Team hopping and recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2013
First of all, Memorial Day isn't that far away at this point. Will switching teams really change the number of games you will play from now until the end of the summer? Or is the current team just getting a late start? I would want to look at that closer before I made a decision.
When we played 12u, we had 3 tournaments in by now. Now at 14u, our first tournament has not been played yet.

We are 10U and playing teams that have had at least 2-3 times as many games as us at this point. My concern is that staying on board will result in more missed weekends and more "excuses" as to why we don't play, or why we go to cupcake tournaments when we do play. Jumping now could result in 20-30 extra games, and playing better competition...but then the label of "quitter" may follow.

Apr 8, 2013
She can always try to pick up with other teams on her off weekends. I know this isn't optimal but it is better than leaving a team in mid-season and getting the dreaded "team jumper" label.

Serious question here - how do you pickup for a weekend? And keep in mind that I'm not the social butterfly type who knows everyone at the park.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We are 10U and playing teams that have had at least 2-3 times as many games as us at this point. My concern is that staying on board will result in more missed weekends and more "excuses" as to why we don't play, or why we go to cupcake tournaments when we do play. Jumping now could result in 20-30 extra games, and playing better competition...but then the label of "quitter" may follow.

We have given our team the schedule for the entire summer. They know what tournaments we are attending and the type of opponents we expect to face. It sounds like your team has not done this. If they are not willing to give you that type of information, then you need to do what you think is best for your daughter. If this is your first experience in TB, I would not worry about the "quitter" label. In my opinion, you would need to switch teams a couple of times before that label will stick. At this point you are still just trying to figure things out.

Apr 8, 2013
We did get a schedule. Also, we are in the southeast region (TN), so softball weather starts around early to mid-March with the exception of some of these extreme cold fronts that hit on occasion. So far we have played 3 of the 6 weekends on the "schedule," but one of the weekends was changed from a tournament to a round robin with far far far inferior teams. Not trying to throw stones, but it was our team of girls who have 3-4 years of experience vs beginner rec league type girls.

Here are the reasons for not playing the other 3 weekends scheduled:

1. Rained out. So I say then play the next week as we were scheduled to be off the next two weeks, but coach says no.
2. One was cancelled because one of the better players had a school function and couldn't attend. So I say we still have 10 capable girls, but coach says no.
3. One is cancelled because HC has to work that weekend. Assistant says I'll take the team and plenty of parents volunteered to help, but coach says no.

So how should I feel about the rest of the "schedule" considering what we've done so far? Personally I do not want to play EVERY weekend, but 3 times a month in April, May and June with 2 of those being real TB tournaments and one being a local round robin is what I expect.

What really "grinds my gears" as Peter Griffin would say, is that we are not actively seeking opportunities to play. For example. last weekend we had coaches from teams equal to or greater than us tell us about a round robin they would like to include us in on. They are doing it May 17 for cost of umps only. Our coach said no.

What makes this hard is that a) we like the coaches personally, and b) my DD is one of the better players on the team and it will leave them in a lurch.

After everyone's input, especially yours FP26, it looks like I will be following up with the team that inquired about my DD's availability.

To the original poster - I was wanting to start a thread like this but yours popped up right when I was getting ready to post, so thank you!

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Serious question here - how do you pickup for a weekend? And keep in mind that I'm not the social butterfly type who knows everyone at the park.
Check the local discussion boards in your area for all the major associations (ASA, NSA, USSSA, etc.). You will find lots of coaches looking to pick up players here and there.

Jun 24, 2013
I find that there are usually 3 camps of coaches:
1) Next best one up or Curb Kickers. These coaches are constantly looking for the next best girl. This creates a lot of tension on the team amongst girls and even more with parents in the stands. I find that these teams usually end up imploding due to the constant one-upping the parents engage in because they don't want their DD to fall into the bottom 3 and be the next one on the chopping block. These teams also seem to have bloated rosters because once they start winning some parents don't want to quit even if it means sacrificing playing time.
2) Develop what we have or Player Developer. These coaches will build a team and work on developing the players. Roster spots usually open up due to injury or people leaving. These teams are usually less competitive in the beginning but become better over time.
3) Taking all comers. We went to tryout for this "organization" once. The problem was that there were no real tryouts. The only reason you didn't make the team is if your checkbook wasn't good enough. Everyone who showed up made one of the teams (10U, 12U A team, 12U B team, 14U). Had people playing up in 14U that could barely catch, but hey they had 1 good P and that's all you need right? Took the best of the 12U girls and stuck them on the A team, took the rest and stuck them on the B team.

What we have left teams midseason for:
1) Blatant Daddy-ball. His DD pitched and wasn't as good as ours. He kept giving playing time to his DD. Not looking through rose colored glasses either. Several parents questioned why my DD's weren't pitching. Also giving playing time to his AC's DD's over better players on the team (not just my DD's).
2) Bad coach. Either his philosophy didn't match ours (which didn't show immediately) or they were just a horrible coach (didn't know the game, couldn't teach the girls, mismanagement, etc)

Other times we made it to the end of the season before switching teams. If it is not a catastrophe, I would recommend guest playing on other teams to fill those idle Saturdays until the end of the season. I would also discuss it with the coach. Some teams forbid their players from guest playing (Ha, HA, HA! try to forbid me........). If they do you have to figure out why. Some claim they don't want them to get injured (if your team barely has enough for a full roster, I can see that argument, but you could get injured at home also.), others claim it is so they only represent their current team (phooey! They are usually afraid of your DD getting discovered and then being recruited). I would tell the coach that you expected more tourneys and you want your DD to develop by playing more and that is why you want her to guest play. Hopefully they will understand. Either way this may spur them to either register for more tourneys or you may have to go to another team. If you are allowed to guest play, you can test drive some of the teams you might be considering going to.

We ended up starting our own teams.

Valid reasons for leaving:
1) a better coaching experience (not based on winning percentage, but on player development).
2) Exposure. If your DD is above the average great players on your team (like top 1-3 girls) and the new team does not already have a superstar at that position, I could see leaving. Especially if your current team does not offer the same amount of exposure.
3) Poisonous atmosphere. We have been on teams where the chemistry of the parents and girls was horrible. This was caused by a combination of bad coaching, daddy-ball and parents trying to position their DD's in the top 3 by bad mouthing every mistake another girl made.
4) Unrealistic demands. Bad coaching, etc.

Feb 3, 2011
I live in an extremely competitive softball area, where recruiting and team shopping are a regular part of the landscape and there are far more channels through which it happens than you may realize.

The more active coaches on this front will tell you that they keep up with strong players that may be unhappy in their present situations and by 'strong players' what they mean is 'parents who are unhappy for whatever reason'. But even though the players may be solid, coaches have to be wary of parents who are constantly on the lookout of a better situation aka team that wins more.

Things can get vicious as you begin preparing your team for 2nd-year 12u. After 3+ years, you know who most of the players are already. Here in Sacramento/NorCal, most all the 'good' teams have 5 really strong players and the difference in the teams is seen at the bottom half of the lineups, so as you're looking ahead at hopefully making a run for PGF Nationals, you're plotting and having conversations to figure out who might be available next season long before your tryouts are scheduled AND making deals, if necessary.

Coaches are in a tough position. As has been alluded to, if a coach ISN'T trying to improve the roster (I'm not talking about player development, I'm talking acquiring better personnel), they run the risk of losing strong players to programs that are. And if they ARE trying to get better talent, then they run the risk of having unhappy parents if their DDs are at the bottom and those coaches also get labeled as mercenaries.

It's not easy to balance all the goals of a team with the realities of the competitive environment they are in.

Check the local discussion boards in your area for all the major associations (ASA, NSA, USSSA, etc.). You will find lots of coaches looking to pick up players here and there.
Speed is right. Easy places to start and you should be able to hook her up right away.

Also, there are almost always a couple of teams who always use pick up players. We have a couple down here that always do, and they essentially pick up really good players from really good teams that happen to not be playing that weekend. They do this even if they have a full roster, and they sit their own girls so they have a better chance at winning tournaments.

One in particular seems to have a pipeline so rich that you'd think they planned their tournament schedule already knowing the schedules of a few of the top teams in our area as they always have excellent players to choose from every weekend.

I use these mercenary teams to find out which players on my biggest competition's teams are unhappy .... they are the ones who pick up when they aren't playing for their own teams. I then know who to make a recruiting run at for next year. :)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
After everyone's input, especially yours FP26, it looks like I will be following up with the team that inquired about my DD's availability.

I am glad you found my posts helpful, but I would not want to be the reason you switched teams. Before making such a decision as a parent, I would want to have a personal conversation with the coach to see what his plan is. If it is not in line with your plan, or you don't think you can believe he will follow through with his plan, then make your decision. My comments concerning the date did not have to do with the games you already missed. Those games are gone no matter what you do at this point. All you can control at this point is the present and the future. Ultimately it is your daughter and you need to do what you think is best. Either way I wish you and your DD the best of luck!

Oct 18, 2009

Sounds like you need a more committed, competitive team... or coach at least. What does your DD want? I'd let her know the options you have in mind and see what she wants to do.

You don't seem the type to be a quitter or team jumper once you find the org or team that fits your families needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44