Strike Zone Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2009
Late in joining this thread.

Our local association uses the following guidelines for ASA and High School (I don't do NCAA):
1. Bottom of the ball at top of the knee (lowest strike)
2. Top of the ball at the bottom of the armpit/sternum (highest strike)
3. You will get generous corners belt high. In tournament play, you will get a strike in the channel/river, even with part of ball over chalk of batter's box.
4. Your corners will not be so generous if pitch is at upper or lower limits of 1 or 2 above. IOW, it can be too high/low to be an inside/outside strike.
This pretty much coincides with the diagrams illustrated by previous poster.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Then maybe he should have typed what he meant. Not only is it not common, it is outright lazy to "shorten thoughts" by using unsubstantiated superlatives. Another level of dummying down of the human population out of pure laziness to avoid learning and doing things right.

OMG this is so funny. I am reading your response and laughing at you so loudly right now I just can stop. What a convoluted, random grouping of total B.S.!!! You have definitely been on a roll lately with all the negative posts. I sure hope whatever is going wrong in your life gets worked out so you can begin enjoying it again. Life doesn't have to be all negative and grumpy. We are only on this earth for a short time and tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us. Relax and enjoy it.

btw... Do you even know what an "unsubstantiated superlative" is? I know they are two big words next to each other, and you say them in such a condescending way as to try to intimidate me to keep me from responding, but it really doesn't appear you understand what they actually mean.

An "unsubstantiated superlative" is statement along the lines of "The Best...," "The #1 recommended...", "The top...." In the original post, "most" was used as an adjective. Nothing more, nothing less. The word "Most" was NOT used as an "unsubstantiated superlative." Perhaps the original poster could be guilty of an "unsubstantiated generalization"... but not a unsubstantiated superlative. If you are going to rag on me at least get it right. :)

Based upon your response, it appears that you might actually be the world's expert on the process of "dummying down." (for the record it should be "dumbing down").

btw... you obviously have a wealth of knowledge and experience that you have earned over your life. You are an expert with the rules of the game. Why not be a positive resource for the sport instead of a negative grump. Think of the parts of the game you enjoy and let the negative stuff go. If it is not fun anymore for you I would suggest finding a hobby.

Go ahead and pick this apart and tell me where I am wrong. It seems you get great enjoyment out of it and who am I to deprive you of some enjoyment. Have fun!

(Just having a little fun with you MTR! Hope you still have a sense of humor! If not I apologize in advance.)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
OMG this is so funny. I am reading your response and laughing at you so loudly right now I just can stop. What a convoluted, random grouping of total B.S.!!! You have definitely been on a roll lately with all the negative posts. I sure hope whatever is going wrong in your life gets worked out so you can begin enjoying it again. Life doesn't have to be all negative and grumpy. We are only on this earth for a short time and tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us. Relax and enjoy it.

btw... Do you even know what an "unsubstantiated superlative" is? I know they are two big words next to each other, and you say them in such a condescending way as to try to intimidate me to keep me from responding, but it really doesn't appear you understand what they actually mean.

An "unsubstantiated superlative" is statement along the lines of "The Best...," "The #1 recommended...", "The top...." In the original post, "most" was used as an adjective. Nothing more, nothing less. The word "Most" was NOT used as an "unsubstantiated superlative." Perhaps the original poster could be guilty of an "unsubstantiated generalization"... but not a unsubstantiated superlative. If you are going to rag on me at least get it right. :)

Well, you see, that is the great thing about the stupidity and dummying down of america. If enough people get it wrong, they just change or add to the definition. Personally, for me it wasn't putting two big words together, it was a matter of trying to draw attention. Would you have felt more comfortable is I stated it was an unsubstantiated exaggeration? I couldn't care less......another simple, often misstated comment that people really don't have a clue of what they are actually saying.

Based upon your response, it appears that you might actually be the world's expert on the process of "dummying down." (for the record it should be "dumbing down").

btw... you obviously have a wealth of knowledge and experience that you have earned over your life. You are an expert with the rules of the game. Why not be a positive resource for the sport instead of a negative grump. Think of the parts of the game you enjoy and let the negative stuff go. If it is not fun anymore for you I would suggest finding a hobby.

Go ahead and pick this apart and tell me where I am wrong. It seems you get great enjoyment out of it and who am I to deprive you of some enjoyment. Have fun!

(Just having a little fun with you MTR! Hope you still have a sense of humor! If not I apologize in advance.)

You say negative, I say constructive criticism. IMO, in general, people have become too lazy and acceptable of second-rate everything. And if people don't like responses they think are negative, oh well, they are permitted their opinions. :)

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
The zone I see get called most of the time seems to looks more like this - of course, I could be wrong...

ActualZone.jpg

Thanks Hollow Man. We see the zone as starting at mid shin and stops at the belly button. Then along the inside edge of the plate (in relation to the batter left or right) and then about 2 ball lengths off the outside edge of the plate (to include the black base outline of the plate). Stopped arguing about it and now try to teach my pitchers to land the ball in those farther reaching spots when an umpire calls it.
If we must struggle with it at bat we at least can equalize the game by hanging a lot of pitches way outside and getting the call. :p Just a way to adapt.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its amazing to me that a "black and white" rule has so much variance between blues.
In my area, quality umpires are are like flying squirrels... everyone has seen them on tv but never in real life!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Its amazing to me that a "black and white" rule has so much variance between blues.
In my area, quality umpires are are like flying squirrels... everyone has seen them on tv but never in real life!

Maybe you should try it.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas

Some of us that are umpires feel the same way about coaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff