Time off/playing year round?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Our TB team usually stops in November and will pick back up practicing indoors the first week of January. As mentioned, the break is welcome. Even though were taking a team break, DD will hit in the garage off a T or soft toss about twice, maybe 3 times a week ( about 150-200 swings each time) alternating between swift stik and her bat. We (her mother and I) really try and slow her down during that break so to recharge the batteries.

Whats really funny is, about a week into our break, the girls start missing one another. Our girls are spread out and do not go to HS together, so They start organizing bowling, dinners or whatever so they get together about twice a month, sometimes more

Last edited:
May 17, 2009
CT
Thanks for all the input everyone! I love this site :) We're probably going to take November off (or most of it) after our last tourney in early November, and then focus on agility, strength and fitness until January when we start our winter workouts. My guess is that even after we start winter workouts, we'll slowly work back into softball and continue to focus on getting the girls into terrific shape.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You will find out as she gets older fall is the time for clinics and camps at colleges. We do not shut down. High school to travel ball, to fall ball , then indoor winter ball. She does play soccer in the fall, but still plays softball on weekends. Right now she lifts after school and then hits the cage before coming home.

Sep 3, 2009
I always worried about burnout with my dd, but we just sort of let her dictate her own schedule. Our fall season is done now, and it's just a few team practices here and there. She catches occassionally for her pitchers at their lessons, and has her own catching and slapping lessons. Usually she is wanting to work on the tee, or practice blocking or something else. But she pretty much sets the schedule and it doesn't vary much from summer, except for team practices. Weekends she pretty much slacks, and thats fine by me. She's still a kid (or baby to dad).

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Last year Oct - Dec was off time. All summer this year she complained that she shouldn't have taken all that time off.

This year she took 2 (forced) weeks off after middle school ball then dropped right into a six day a week training schedule. I wonder if she's over doing it and worry about burn out, but most of the days that I don't bring up practice she does. The days she has a lot of homework or doesn't feel like it we skip but most weeks she's been training 4 or 5 days.

I'm aiming for a week of forced no practice the week of Thanksgiving and Christmas if I can get it done without a war.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
DD was off since last weekend of September, and fall-ball wasn't really intense like spring ASA was. Last night she had volleyball and I figured she'd want to skip hitting since we'd be late to our session time. Nope, she wanted to race home and grab the gear and go.......first time in a while she's really wanted to do that. Start Sunday winter practices in 2 more weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish