To stay or leave?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
She is a developing pitcher and there is 2 others on the team. The coach is shopping for more pitchers.

HUGE red flag here if she wants to pitch. If she is happy getting minimal innings and playing a position then stay where you're at if she really enjoys the team. If she's looking for more time in the circle then make the switch.

May 28, 2012
I would allow her the chance to tryout and let her see what the opportunity is. And you say "She is a developing pitcher and there is 2 others on the team. The coach is shopping for more pitchers. This could effect her mound time"...does that mean other than your DD? Will that mean 3 or 4 others in front of DD? I only ask because you say she is developing. However, while she is developing, she will get most of her experience/judgement calls/etc from more mound time.

Tough decision for sure though...good luck!

I would say say she is the number 3 but she gets just as much mound time as the number 2. The number 1 is a flamethrower. Number 1 wont be coming back. She has a farther drive than i do. The coach is looking at 2 more. that would be 4 pitchers. I would say my DD would be the number 2 when we start back up. My DD is the number 2 on the middle school team now.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
What you think about her position in the rotation may be very different when its all said and done. I think you should have a conversation with the coach to see what are his/her plans and true intentions. If they pick up two top pitchers, your dd's circle time will be reduced. Going to a tryout never hurts, your coach is shopping for more options and could replace your dd, why shouldn't you give yourself options as well?

Now if the coach approached you and said we need 3-4 pitchers so I'm going to pick up a couple and continue to develop your dd as we did this year, you may decide its worth staying and not looking.

My DD plays for a very good 10U organization that is going up to 12U. The practices are at least twice a week 1.5hour drive each way. She fits in real well with this team. A little bit off daddy ball here but it doesn't effect her. She is a developing pitcher and there is 2 others on the team. The coach is shopping for more pitchers. This could effect her mound time.
There is a very good local team having organizational tryouts this month. If she made the team the only known benefit would be a 30 minute drive to practice.
My problem is should I leave a good team that she fits in with just for a team that is closer to home. The DW and I would be the only ones benefitting by saving time and money.

Your DD is moving up to 12U right? Well the pitching distances change. If your daughter has been working, this is prime time for her to show her stuff. Those extra few feet make a huge difference. In my opinion all the girls are developing in 10-12U some quicker than others. If your DD really loves it just have her stay with it. She needs to practice hitting her spots and that her mechanics are good. There is no rush in learning different pitches! Speed will come too! If she can consistently hit her inside and outside corners that is awesome...Make sure you have a good pitching coach and go often. Work in the backyard and not for hours on end keep it to 30-45 minutes. This board has 6,000 different drills she can do.

We drive 1.5 hours to practice with our team as well. DD does homework on the way and we have great jam sessions and talk as a family. We find that we have way less drama than playing locally. Also the kids she pitches against will not see her when it comes time for high school ball and that gives her an advantage as a pitcher. Little Jane that pitches here in town will be worthless when it comes time for school ball because everyone in town and surrounding areas has hit off of her in the local hometown tournaments every weekend.

If your daughter is doing her part as a pitcher its hard for a coach to not giver her time in the circle.

P.S. There in no mound in softball

I would ask her if she loves her coaches and team and if she is willing to work for time in the rotation. Good pitchers dont pitch every single game and if coach tried to pitch my daughter in the ground...that's when we would move on. We have 3 girls that are in rotation and if 1 is struggling then the next is ready to jump in and help. It takes all 3 to win tournaments and they all 3 still struggle from time to time.

If she is happy on the team let her be, hopefully she is learning a secondary position as well.

Keep us posted on how things are gong with her pitching...this is a great group of people on this board and no one will bash your kid. They will all try to help her! Ask lots of questions and dont be scared to speak up:)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD plays for a very good 10U organization that is going up to 12U. The practices are at least twice a week 1.5hour drive each way. She fits in real well with this team. A little bit off daddy ball here but it doesn't effect her. She is a developing pitcher and there is 2 others on the team. The coach is shopping for more pitchers. This could effect her mound time.
There is a very good local team having organizational tryouts this month. If she made the team the only known benefit would be a 30 minute drive to practice.
My problem is should I leave a good team that she fits in with just for a team that is closer to home. The DW and I would be the only ones benefitting by saving time and money.
If she wants to be a pitcher you need to put her in a position where she gets the most circle time. I am sure by know this advice has been passed along, so consider this one more in the chorus agreeing.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
How many pitchers does the team have that you are thinking about having her try out for?
Will she still get plenty of time in the circle?

Jun 29, 2013
I'm torn on this one, mainly because I'm considering something similar down the road- my DD is really not ready for TB yet. But the light to bulb seems to be turning on (I'll address that some other time), and the coach that really got her going and is just outstanding works (an has her teams) about 60 miles from home. There are a number of good teams within 10 miles of home, but I admire this coach immensely and I just know my DD would be happy with her. But my inclination would be to stay if the driving isn't hurting her grades.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I lived in IL. I would have thought that it was nuts to drive a 10 yo 1.5 hours one way to play on a softball team. Once we moved "out West," driving and driving and driving is more the norm, than anything else. (Says the coach with 270,000 miles on the Honda Pilot.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz