Strike Zone Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I really don't care what the strike zone is as long as Blue is consistent with both teams.

I agree for the most part. However some of the umps don't know what the zone is.

I've just heard so many complaints from parents about high pitches being called strikes. Most of them mean well but think the zone is the same as mlb. Now I can politely let them know exactly what the zone is.

In truth we have some high school students that do a better job than the more experienced umps. Perhaps because they have recently learn the proper way.

My hats off to those who ump. It's a job I prefer not to do.

Thanks for the replies,
Tim

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I agree for the most part. However some of the umps don't know what the zone is.

I've just heard so many complaints from parents about high pitches being called strikes. Most of them mean well but think the zone is the same as mlb. Now I can politely let them know exactly what the zone is.

In truth we have some high school students that do a better job than the more experienced umps. Perhaps because they have recently learn the proper way.

My hats off to those who ump. It's a job I prefer not to do.

Thanks for the replies,
Tim

Because there is so much subjectivity when it comes to calling balls and strikes, as a coach its not really worth worrying about the "real" strike zone because its not fixed but changes from game to game and ump to ump based on their frame of reference. Otherwise you will be frustrated with the calls that are not within your definition of a "strike zone". IMO, consistency is the only thing that is important.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Whoa! For years now, people including many on this and other boards have DEMANDED umpires call the zone by the book. For as equally as long, I've been trying to explain they do not want that because what you and they think is a high pitch, if you use the book's defined zone, it is/was a strike.

Or maybe they were never trained at all and/or just called what they thought would satisfy the coaches and cause the least grief. And I've seen that at all levels.

All subjective and hopefully consistant. As a coach all i can do is piss off blue even more with "asking where that was".
We try to get our catcher to have a quick chat with blue during 1st inning warm ups to get a feel for where the zone is this game..
Blue is supposed to be impartial yet anytime my catcher can make him smile or laugh its always a good thing.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I wouldn't suggest letting the ump know "exactly" what anything is, politely or not, unless you want him to show you you're wrong. I love to hear the other teams complain about the strike zone while our pitcher zones in on what the ump is calling, right or wrong, as long as it is consistant and the same for both teams.

I have found, however that most umps don't mind if you politely ask between innings "It's kind of hard to tell from my angle, how far is she missing that outside corner by? Is she close, or way out?" Usually he will tell you what he's seeing.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC

Note the bold, I was referring to parents. Not the umps. Not sure how that got misconstrued.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Note the bold, I was referring to parents. Not the umps. Not sure how that got misconstrued.

Unfortunately, they are not mutually exclusive. And equally unfortunate, many reactions are not that unsimilar.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I wouldn't suggest letting the ump know "exactly" what anything is, politely or not, unless you want him to show you you're wrong. I love to hear the other teams complain about the strike zone while our pitcher zones in on what the ump is calling, right or wrong, as long as it is consistant and the same for both teams.

I have found, however that most umps don't mind if you politely ask between innings "It's kind of hard to tell from my angle, how far is she missing that outside corner by? Is she close, or way out?" Usually he will tell you what he's seeing.

FPM - why take any chance of alienating blue, just ask your catcher. She better know exactly where blue's zone is and how much the pitches are missing by!

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
T Red, Sorry, I guess I miss understood.

Geenmonsters, You are correct, the catcher is the first one to ask. I would only ask the ump if she says that she can't tell what he is calling, or I want him to pay a little closer atention. This would actually be a kind of generic question about where his strike zone is. If you use the right tone of voice, and not act like he is doesn't know what he's doing, you might be surprised by his answer. I've had umps tell me "Oh yes, she is catching the corner, it's just a little low." At that point you thank him and go back to the dugout. Nine times out of ten, the next inning you can throw the same pitch, in the same location, and he will either call it a strike or, he will motion with his hand where it was. Thats all I need to have my pitcher zone in.

Mar 13, 2010
As an older pitcher, if I'm not sure where I went wrong I will ask the umpire. Always give them the option, 'was it high, or outside' and you'll usually get an answer and they're not happy. My catcher will always walk off after the first inning and tell me what he's calling.

One of the most frustrating things for me as a pitcher is watching either a coach or a player start going off at the umpire, because I know then I'm going to get less strikes called. Thankfully I've now been at my association long enough that I know all the umpires, so it makes it easier.

My favourite umpires though have to be the ones that change their strike zone every inning. Nothing more frustrating!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves