see if anyone is familiar with the situation. There is no reason that this should ever happen.

Apr 20, 2015
I saw on Heybucket that someone was asking about Bob Raphael, an umpire that got beat in the parking lot up by a Riverside parent. What the Hell people! Since Heybucket does not get the same traffic that DFP does, I thought I would ask here too to see if anyone is familiar with the situation. There is no reason that this should ever happen.
I haven't seen this but my husband is a high school varsity sports official and this is always on my mind when waiting for him to come home. Its should not be that way. I worried about it more in basketball because the fans were so much closer to the court the abuse always seemed more personal than in football. He has never done baseball or softball but plans to pick up softball when our kids are done playing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yeah, it was terrible. Here is the Facebook post that has been doing the rounds.

BR-Umpire.jpg

Jul 20, 2021
Yeah, it was terrible. Here is the Facebook post that has been doing the rounds.

View attachment 23121
It’s bad in the youth leagues, especially in peewee football. The main reason is parents betting up to $500 a game. They lose grocery and rent money and feel like they got cheated. I’ve actually witnessed one of these betting dads come into the sideline and attack a coach for having his kids take a knee. These lower level games used to be the training ground for new officials, but kids are afraid to try because of stupidity.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
One of a very few jobs where you are expected to be perfect on day 1....................................And then get better!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
It’s bad in the youth leagues, especially in peewee football. The main reason is parents betting up to $500 a game. They lose grocery and rent money and feel like they got cheated. I’ve actually witnessed one of these betting dads come into the sideline and attack a coach for having his kids take a knee. These lower level games used to be the training ground for new officials, but kids are afraid to try because of stupidity.
Betting? That’s actually shocking to read!

May 29, 2015
One of a very few jobs where you are expected to be perfect on day 1....................................And then get better!

If we only had that same expectation of parents ...

I could add comments about the way most of us feel, but I will say this instead ... It is past time to make this an aggravated (or whatever term your state uses to enhance penalties) crime.

I did a quick Google, but got no hits for any media coverage. I hope the perp gets the harshest sentence possible and that Brother Raphael recovers and returns to the field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish