TCB Balls $59.99 a dozen at Amazon

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I love mine. I could easily teach hitting w/o anything else. It is not the speed of the pitch, it is the batter's swing. They can correct their swing in 5 pitches, with encouragement.

I have all of them, except that hugest one. But, I am a ball hog.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
JMHO... too slow of a process. Not sure how fast you pitch yours, but probably not faster than 35mph... You got to work at the speed of the game you'll be playin in. Sorry :(

Hmmm...It wasn't a slow process for us. Within just a few hits off a tee, my DD understood the feeling of having to extend her power through the ball. Using the TCBs as recommended by the company's videos (tee or front toss) was very effective in teaching the intended lesson. TCBs aren't intended to be pitched anywhere near full speed.

IMO, when working on refining techniques or improving mechanics, working at a slower speed (sometimes much slower) is often very effective in teaching the muscles a new pattern of operation. Once the order is programmed, the speed can be increased.

Feb 7, 2013
JMHO... too slow of a process. Not sure how fast you pitch yours, but probably not faster than 35mph... You got to work at the speed of the game you'll be playin in. Sorry :(

EP: Just put sand in old tennis balls, but shot them with a machine...45+mph, it will but movement on the ball too...:cool:

PC - Remember the use of these balls are just one of many hitting drills the players will perform. What is important is reaction time from the ball's release to the hitting zone. You don't have to throw them 45+mph since you are front tossing from 20 feet (pick your distance). The beauty of TCB balls are you have to hit them directly on the sweet spot of the barrel otherwise they will go nowhere. They really expose poor swing mechanics and encourage a strong, powerful swing. My set have lasted about 3 years and I only have damaged one ball. Well worth the money IMO. FYI - I wouldn't try to catch them with a Lacrosse stick though....they might go through the netting...

I love mine. I could easily teach hitting w/o anything else. It is not the speed of the pitch, it is the batter's swing. They can correct their swing in 5 pitches, with encouragement.

I have all of them, except that hugest one. But, I am a ball hog.
Me, too. I really like the ones with holes in them. I use them at our indoor training facility, at games, during practice when I have limited space, and with DD in the front yard. I mix in a regular TCB every once in awhile and the girls love them.

I haven't tried the "hugest one" as you so aptly put it, nor the golf-ball size version. The big one doesn't interest me but I have heard the little ones can really fly so I have avoided them so far.

The "hole" and standard TCBs are a great part of our hitting regimen and I'll continue to use them and buy them up when I see deals like this!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC - Remember the use of these balls are just one of many hitting drills the players will perform. What is important is reaction time from the ball's release to the hitting zone. You don't have to throw them 45+mph since you are front tossing from 20 feet (pick your distance). The beauty of TCB balls are you have to hit them directly on the sweet spot of the barrel otherwise they will go nowhere. They really expose poor swing mechanics and encourage a strong, powerful swing. My set have lasted about 3 years and I only have damaged one ball. Well worth the money IMO. FYI - I wouldn't try to catch them with a Lacrosse stick though....they might go through the netting...

Thx... FYI... the LaCross & the TCB & the softtoss were all things I'm never wanting my time wasted with ever again.... I voted Nah...VOTE...you should have seen it is unanimous so far... poopoo

Here is the ONE thing I liked this year... Between games in a tourney...after our first loss, because...the other team bunted back to back.... on the diamond that they dropped for the day, and we had lotz of time til next game...w/ our wild one pitching... :cool: Yea, thats my DD... "Syd the Kid" #57 putting on a Clinic !!! and she can catch it in a LaCross Racket... if she has too :mad:

BetweenGameWarmUps

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm waiting on a price drop on the 3.2" hole balls. I could make good use of those in lots of places.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Hmmm...It wasn't a slow process for us. Within just a few hits off a tee, my DD understood the feeling of having to extend her power through the ball. Using the TCBs as recommended by the company's videos (tee or front toss) was very effective in teaching the intended lesson. TCBs aren't intended to be pitched anywhere near full speed.

IMO, when working on refining techniques or improving mechanics, working at a slower speed (sometimes much slower) is often very effective in teaching the muscles a new pattern of operation. Once the order is programmed, the speed can be increased.

Thx...I was't talking about how long it took to develop...I was stateing that I doubt you toss it over 35 really 25 mph... even standing up close...20' What if you hit her with it ???... "Starting from Scratch" :(

I might be usefull to use for only 10 pitches a day to a pre-8u... might want to read other threads on here about it.... I did :cool:

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thx...I was't talking about how long it took to develop...I was statinging that I doubt you toss it over 35 really 25 mph... even standing up close...20' What if you hit her with it ???... "Starting from Scratch" :(

I might be usefull to use for only 10 pitches a day to a pre-8u... might want to read other threads on here about it.... I did :cool:

Sometimes, PC, I have no idea what you're talking about - LOL :)

Did a lot of reading about TCBs before I bought any. I agree with the MANY people that find them tremendously useful for teaching some specific things. Throwing them fast - from any distance - is not what they are designed for. For my DD's age, hitting the TCBs off a tee works just fine.

If you don't care for them, that's fine. I'm not going to try to change your mind.