Strike Zone Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Vertically the zone is from the top of the knees to the armpits. Does that mean any part of the ball that crosses the zone or does the entire ball have to be in the zone?

In other words is it like the horizontal zone or not. Where the width is 17" plus 2 times the ball diameter.

Thanks,
Tim

Dec 28, 2008
In general my experience has been that any book rules regarding strike zones remain in the book. Umpires adjust the strike zone to whatever they see fit. Hence, I have my player think in terms of a "Hitting Zone" which is any point at which the player can make solid contact with the ball and let the umpire save his eyes for calling outs.

Jul 26, 2010
According to the letter of the rules, only part of the ball has to be in the "strikezone". Like Druer says though, the strikezone varries.

Coincidentally, in 2008, the NCAA changed the strikezone to be from the bottom of the sternum to the bottom of the knees. This was in response to the rise-ball and effectively killed the rise as anything but a setup pitch. In response to this, MANY ASA umpires treat the strikezone the same in ASA as it is in NCAA, even though the ASA zone never officially changed. The reality is that very few pitches above the belly button will be called strikes, but each strike zone will vary.

Learning each umpires strikezone is a skill that pitchers, hitters, and coaches need to learn. Teaching catchers and pitchers to "expand" the strike zone is also a good skill to know.

-W

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In general my experience has been that any book rules regarding strike zones remain in the book. Umpires adjust the strike zone to whatever they see fit. Hence, I have my player think in terms of a "Hitting Zone" which is any point at which the player can make solid contact with the ball and let the umpire save his eyes for calling outs.

What he said!

Jun 22, 2008
Call the strike zone as its written and both coaches would be ejected before the end of the 1st inning. If you called the upper end of the zone with any part of the ball catching the armpit, it would put the top of the ball very nearly at the chin.

Jan 23, 2009
According to the letter of the rules, only part of the ball has to be in the "strikezone". Like Druer says though, the strikezone varries.

Coincidentally, in 2008, the NCAA changed the strikezone to be from the bottom of the sternum to the bottom of the knees. This was in response to the rise-ball and effectively killed the rise as anything but a setup pitch. In response to this, MANY ASA umpires treat the strikezone the same in ASA as it is in NCAA, even though the ASA zone never officially changed. The reality is that very few pitches above the belly button will be called strikes, but each strike zone will vary.

Learning each umpires strikezone is a skill that pitchers, hitters, and coaches need to learn. Teaching catchers and pitchers to "expand" the strike zone is also a good skill to know.

-W

Actually the 2008 NCAA rule change has two parts. 1) The top of the zone was lowered to the sternum and 2) the "top" of the ball has to be on or within the top boundary of the zone. Meaning the entire ball must be at or below the top of the defined zone, and over the plate (without bouncing), in order to be a strike. The rule regarding the left, right and bottom zone boundaries were unchanged namely, any part of the ball touching those boundaries, over the plate, is a strike.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
NCAAZone.jpg

Above is the illustration from the NCAA rule book, presented as part of their definition of the strike zone.

For upper-level games, with decent pitchers who have appreciable speed and can hit their spots, this is the zone I call in ASA, high school and NSA games- with the the exception of raising the top line of the zone to the armpits. This represents an equal balance for both the pitchers and the batters and is an acceptable zone to participants at higher level games.

For games with not very accomplished players- very young kids or inexperienced pitchers- I tend to give "all the zone"- and maybe a tiny bit more all around the edges. I stick more to the philosophy of "any part of the ball nicking any part of the strike zone"- within reason. Expanding the zone a little is one thing- calling ridiculously unhittable pitches another. You can't do that! You have to find the balance that works for less experienced teams. Participants at lower levels seem to accept and appreciate this zone.

If an umpire can consistently call similar zones, for both pitchers, he shouldn't have too many problems. He will be meeting the expectations of the participants at those levels and that right there prevents a lot of complaints. I work around 100 games a year and using these "interpretations" of the strike zone I rarely have any ball/strike complaining.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2010
The zone I see get called most of the time seems to looks more like this - of course, I could be wrong...

ActualZone.jpg

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Changing to the sternum is a "let's make them feel good and they'll stop complaining" move by the NCAA. It is also impossible for any umpire to KNOW where the top of that strike zone is. As everyone was praising NCAA for setting the umpires straight, the umpires didn't change a thing, still called the same zones,

Umpires are given specific instruction on where the strike zone is and how to apply it and most are right on top of it even though many don't believe it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I really don't care what the strike zone is as long as Blue is consistent with both teams. Its critical that your batters and pitchers adjust their hitting and pitching to accomodate each games strike zone. I have seen games where shins were low strikes and shoulders were high strikes. The better teams will adjust more quickly and use it to their advantage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves