Sportsmanship issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I think someone needs to cut down on the morning coffee.

I'm not familiar with the rules of basketball, but it doesn't matter. What might be tolerated at some level of another sport doesn't make the action right, just not specifically against the rules. There's a clear difference between those who are good players, and those who need to try to distract or trash talk. Win or lose, those who compete without the extraneous BS so often found in sports are, in the long run, respected far more.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
I think someone needs to cut down on the morning coffee.

Why? Because you challenged my morals with no basis and were challenged on your opinion about ultra competitive instead of answering the question? I asked a basic question about the game my DD loves. You turned it to being about "a deeper issue". Next time, just answer the question or leave it alone. I don't have to sit silently while you spew nonsense because I want to get educated about the game. Newsflash: I don't know everything about softball. Another Newsflash: If I don't know something, I'm going to ask a question. Last newsflash: Asking about a rule does not always mean you are skirting the line. Sometimes......you just don't know.

Bottom line is this has been a great discussion and very eye-opening to me as to why this sport is truly a gem in sports. The nuances, the rules, it's special. I respect it and appreciate it. I won't, however, sit back while you question my morals or my daughter's because we don't know a rule. That has nothing to do with coffee.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Why? Because you challenged my morals with no basis and were challenged on your opinion about ultra competitive instead of answering the question? I asked a basic question about the game my DD loves. You turned it to being about "a deeper issue". Next time, just answer the question or leave it alone. I don't have to sit silently while you spew nonsense because I want to get educated about the game. Newsflash: I don't know everything about softball. Another Newsflash: If I don't know something, I'm going to ask a question. Last newsflash: Asking about a rule does not always mean you are skirting the line. Sometimes......you just don't know.

Bottom line is this has been a great discussion and very eye-opening to me as to why this sport is truly a gem in sports. The nuances, the rules, it's special. I respect it and appreciate it. I won't, however, sit back while you question my morals or my daughter's because we don't know a rule. That has nothing to do with coffee.

After trying to digest your last rant, I think you clearly win the "nonsense" award for the morning. You keep trying to spin this into me picking on your kid, which is really baffling.

I get it, you don't like my answer, probably because it probed a bit deeper than you wanted. That's always a risk when you ask questions that go beyond the technical aspects of the game. I assume you're an adult, and I hope you act better on the field when given an answer you don't like.

Aug 26, 2015
I'm not familiar with the rules of basketball, but it doesn't matter. What might be tolerated at some level of another sport doesn't make the action right, just not specifically against the rules. There's a clear difference between those who are good players, and those who need to try to distract or trash talk. Win or lose, those who compete without the extraneous BS so often found in sports are, in the long run, respected far more.

By your definition, the following players disrespect the game and should no longer be considered hall of famers (short list off the top of my head):

Micheal Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
Larry Bird
Moses Malone
Gary Peyton
Charles Barkley
Detlef Schrempf
Reggie Miller
the list goes on and on.....

Every single one of those players were deeply dedicated to the sport of basketball and they all did the "BS" you mentioned. And since the NBA is the highest level, they would HAVE be considered extremist. You mentioned that you don't know about the rules of basketball. Fair point. You also mention that it doesn't matter. This is where you go off the rails. If said behavior is not only accepted, but championed, it isn't a moral issue at all. Just a difference of sport. You made it about right vs. wrong in societal thinking. It's just a different sport.....

Aug 26, 2015
After trying to digest your last rant, I think you clearly win the "nonsense" award for the morning. You keep trying to spin this into me picking on your kid, which is really baffling.

I get it, you don't like my answer, probably because it probed a bit deeper than you wanted. That's always a risk when you ask questions that go beyond the technical aspects of the game. I assume you're an adult, and I hope you act better on the field when given an answer you don't like.

If I ask a question, I'll expect an answer. If you attempt to "probe" into something you weren't asked to, I'll check it. That's on a message board or in person. I'm not skirting or insinuating. I'm talking to you directly. If I go to far, like an adult, I'll apologize. Period. If you can't "digest" 2 paragraphs, that's a problem.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Larry Bird was a dirty player??? Too funny. If you want to model Charles Barkley as the example for your DD to follow, good luck with that. There are plenty of things screwed up with society in general, and youth sports in particular. The latter tends to reflect the former, and most all of the problems start with the adults who can't or won't properly teach their kids, and then throw a fit when someone has the temerity to talk about what's right instead of what might not specifically be against the rules.

Aug 26, 2015
Larry Bird was a dirty player??? Too funny. If you want to model Charles Barkley as the example for your DD to follow, good luck with that. There are plenty of things screwed up with society in general, and youth sports in particular. The latter tends to reflect the former, and most all of the problems start with the adults who can't or won't properly teach their kids, and then throw a fit when someone has the temerity to talk about what's right instead of what might not specifically be against the rules.

Again, your logic is nonsensical. I never said my DD would model Charles Barkley. He's a power forward in basketball. She plays softball. Staying on topic, each of those players are considered the best to ever play and having great respect for THEIR sport. Each of them also consistently and deliberately confused and antagonized their opponent from the jump ball to the closing seconds of the game.

JJSqueeze said it this way:
I think the pace and contact nature of basketball make this sort of thing seem OK. Softball seems more of a game where opponents take turns. And in sports like that sportsmanship includes each person be able to take their "turn" without being unduly interfered with.

It boils down to a question of interference. The reason why this is against the rules is clearly a byproduct of interference. I come from an interference sport. SB isn't one of them. I can clearly see how yelling "ball" or "I got it" is the equivalent of going over and tugging at the glove. I didn't see that before the discussion. I saw it as 2 totally different things.

The latter tends to reflect the former, and most all of the problems start with the adults who can't or won't properly teach their kids, and then throw a fit when someone has the temerity to talk about what's right instead of what might not specifically be against the rules.

I didn't throw a fit. I am clearly and concisely addressing each of your unfounded accusations point by point. If you don't like it, you don't have to click reply. You can have the temerity to talk about whatever you please. But that's a privilege that I indulge in as well. I asked about what I perceived to be a nuance of the game to experts (at least I deem DFP by and large as experts). I'm not attempting to skirt rules or bend them. I'm getting educated on the game. Is it so troubling to ask a basic question coming from a different background than yours? I didn't say anything tongue in cheek. I didn't insinuate that it might be ok. I asked the question. You made it about more than that. You chimed in with your opinion on the definition of ultra competitive and insinuated that I'm a rule bender. I challenged your insinuation head on. Note: You never even answered the question as most did. You just spewed an opinion that is opposite of the definition of the word and in an attempt to "educate" me on my societal views, you exposed your inability to define words.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I didn't throw a fit. I am clearly and concisely addressing each of your unfounded accusations point by point.

I don't take issue with anything you've said really.

But I admit to laughing a little as I think how this is a thread about whether it's OK to distract/rattle your opponent, and here you are getting easily distracted/rattled.

It's just the way these threads work. I might start a thread asking if the coach was too rough on my daughter. Somebody is liable to say that my daughter is a baby and needs to grow up and that she wouldn't be that way if I weren't so inept as a father.

OK, so what? When I ask for advice, I'm asking for honest reactions, no matter how fair, logical, helpful, absurd those reactions might be. I don't take offense. It's an anonymous board. It's where you find out what people really think. All is good.

Aug 26, 2015
I don't take issue with anything you've said really.

But I admit to laughing a little as I think how this is a thread about whether it's OK to distract/rattle your opponent, and here you are getting easily distracted/rattled.

It's just the way these threads work. I might start a thread asking if the coach was too rough on my daughter. Somebody is liable to say that my daughter is a baby and needs to grow up and that she wouldn't be that way if I weren't so inept as a father.

OK, so what? When I ask for advice, I'm asking for honest reactions, no matter how fair, logical, helpful, absurd those reactions might be. I don't take offense. It's an anonymous board. It's where you find out what people really think. All is good.

What "rattled" me is the image of my daughter having bruised ribs for not knowing that something is taboo and not asking me (in an off chance) before trying something new. That, however, was addressed in this thread. Publicly and privately. However, the bigger issue of a "sit down and shut up" mentality because you ask a "stupid question" (in their eyes) is disgusting. The question was asked and answered different ways and I deeply appreciate every response to the question. To my thinking, the thread was dead until someone decides to give their opinion and insinuate something that is clearly not the case. The point is anyone can say anything. I get that. I am someone, too. So, I can respond in kind. And unlike the few who have privately thanked me, I have no issue publicly addressing nonsense on a point by point basis. So, it's not a distraction for me. If you push, you can be pushed. If you can't handle it, don't push. If I ever started getting "in my feelings" about this, I'd stop and reassess and apologize where I was wrong (not a blanket "I'm sorry if I offended"). I'm not the type of guy who has an issue with an opinion being stated. I have an issue when someone insinuates something but not flat out says "you're wrong and this is why I think so", yet try to give the impression that "I'm taking it too far" when I reply to their opinion. The rule of any thread is simple....if you post, you open yourself up. I'm totally ok with that. It goes both ways, though. That's the point.

Again I'll state. This has been a great discussion and I deeply appreciate the "softball" education of it. Seems like everyday I find out a little more about how unique it really is.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
DOADL- looks like having you around will spice things up a bit, so welcome. Your original question was pretty boneheaded IMO, not a big deal, everyone needs to go through their FNG phase. But if you realize that you are a noob then having your gonads speed bagged a little is part of the welcoming process so don't take it too seriously. Think of it more like some vets razzing a rookie and maybe it won't seem like you are being lectured. Most of us have been where you are, young kid exhibits some skill and desire to play a sport, they have some talent and we are excited and jump right in to help them. We come on the board with some misconceptions and those further down the road tell us to settle down a little... You have a lot to look forward to.

DO me a favor and post a video of her swing in the technical hitting forum...this won't be useful, but I really think it would be fun to watch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13