The pitcher on relays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm trying to figure out where the best place to put my pitcher on relays.

The obvious answer is the pitcher should back up 3B/Home, and the 1B should be the cutoff on plays at the plate.

But for most of our games, there is very little room (less than 30 feet, and often times 10-15 feet max) behind home plate. I don't know that she'd even have enough room to be an effective backup, and she might just end up getting in the way of the play.

Does anybody just have pitchers function as the cut on plays from the outfield? I can see why this often isn't done, but it seems like the most logical option for us.

Oct 4, 2018
I do agree that every player has a place to move to on every play. But there are times when it's hard to give a great answer why.

Yes, the pitcher probably doesn't come into play much on relays and such. And yes, backing up 3b or home might have them one foot in front of the fence and 5 feet behind their teammate. But yeah, we still coach them to get there.

Jun 8, 2016
Does anybody just have pitchers function as the cut on plays from the outfield? I can see why this often isn't done, but it seems like the most logical option for us.
Depends on whether your pitcher can walk and chew gum at the same time. Being able to throw OH would help too (you would be surprised...actually maybe you wouldn't)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yes, the pitcher probably doesn't come into play much on relays and such. And yes, backing up 3b or home might have them one foot in front of the fence and 5 feet behind their teammate. But yeah, we still coach them to get there.

I guess my point is...there really isn't a "there" to get to. I think a lot of people here (not saying you) don't get what I'm talking about because they're used to all the room behind the plate.

Here's a shot of our usual home field.

The umpire is a couple feet in front of the backstop. What you can't see in this shot is that the dead ball area goes from the backstop extended. A portion of the dirt you see on the left is actually not even in play.

The only place I can see a pitcher standing that's not in the way of the play would put her in dead ball territory, which defeats the purpose.

Attachments

• 1681236682625.png
    1681236682625.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Depends on whether your pitcher can walk and chew gum at the same time. Being able to throw OH would help too (you would be surprised...actually maybe you wouldn't)

My pitchers are far more likely to be able to do anything that requires athletic ability than my 1Bs, which is also factoring into my thinking here.

Oct 4, 2018
I guess my point is...there really isn't a "there" to get to. I think a lot of people here (not saying you) don't get what I'm talking about because they're used to all the room behind the plate.

Here's a shot of our usual home field.

The umpire is a couple feet in front of the backstop. What you can't see in this shot is that the dead ball area goes from the backstop extended. A portion of the dirt you see on the left is actually not even in play.

The only place I can see a pitcher standing that's not in the way of the play would put her in dead ball territory, which defeats the purpose.

Well, are they able to get this right: "Backup home when we're visitors, don't back up home when we're home"

You do want to coach them to play on any field, so that might get tricky.

So yeah, perhaps they go to the first base side of home plate just for the really rare wide throw or deflection. ? Honestly, not sure what I'd do here.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Well, are they able to get this right: "Backup home when we're visitors, don't back up home when we're home"

You do want to coach them to play on any field, so that might get tricky.

So yeah, perhaps they go to the first base side of home plate just for the really rare wide throw or deflection. ? Honestly, not sure what I'd do here.

I think this is something that we could do if we had the practice time to work the different scenarios often enough. Or if I just had the same 9 players in the same spots every game.

I'm probably looking for the impossible here. I think there's likely no quick/easy solution that we can knock out in a single practice.

The easiest thing might be to tell the pitcher to back up the play and if there's no room to just get out of the way. I just don't love taking our better players/athletes out of the play like that.

Jun 8, 2016
I think this is something that we could do if we had the practice time to work the different scenarios often enough. Or if I just had the same 9 players in the same spots every game.

I'm probably looking for the impossible here. I think there's likely no quick/easy solution that we can knock out in a single practice.

The easiest thing might be to tell the pitcher to back up the play and if there's no room to just get out of the way. I just don't love taking our better players/athletes out of the play like that.
If you think the pitcher(s) will do a much better job then it might be worth losing the backup...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles