Stretch & Fire Success!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
IMO - it is the #1 drill. I have been at this a long time and tried pretty much everything out there and this drill not only feels right (once you learn how to do it correctly - and a footnote that many other so called drills feel absolutely wrong no matter how much you do it) it leads to the other few drills that can be applied to your regular swing. Once you figure out the SnF you can apply to these other drills

Rear Leg Swings
Deep Tee
Reverse Top Hands (done with a rearward turn of the barrel)
Modified SnF off front toss / machine / live

There are two drills that really helped me. First, the SnF drill. Second, Tewks' "step open" drill. I think he can provide you with more information on that one.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
There are two drills that really helped me. First, the SnF drill. Second, Tewks' "step open" drill. I think he can provide you with more information on that one.

what would you do, if you had one hour, and 15 girls, at the same time, by yourself?

As an edit, i was going to work on stretch, which would include, coil foward, and scap pinch, using Cabrera as a model.

Hs girls. short preseason.

mlow130203-008_edited-1-M.jpg

assume they all look like this.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
what would you do, if you had one hour, and 15 girls, at the same time, by yourself?

That's an exceptional question. I'm going to assume that none of them turn the barrel. I would teach them to turn the barrel. Turning the barrel allows for such an easier time squaring the ball. Then, I'd teach the resistance and how the barrel turn is the trigger.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
That's an exceptional question. I'm going to assume that none of them turn the barrel. I would teach them to turn the barrel. Turning the barrel allows for such an easier time squaring the ball. Then, I'd teach the resistance and how the barrel turn is the trigger.

Can i get a drill gif, so can use it from my projector, in the room?

Jan 13, 2012
There isn't really any "drill" for turning the barrel. The best one I can think of is the Swingbuilder drill.

Here's a video of it:

For better or worse, this is the best visual aid I can think of.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hey, I just asked a specific question here that still has not been answered.

But this is just nonsense....

"His coil is minor really. Little bat wrap, front shoulder stays fairly square. This is more of a Kevin Long type swing."
Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huff View Post
Well, there is nothing new in his back leg. Do you think we teach some static leg? And what about that bat angle straight back at the catcher at hip connection (not up or down plane)? Driving his hands just in front of the hip, and keeping that arm frame the whole time? Looks like a waist high inside pitch where everything stays close to the body. His extension appears to be complete pointing at left center field. My guess is that he hit it about 50 feet inside the left field foul pole, unless it hooked. But then again, you never hit the inside edge of the ball (not sure how you change the angle of the direction of the hit ball?). Pujols holds his hands away from the body enough to get his hands inside any speed on the inner corner. That is one thing that drives me crazy about some coaches. I think even Sue Enquist teaches to keep your hands close to the back shoulder (pitcher's view). Pujols' are a little far away for me, because this will make him a less able to drive it to RF (for example a smaller guy). But maybe he makes adjustments and pulls his hands in."

"His coil is minor really. Little bat wrap, front shoulder stays fairly square. This is more of a Kevin Long type swing.
OK, Chris - this guy is your model hitter. Any idea why his back leg moves like it does? Why even though it straightens it is IRing the whole time? Why didn't you just teach this to Torres?" Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huff View Post

Kevin Long is the Yankees hitting coach.

R

RayR

Oh - I thought he was one of O'learys students....

"His coil is minor really. Little bat wrap, front shoulder stays fairly square. This is more of a Kevin Long type swing."
Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huff View Post
Well, there is nothing new in his back leg. Do you think we teach some static leg? And what about that bat angle straight back at the catcher at hip connection (not up or down plane)? Driving his hands just in front of the hip, and keeping that arm frame the whole time? Looks like a waist high inside pitch where everything stays close to the body. His extension appears to be complete pointing at left center field. My guess is that he hit it about 50 feet inside the left field foul pole, unless it hooked. But then again, you never hit the inside edge of the ball (not sure how you change the angle of the direction of the hit ball?). Pujols holds his hands away from the body enough to get his hands inside any speed on the inner corner. That is one thing that drives me crazy about some coaches. I think even Sue Enquist teaches to keep your hands close to the back shoulder (pitcher's view). Pujols' are a little far away for me, because this will make him a less able to drive it to RF (for example a smaller guy). But maybe he makes adjustments and pulls his hands in."

"His coil is minor really. Little bat wrap, front shoulder stays fairly square. This is more of a Kevin Long type swing.
OK, Chris - this guy is your model hitter. Any idea why his back leg moves like it does? Why even though it straightens it is IRing the whole time? Why didn't you just teach this to Torres?" Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huff View Post

Kevin Long is the Yankees hitting coach.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

As an edit, i was going to work on stretch, which would include, coil foward, and scap pinch, using Cabrera as a model.

Hs girls. short preseason.

mlow130203-008_edited-1-M.jpg

assume they all look like this.

What some call the Matrix. Slow motion divide the swing into two parts, stance through load and toe touch, from loaded position to hip connection. Then do slow motion tee work, then repeat and full motion off the tee.

That front knee bend and lean is not going to help them in hitting. I teach everything in slow motion.

Break every problem into its simplest elements.
Work from the simplest to the most complex (usually start from the ground up).
Never assume anything as fact for which there is any doubt!
- The scientific method

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I didn't use them in my teaching because, quite frankly, I did not understand them because i never could feel them. Now that I do - I realize what I was missing and now when I post hitters it is to show certain things....and when I post my swings it is because I believe in what I doing and more importantly can feel the difference.

I don't mind debating you guys until the cows come home because it is increasingly clear (to paraphrase Rich) your words indicate that you have never felt it - so you can't see it. All of the explanations, comments, digs all indicate that you are just holding onto to your belief system and lashing out....

=======

Good example of this feel it to see it scenario here:

Toe Touch and Heel Plant

"Don Slaught at RightViewPro.

You need to land on a soft front leg, so thinking toe, then heel helps. There is dang little time elapsed between toe touch and heel plant, so it's hard to call each a check point, but your hips start to turn as the heel plants, in power swings. Also, the back elbow starts to come into the hip, at heel plant." - jbooth

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl