The insanity continues.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You run a $25M/year business with a $100M TV deal you get paid appropriately. 400k total comp is not out of line the head of an org of this size. LL was a business very early in its history when US Rubber got involved, so none of this should be a surprise.

The USSSA big wigs make a great deal of money also.

Kids sport can be big business

Oct 25, 2009
Wouldn't be too surprised if child labor laws will one day prevent kids from playing until they're 14 and have a worker's permit. Not much difference between swinging bats and speeding baseballs and machinery.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Wouldn't be too surprised if child labor laws will one day prevent kids from playing until they're 14 and have a worker's permit. Not much difference between swinging bats and speeding baseballs and machinery.

I can see it now - Youth players of the world unite! Join the Young Peoples Baseball Collective and be protected from capitalist exploitation! All teams will be equal and team colors will be red. :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
You run a $25M/year business with a $100M TV deal you get paid appropriately. 400k total comp is not out of line the head of an org of this size. LL was a business very early in its history when US Rubber got involved, so none of this should be a surprise.

The USSSA big wigs make a great deal of money also.

Kids sport can be big business

I see the same BS argument with the girl scouts pres who gets a similar salary. Some things are done for the community, the rewards for doing them are not and should not be solely monetary. Yes, if you are The prez of a gasket company then by all means take your cut. But things like LL, Girl Scouts etc are supposed to be done for the kids. So take your $200k. And spend the other $200k on them. Maybe create a few more of those hugely generous scholarships they mention that in total are less than a quarter of this guys salary.

On the other hand- if you are going to get yours while you pop off at the mouth about kids and community etc...then you are part of the problem that creates a society where everyone gets theirs and is always looking to get theirs, and starts to think along the lines of compensating LL players...which is such a disgustingly perverse notion that it even being thought would be cause for 10 lashings when I become benevolent dictator.

May 17, 2012
I love the little league world series as much as the next guy but there is no reason for it to be on TV.

If it is going to be on TV the money should all go back to the kids (put it in a escrow until they graduate HS) minus expenses.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Strange as it seems, the heads of quite a number of non-profits make a lot of money. I think for the major non-profits the average is about $250k, with double that not unreasonable for a really big organization.

For example, there is a faith-based charity, the denomination I won't mention to keep from offending people of that faith, where the CEO makes about $460,000 a year. That particular charity resettles a lot of refugees, and gets $ from the government to cover about 62% of the organization's funding. If I were a cynic, I might wonder how many of the refugees are members of that particular faith.

The fact is, over the past few decades the top dogs have been getting a much larger slice of the pie. In the old days, big name CEOs did not earn a lot of $. These days they make millions, sometimes tens of millions of dollars. So, the rationale of paying someone who is the CEO of a non-profit hundreds of thousands is that the same person could be earning millions in private enterprise.

That being said, probably the biggest scams are the college bowl games. These are set up as non-profits, they put on ONE game per YEAR, and many of their CEOs make hundreds of thousands a year. The colleges get millions for playing in the bowl games, and the kids get nothing.

When I was a kid, I knew the twin daughters of the HC of a BIG football program, the U of Arkansas. By big, I mean one year they lost the national championship by one point. Their father was paid about as much as a normal college professor. They were normal kids, except maybe a little more athletic. They were not poor, but there were plenty of kids in the school with richer parents: kids of prominent doctors, lawyers, etc.

These days the HC for Arkansas gets almost $4 million per year.

Remember John Wooden, who coached all those championships in round ball at UCLA? When he won his first NCAA championship, he was making $15,000 per year. Even adjusted for inflation, he made a lot less than some of the assistant coaches at miuch lesser schools.

Dec 2, 2012
Who would you have establishing staff compensation rates? If not the board of directors of the various organizations, who can best understand the strategic needs, and the skills required to meet those needs? The government? The membership? The membership is indirectly approving/establishing compensation rates through the board members elected to represent them. More importantly, the members are voting with their wallets and feet. Clearly LL continues to thrive by providing services at a price a very large number of families are willing to pay.

The alternative is government determining compensation rates....do you really want government bureaucrats determining what you and the LL president can legally make in wages?

I suppose it's only natural, but why should anyone care what the President of LL deposits in his bank account every month? If the board of directors is happy with the work being done, and results being delivered by the executive, what does it matter? If you don't like the board's priorities (staff comp vs scholarships), get involved and run for a board seat, or apply for the job as President and refuse a big portion of your wages.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I make a distinction between businesses and non profits. In business, yes, the market should dictate executive pay. For non profit organizations, I happen to believe that executive pay should be significantly lower and should be very transparent. LL/girl scouts etc do not face some highly competitive marketplace. They do not have to defend their clients from being poached by new competitors all the time. They do not have to run an R and D division to come up with new games to stay one step ahead of ASA. Running an organization like this could be done by many, many people. I am sure it is a full time job but it is not the same as facing the free market.

Or put it this way- I do charitable giving, one of my criteria is how much of every dollar goes to the cause of the charity. LL would not meet my criteria for a good charity. Being a non-profit is not the same as a charity in all cases but when a non profit takes excess revenues and starts plowing them into executive pay instead of reinvesting in the organization then it is a sign of stagnation or or outright corruption. I wonder how many candy bars would be sold to fundraise if they came with a flyer noting that the CEO of the organization selling the candy made $400k.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose