Strike out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD is part of a very good 12U "three girl rotation". All have ERAs and WHIPs right around 1 playing A ball. It's an impressive staff.

However, the other two girls average 1.5 Ks per Inning. My DD is right at 1.

They all locate well, all spin well, all have good breaking balls. The most discernible difference is speed. One is at 60, one is at 58, my DD is at 56. Perhaps the speed in games isn't what you're seeing in lessons? Just a thought from my one data point.

I do think the two answers above mine are more likely.

Another likely answer is the Law of Small Numbers (Pattar can correct me if this is something I'm making up). But the numbers might even out with more games and more data. Your DD might have pitched against the teams with better batters who strike out less. If you really want to dig, go find the teams both your DD and her friend pitched against in Game Changer and review all their games played and total up the strikeouts. Perhaps the friend pitched against teams that whiff more often.
It is the Law of Large Numbers but you have the basic idea 😃

Jan 28, 2017
The main thing is that your DD is successful. Don't get tied up in comparing too much. I made that mistake when mine as younger and it wasn't beneficial to us.
Thanks and I don't really care about the strike out other than most of her runs are when the leadoff gets on 2nd base and two ground balls and they score. Would like to be able to get a strike out to keep them from scoring.

Aug 20, 2017
It's extremely odd. DD seems to get two strikes very fast on most hitters. They both have good movement. Most will tell you my DD has better spin (I do not necessary agree). I think my DD is two accurate. Meaning that if you call it two balls off it is normally two balls off and they don't swing. Friend maybe 1.5 or closer. DD has pitched 16 innings and walked one. The scouting report is to swing. Friend 18 innings and walked 4. Both hit spots really good but it appears my DD stays off the middle more.
Read what Greg Maddux said about 0-2 counts and “waste” pitches
This^ plus

Pitch calling.

Being able to read batters, i.e. see them swing and know where their weak spots are.
This is important. Where are they in the box (off or tight), what is their posture (more bend or standing taller), what has timing been (early or late), what has swing plane been (missing under or over), use foul balls for feedback.

Of course the above varies based on what pitches you were throwing.

If you want more strikeouts, I would suggest working up in the zone. Majority of hitters misses are under.

Jun 8, 2016
Best indicator of K % is Swing and Miss %..now why your DD would have less swings and misses (if indeed she does) is probably due to a number of factors. If you really are interested track the pitches which induce swings and misses (location, pitch type,etc)

Jan 28, 2017
Sometimes it really is a guess. My daughter has never been the fastest. Parts of her motion could be perceived as deceptive and I have fought her for years on mechanics. I’ve given up at this point. She owns her motion. She is also a lefty and I’m sure that helps.

She has always lead the team with K’s. She gets more swings and misses then any pitcher on her travel or HS team. She is not the fastest on either of them. In travel she is the #1 and will normally see the harder competition. In HS she is the #2. Even when her and the #1 share a game against the same team, she will often have 2-3 more strikeouts. Our #1 is bigger, faster and moves the ball just as well as my daughter.

I’ve honestly stoped trying to figure it out and just roll with it. Sometimes, I think there is a competitive factor that needs to be factored in. If my daughter gets ahead in the count. She is going after the batters.

Read what Greg Maddux said about 0-2 counts and “waste” pitches

This is important. Where are they in the box (off or tight), what is their posture (more bend or standing taller), what has timing been (early or late), what has swing plane been (missing under or over), use foul balls for feedback.

Of course the above varies based on what pitches you were throwing.

If you want more strikeouts, I would suggest working up in the zone. Majority of hitters misses are under.
I have and agree.

Jan 28, 2017
Best indicator of K % is Swing and Miss %..now why your DD would have less swings and misses (if indeed she does) is probably due to a number of factors. If you really are interested track the pitches which induce swings and misses (location, pitch type,etc)
Thanks, haven't looked at swing and misses. Just thinking DD gets a lot of strikes that they do not swing and off the handle or end of the bat first pitch outs.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks, haven't looked at swing and misses. Just thinking DD gets a lot of strikes that they do not swing and off the handle or end of the bat first pitch outs.
It is also possible that if your DD does have better stuff, batters may be going up there with just the intent of putting the ball in play 🤷🏽‍♂️

Jan 28, 2017
It is also possible that if your DD does have better stuff, batters may be going up there with just the intent of putting the ball in play 🤷🏽‍♂️
I think their stuff is very close. DD locates better and throws a little harder. The scouting report on my DD is to get your hacks in but should be for the other kid also. We play a local TB team that is very good and they basically tell them to swing at everything when my DD is pitching.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy