Who is the traffic cop on a bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Runner at 1B, no outs. Batter bunts the ball toward the pitcher. It is too far from the plate for the catcher to field. 3B and 1B crash. 3B fields and runs into 1B trying to make the throw. Runner safe, although 3B could have gotten her easily. (And, of course, P strikes out the next two batters, and then gives up a bloop single. Game over.)

Whose job was it to tell 1B to get out of the way? Or, conversely, if they had a play at 2B, who was to tell the 3B to get out of the way?

What's the proper way to handle this type of situation? And, do you practice it?

(As an aside, if you ever get a chance to see Olympic softball, do it. The players are lightning fast on bunts. )

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’d say typically 3B has the right of way on a bunt as they probably have the easiest throw to 1B. If trying to get the runner at 2B I feel if it’s out of the catcher’s reach then the catcher has to be yelling where to go with the ball as other fielders are not watching that runner going to 2B. This is where athletic pitchers come into play. If the ball is bunted back towards the pitcher it’s probably easiest for her to turn and fire to 2B than it is for 3B or 1B to to side arm it there. JMHO.

Athletic pitchers can really make a huge difference on bunt defense.

May 13, 2023
Catcher facing the runners has best view of calling out where to make the play.
However corners and pitcher need to be advancing on the ball calling that they will get it.
( similar to a pop fly or fly ball defensive player identifies and calls it- I go I go )

Strategy pending the defensive abilities
(pitcher included) and positioning where the players have set up before the pitch.

For instance with a runner on first there is the consideration of a backpick where first base might be playing back. And third base already knows they're charging. Pitcher may be covering right side of field.

Add this
Third Base charges in to recover bunt while catcher shifts to Third Base calling out where to throw for the third baseman.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I’m coming at this from a college/high level perspective.

I don’t know that I would necessarily approach it as a play to be directed by one player. Action is faster than reaction. It takes time for direction to be given, directions to be perceived by the listener and for physical action to result. This play needs to be “muscle memory fast”.

Just like outfield, I prefer a pre planned hierarchy. It is going to depend on your 3b though. Is she fast? Is she fearless and willing to be waaaaaay up? Not many are. Doesn’t mean she can’t cover bunts.

I would say it’s the catchers play if she can. It’s gotta be CLOSE. 3b is preferred most of the time. She can call EVERYONE off and they better do it. If its 1b play, it is going to be pretty obvious and honestly that is such a tough out I’d almost prefer to keep her home… except for left handed p… Maybe? Again, “it depends”…

Here is my hierarchy if it isn’t clear: catcher but she isn’t taking much unless it’s right there. I don’t want her going far. 3b most of the time. 1b with a left handed pitcher.

If I was a hc I would practice this a lot in a situation where 3b can work it with no chance of getting a full swing or hard slap blasted at her even if she isn’t willing to do that in games. 3b takes almost everything. Some 3b can throw runners out from 1b foul territory. (Most aren’t). The balls that 3b takes on 1b side of the field: I personally believe throwing on the run is slower most of the time. Get her feet set and throw a bullet. Again its a case by case basis and I’d work it some both ways in practice.

In the Olympics, USA insisted on the ingenious plan of bunting runners to second. Japan threw out the runners at second. USA kept doing it because it was working so well. @sluggers, do you remember how Japan was playing it? Even in college, that takes a strong arm….

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
BTW, if I see a catcher that likes to chase bunts, I’m running a squeeze on her the first chance I get. Maybe even with 2 outs. If it works, I’m going to keep doing it because human behavior doesn’t just change minute by minute no matter what Coach Square Hair screams from the dugout.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If your pitcher is an athlete (there are some), I like leaving 1st base home more often. If my 3rd baseman can get the ball I want her calling it asap, not waiting until she almost has fielded it. If there is an easy out at 2nd, the catcher should be directing the 3rd baseman asap. So it should sound like this, ball ,ball, two,two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles