So, tell me your theories on stealing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
So if you have team speed they give you runs for stealing even if, for whatever reason, you get thrown out a lot? Interesting….
There are coaches posting on this website who have limited selection of quality players for their teams.
They are unable to obtain the players that have skill sets beyond the small pond they play in. Already read thorough discussion in the bunting thread about statistics that is beating a dead horse at this point.
You know there is more to playing the sport then numbers. Unless you need a link to what you have already posted. Daughter's college team has runners steel routinely. Daughters 16u team has runners steel routinely. Younger daughter's team has player steel routinely. They aren't always safe but more often they are because we do not have chunky monkeys we have speedy rabbits. The conversation about the one base closer is not much of a help is a fools message 60 ft closer is 60 ft closer.

Jun 8, 2016
They aren't always safe but more often they are because we do not have chunky monkeys we have speedy rabbits. The conversation about the one base closer is not much of a help is a fools message 60 ft closer is 60 ft closer.
My point (being made with sarcasm obviously) was that nothing you said contradicted what he said....

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Some teams just aren’t built to steal bases. That’s ok.

Straight steals happen, and happen all the time. These are players that get a great jump and are pretty fast.

I prefer to see crimes of opportunity.

Players who ”steal” a lot of bases are both fairly fast and smart. They usually have a team green light to read the situation and react without hesitation. They are timing their departure from the bag and they are always acceptably early.

They are looking for an edge and recognize it when they see it. A pitch out of the zone, a catcher that is dropping to block. They have picked a change up. They never miss a ball on the ground. Good catchers don’t give you many opportunities and you can’t afford to miss them.

Especially at younger ages, consider how you slide. Do you slide straight into the bag if the throw looks good? Or slide behind the bag late and avoid the tagger behind it? Being where the tag isn’t can be pretty helpful. Some players are reading how the ss is moving toward the ball and adjusting.

When it comes to leaving acceptably early… Two umpire crew? Is the field ump paying attention? Some say the foot along the base is harder for him to see leaving early.

Rolling off the base and reading or bursting off the base hard? Idk. I don’t think it matters. I think there is a time for both. I probably prefer rolling off so you are timing the catcher so you don’t have to stop forward momentum if the catcher bobbles. What does matter is where the hips are pointed. I hate to see players lead then pop sideways with hips pointed at catcher.

Baserunning is looked at as an individual thing. It isn’t. A team of base runners are like an organized gang of havoc creators. One runner can give another runner cover. The look back rule is in effect when the pitcher has the ball in the circle and the batter runner has reached first base. .. Until then, every runner has to help the other members of the running team. If the runner on 3 is standing with two feet on the bag looking at third base coach, she are not helping the runner at 1. If the batter runner unnecessarily over runs the bag at 1 and doesn’t round hard, she is not helping the runner(s) ahead of her.

A lot of this, like most things in life, is covered in The Outlaw Josey Wales. There is a scene or a line that applies to almost every situation a person will encounter in life and softball. All Americans should have Outlaw JW and Moneyball playing in continuous loop at all times, even though Moneyball discourages stealing bases.

Jun 8, 2016
Argue with yourself so much
Explain what this means because you have said it twice and I still have no f'ing idea what you are talking about. When I respond to a comment YOU make to me that is me "arguing" with you..

This is a discussion board, if you don't want to discuss don't f'ing post.

Mar 10, 2020
Explain what this means because you have said it twice and I still have no f'ing idea what you are talking about. When I respond to a comment YOU make to me that is me "arguing" with you..

This is a discussion board, if you don't want to discuss don't f'ing post.
You take an argumentative stance too often. Look how upset you are.

Jun 8, 2016
For the case of no outs and stealing second, divide 1 by the difference in the run expectancies for runner on 1st with no outs and runner on 2b with no outs.
MLB 4.17 steals to gain 1 run
D1 softball 3.45 steals to gain 1 run
D2 softball 3.01 steals to gain 1 run
D3 softball 2.55 steals to gain 1 run
10U softball 0.1 steal to gain 1 run

ok I made the last one up...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Obliterated the ignorance of others.
(In my most non-argumentative voice) Facts/numbers are not opinions regardless of whether they line up with the dogma somebody adheres to or not. Whether they are applicable to every situation is a different story.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Some teams just aren’t built to steal bases. That’s ok.

Straight steals happen, and happen all the time. These are players that get a great jump and are pretty fast.

I prefer to see crimes of opportunity.

Players who ”steal” a lot of bases are both fairly fast and smart. They usually have a team green light to read the situation and react without hesitation. They are timing their departure from the bag and they are always acceptably early.

They are looking for an edge and recognize it when they see it. A pitch out of the zone, a catcher that is dropping to block. They have picked a change up. They never miss a ball on the ground. Good catchers don’t give you many opportunities and you can’t afford to miss them.

Especially at younger ages, consider how you slide. Do you slide straight into the bag if the throw looks good? Or slide behind the bag late and avoid the tagger behind it? Being where the tag isn’t can be pretty helpful. Some players are reading how the ss is moving toward the ball and adjusting.

When it comes to leaving acceptably early… Two umpire crew? Is the field ump paying attention? Some say the foot along the base is harder for him to see leaving early.

Rolling off the base and reading or bursting off the base hard? Idk. I don’t think it matters. I think there is a time for both. I probably prefer rolling off so you are timing the catcher so you don’t have to stop forward momentum if the catcher bobbles. What does matter is where the hips are pointed. I hate to see players lead then pop sideways with hips pointed at catcher.

Baserunning is looked at as an individual thing. It isn’t. A team of base runners are like an organized gang of havoc creators. One runner can give another runner cover. The look back rule is in effect when the pitcher has the ball in the circle and the batter runner has reached first base. .. Until then, every runner has to help the other members of the running team. If the runner on 3 is standing with two feet on the bag looking at third base coach, she are not helping the runner at 1. If the batter runner unnecessarily over runs the bag at 1 and doesn’t round hard, she is not helping the runner(s) ahead of her.

A lot of this, like most things in life, is covered in The Outlaw Josey Wales. There is a scene or a line that applies to almost every situation a person will encounter in life and softball. All Americans should have Outlaw JW and Moneyball playing in continuous loop at all times, even though Moneyball discourages stealing bases.
Wowzah what a great read @Westwind!

Tenths of a second matter!
Leaving the base efficiently
and
Watching the catchers mechanics...
Can either be efficient or eat up tenths of seconds.

As a runner I look at not only the catcher's arm,
but also look at catchers mechanics.

Are they athletic and controlling the ball with their glove
Or
if they are limiting their mobilty by starting with one knee down, then where pitch is going.
Or
if they are dropping to block and get into a squishy position, weight down they lose their athletic posture.
They lose mobility.

Even looking at how some catchers draw the ball backwards, some actually step backwards with a leg (after picking ball up off the ground, blocking from their knees,)
and move the ball further backwards.
Makes for a longer throw and
Takes extra time.

Details are important!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii