Too many or Too few??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2013
This is why we have so many "nationals" too. These parents just want to say their kids went. They don't care if it's a local national, regional national or the real thing.

We played in a "world series" last year that apparently in order to qualify you only needed a credit card number. It was the SEAA brand. It was awful. Umpires were beyond terrible, tournament scheduling was terrible. There were several games that were not even remotely close.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I meant that for the parents. At the younger ages the kids just want to have fun. Throw up a couple banners, hold a parade and the girls feel like they're in the World Series. When that's the purpose this type of event is perfect.

Some parents on the other hand just like to brag that their daughter went to nationals and don't care if all the teams are within 20 miles or the level of play.

I am with you on that. I was that parent 3 years ago new to TB and thinking the local circuit was great. Now? I'm looking for the team that is playing 9 hours away. But most of those parents you mention don't understand what this is about. Not saying it's about college money (but that would be a nice bonus), I love the weekends with the family in the RV watching my DD play some ball. Then at night playing XBOX with my son eating burgers and brats at the campground. It's all the experience for me with the chance of something better for my DD.

Nov 18, 2013
I am with you on that. I was that parent 3 years ago new to TB and thinking the local circuit was great. Now? I'm looking for the team that is playing 9 hours away. But most of those parents you mention don't understand what this is about. Not saying it's about college money (but that would be a nice bonus), I love the weekends with the family in the RV watching my DD play some ball. Then at night playing XBOX with my son eating burgers and brats at the campground. It's all the experience for me with the chance of something better for my DD.

Exactly! We were all there not long ago.

That's not exactly how I remember camping, but I like your method better :)

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Coming from SoCal, the recruiting mecca, college money IS what it is about by 14U.
If it is not, I don't see the point of playing travel ball unless playing in college is the ultimate goal. It is just too darn expensive and time consuming. Play in your town rec league with your friends if college is not the goal. It is just a game after all. JMHO
With that being said, I do not think there are too many teams and I believe that the free market will usually sort out the good from the bad eventually. We learn from our mistakes.

Apr 8, 2013
It's all the experience for me with the chance of something better for my DD.

We drive about 250 miles round trip for practice on the weekends, and as much as 400-500 miles roundtrip for some tournaments. One time on the way to practice my daughter was sitting in the car and said "we talk a lot when we drive to softball"

I asked "is that okay" not knowing if it she was complaining or not, as kids can be kids...

She said "I think it's great, I'm glad we get to do this. And I can't wait to see (fill in name of any one of her teammates)."

Some family, friends and coworkers think we are crazy parents for playing as much softball as we do and traveling as much as we do for it. Let's see, we spend hours and hours together as a family, she has forged wonderful friendships with teammates, and she feels empowered playing a sport she loves at a high level. One thing I my wife and I always keep in mind is that she is pushing us, we are not pushing her into doing it. I think we're doing alright...

We have played with girls who do not want to be there, would rather be doing dance or basketball or something else and their attitudes rub off on others especially when the parents continue to force it on them. Also played with parents who sign up for "travel ball" and then moan and groan when the team...wait for it...actually travels more than once a season.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD used to get ticked off at the parents and players who whined about going out of town. She would proclaim quite loudly "IT'S CALLED TRAVEL BALL!!!" We also enjoyed our time traveling and being on the road. Beats sitting at home and everyone doing their own thing.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
And mom and dad and Suzie Superstar love to wear that travel team logo all over town and post those travel team uniform pics all over facebook.

Is that really a bad thing? Its good for the childs confidence, they arent dealing drugs due to activities available, more kids have college ambitions etc etc etc.

I see all this as more opportunities for our youth. Nothing is ever perfect and there are always bad apples but I wish I had opportunities like this growing up. I think its great for or children and the game. Softball is bigger now than it ever has been due to all the Grass Roots startup mom and dad teams.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Coming from SoCal, the recruiting mecca, college money IS what it is about by 14U.
If it is not, I don't see the point of playing travel ball unless playing in college is the ultimate goal. It is just too darn expensive and time consuming. Play in your town rec league with your friends if college is not the goal. It is just a game after all. JMHO
With that being said, I do not think there are too many teams and I believe that the free market will usually sort out the good from the bad eventually. We learn from our mistakes.

If that's the goal just save the money and have your DD walk on somewhere and use the saved cash for tuition.

Now the real answer. It's not ALL about the college money but I don't live in CA either. My DD won't be trying to play at a CA school, TN, UT,UT,UA,UM or whatever other top 25 school is around. I will spend triple in travel ball this year than it will cost my DD to attend the local D1 State school that won their regular season conference last year. So I'm not sure why playing travel ball has to be an elite society of those chasing $$$. My DD plays TB because she's head and shoulders above the rec players and she want's to play in college but not necessarily on a $60K a year scholly. She's a 4.0 student that like most 13 year olds watches teenage mutant ninja turtles before school, and vampire diaries on Netflix at night.

But yes in some areas it is all about the top named team playing in front of 15000 people every weekend and trying to get paid. It's just not that way in my area and moving to where big named teams reside is not an option.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Two most popular non-college reasons for playing travel ball at 14U and above are (1) to remain competitive on your high school team and (2) to have fun. Softball is still fun, and travel kids that age aren't going to be challenged in a rec league, if they can find one that still exists.

I don't think it's that expensive to play 12-15 tournaments that require only an occasional hotel stay. Can be done for less than $1,500. Not saying that's cheap, but as hobbies go, it's reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neojapan