Tarp covering a field - need advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We need to get in a couple of games in the next few days, but it's raining and the infield is unplayable (Like cake batter but not quicksand)

We have some plastic sheeting that we could cover most of the field with, and I'm wondering if it would help if the field is already wet.

My thought is that it would keep additional rain off the field while the wet that's already there would have a chance to percolate thru into the soil below. So when the rain does stop, we might have a better chance of getting it playable.

do any of you have experience with this?

Oct 25, 2009
I believe covering a wet field will help keep it wet. Wind helps the field dry. I read a post on here some time back where a TD in Ohio brought in a helicopter to help dry the fields.

Jul 26, 2010
It depends on if the field was constructed properly with the right kind of subterranean drainage. If so, covering would help. If not (most public fields are NOT constructed properly) then it would not help.

When the rain stops, how long does it usually take for the field to recover? Are there standing puddles? Does the infield stay soggy for a day or so?

-W

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
The cover might help keeping it from getting more wet but you would want to remove it as soon as it stops raining so the sun and wind can do their job.

The key is to get out there early after it stops raining and remove any standing water and rake out the wet spots. The ridges made by the rake will help the sun and wind dry it out faster. When it's dry enough you can drag it smooth.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
When this field gets wet, there are standing puddles that last for days if we don't take care of them right away.

We usually get coaches together and sweep out the puddles, then add the stuff we get in bags that looks like infield dirt, then rake and spread, then add some more and rake some more, etc. the last time with 4 of us and about 16 bags of stuff, we got it ready in about 2.1/2 hours. Game went from cancelled to starting late.

I figured that covering might slow down the continuous soaking and allow it to perc, but that field is really slow to perc and now that you mention it, it's probably a waste of time.

we aren't going to see the sun till maybe Sunday. all games have to be finished Saturday. we really do need to jump on it when the rain stops.

thank you.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Boy, we need rain in the worst way - but anyhow. I saw a guy get a field ready buy digging holes where the water was standing and inserting a coffee can for the water to drain into. Then, he dumped that in a bucket. I also saw water removed from the outfield, using spongy type fabric that you would repair a couch with.

There was that time that we sat the infield on fire, too - but I don't suggest that. :)

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Wow the coffee can method would take forever. If you have power available you could probably use a wet vac to suck the water up but I've never tried it.

I use the flat side of a rake to pull the water out of the puddle onto the dryer parts of the field so it can soak in. Just takes time and patience.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
You have to get the standing water off the field as quickly as possible. You can dig a small trench that has a silght decline from the puddle to the sideline. I have also used the bucket method. Just make sure you dont add dry dirt to mud. All you get is more mud. Standing water off, scratch the surface to allow dirt to dry quicker.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321