Softball team dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2014
I am a freshman in high school and I want to play college softball. I have a dilemma.

So, currently I play for a travel team that I really enjoy. This past summer we played in somewhat high level tournaments and were very successful. I love all the girls on the team and we have great team chemistry. Unfortunately, the schedule we have for this fall is not one that will get me in front of college coaches and the competition is not what our coaches promised we would be playing. I feel ready to play at a high level to get me ready to play college ball but I don’t feel my current team is getting me there.
Now, I have a high level team playing very high exposure tournaments offering me a spot on their team. The coaches are very experienced and the girls are very motivated to play at a high level. By playing on this team I know I would have a better chance of achieving my goal but Im not sure if I want to give up a team that I love to a team I may not like as much.
So, if you were me would you go with the team that your heart is with and you adore, or would you take the team that would get me to play at a college that I want?

Also, is there any other advice you have about what a high school freshman should be doing to get recruited?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Loyalty and playing with friends is all fine and good, but you have to do what is best for you. Take some time and give it some thought and consideration, then do whatever is best for your future.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do not burn any bridges. You might leave and want to come back. Be upfront with your current coach and team.

The fall season isn't so important. Colleges are playing, now, too.

I'll let the parents that have had daughter's go down this path talk about contacting the coaches. I am a former teacher and I will talk about your education. Make certain that your grades are above average. All A's, high test scores and advanced classes, help. Look for the little things that you can do at school to give you an edge. Study group? Tutor others? A class at summer school? A class at the community college? It makes it SO much easier, when the college coach doesn't have to worry about your grades or your dedication to staying out of trouble.

Good luck. Are you in Alaska?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I am a freshman in high school and I want to play college softball. I have a dilemma.

So, currently I play for a travel team that I really enjoy. This past summer we played in somewhat high level tournaments and were very successful. I love all the girls on the team and we have great team chemistry. Unfortunately, the schedule we have for this fall is not one that will get me in front of college coaches and the competition is not what our coaches promised we would be playing. I feel ready to play at a high level to get me ready to play college ball but I don’t feel my current team is getting me there.
Now, I have a high level team playing very high exposure tournaments offering me a spot on their team. The coaches are very experienced and the girls are very motivated to play at a high level. By playing on this team I know I would have a better chance of achieving my goal but Im not sure if I want to give up a team that I love to a team I may not like as much.
So, if you were me would you go with the team that your heart is with and you adore, or would you take the team that would get me to play at a college that I want?

Also, is there any other advice you have about what a high school freshman should be doing to get recruited?

This is a life lesson--all choices involve trade-offs.

You ask, "If you were me...." None of us are you. YOU (and your parents) have to decide.

Nov 29, 2009

At this point you need to do what is best for yourself. As a freshman in HS you needed to start contacting coaches 6 months ago to get on their radar. There are many resources available to you with information about the recruiting process. Cathy Aradi has a book that gives you a good outline of how to start. You need to dedicate several hours a week to the process once you've decided what your goals are with your education and where you'd like to go to school. Then factor in softball.

Good luck with your search.

As for the current team. Those girls will still be your friends even though you're not playing with them anymore. If they aren't it's their loss. You'll find more friends on the new team.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
You have to get the coaches to come out and see you. Just playing on a team that has coaches present doesn't get you seen-myth.

Reality is wherever you play you have to do the work to get a coaches attention off the field and then get them to the field when you play regardless of when, where, what team you play on.

So regardless of what team you choose its up to you to get seen. Changing teams doesn't accomplish your goal ;)

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
What playing time will you be allotted on the other High level team? Will you be a starter or a part time player thus lessening your potential for a coach to come see you play.

Dec 7, 2011
Your answer has to be a reflection of who YOU are.

MANY good softball players in my area play high school SB and the local TB-B club (with their local friends) and they do just fine going and playing D3 SB close by. For these girls that have their priorities as staying close to home in college and just playing somewhere I would suggest the additional cost of joining a nationally travelling TB-A organization might not be extra-money-well-spent (along with leaving your current friend-set).

BUT if you are looking for a potentially "paid for" education, and a potentially "better" education at a school that might be further away from home, or if you are looking (needing) to be in a sports environment that is always challenging you to be better then the TB-A environment (and leaving your local SB team) is what you should do.

Of course you should weigh your unfiltered skills potential too. And I know that can be VERY difficult for everyone in your familiy. If a TB-A coach is coming to you looking to get you on their team you could probably assume you are playing at a level below your capabilities (assuming this is an established coach on an established TB-A team).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom